OilRush now accepting Pre-Orders

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

OilRush now accepting Pre-Orders

Post by Tchernobog »

OilRush is an upcoming real time strategy game utilizing the Unigine engine, quite possibly the most advanced graphics engine on the market today. They have started accepting pre-orders for the game this week, which will offer you a development version of the game and updates until the games final release which is currently expected in June. You can currently pre-order the game for $19.95 (approximately 14.5 EUR) for both Linux and Windows, although the final game is also planned to have a version for the Playstation 3.

ImageImageImageImage

I am posting this here specifically because the developers are very Linux friendly and if their efforts are successful it could greatly improve the Linux gaming scene by encouraging the development of Linux compatible graphically rich titles. Currently about 90% of their pre-orders have been from Linux users, but we also need Windows users to contribute to make this happen. And if you want to stretch the limits of your hardware, there are very few games that can compare to those powered by Unigine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OilRush
http://oilrush-game.com/
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Re: OilRush now accepting Pre-Orders

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Looks cool! Too bad i don't like strategy games
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Well, I became quite enamoured with the original Age of Empires games, but never really got used to RTS games after they moved to 3D. But to support Unigine I am willing to give them another shot, if not for this particular title, but for the other ones to be or already spawned.

By the way, they were working on a more action oriented game a while back, last I heard they put it on hold to finish OilRush. That might be more up both our alleys if it ever comes to fruition.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Tchernobog wrote:Well, I became quite enamoured with the original Age of Empires games, but never really got used to RTS games after they moved to 3D. But to support Unigine I am willing to give them another shot, if not for this particular title, but for the other ones to be or already spawned.

By the way, they were working on a more action oriented game a while back, last I heard they put it on hold to finish OilRush. That might be more up both our alleys if it ever comes to fruition.
Same here, sorta. Too bad AOE2 was so constrained. Would have been a great remake.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Interestingly enough, there is a project to make a 3D game like Age of Empires called 0 A.D.:

http://os.wildfiregames.com/

They were originally a bunch of AoE 2 modders, who then decided to make a full blown original game. The project become free software and openly developed a few years back, and now it finally looks like they are inching close to a release.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Wow. Looks a lot like Empire Earth, iirc. Pretty tho. I really like the Africa scene!

Eek, are we going too off-topic? This is the first I've heard of that Oil Rush game.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I am not surprised you have never heard of Oil Rush, although the developers are well known in the hardware scene for their demanding engine benchmarks. They are also well known in the Linux community because of their strong support for the platform. Unigine should really invest in more Windows media coverage though.

0 A.D. is indeed progressing nicely. I have actually played some of the Alphas and Betas, and the engine is quite solid, even if the game needs some more work yet.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

OilRush is now also planned to have a native client for Mac OS X as well.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... &px=OTE5NQ

They still would like more pre-order sales, but frankly this seems to be as much their fault as anyone else's. They simply have not done enough marketing, and you do not even need to spend money on it to get the word out. Linux users have been very generous, but Windows users basically have not shown up, and that is because it has not been marketed to them. That is why I posted this thread of course, but still, Unigine needs to learn how to market its games.