Xfire now supports DOSBox

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Ransu
Cheetah

Xfire now supports DOSBox

Post by Ransu »

Xfire is similar to Steam in the way that you can chat while in-game, but it has more features such as taking screenshots, recording videos, live broadcasting, and more. A new update just came in that includes DOSBox in their support. Now people can use Xfire's features on it. I'm thinking of doing some videos or broadcasts of Blood. :P

EDIT: Currently only Direct Draw renderer is supported. I'm trying to request support for OpenGL right now because it works better with Xfire.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: Xfire now supports DOSBox

Post by Tchernobog »

This does sound a little cool, but I can not help but feel they are limiting themselves by just supporting Windows. There are enough games on Mac and Linux to justify that they offer support for them, especially if emulators like Dosbox are being taken into account. I at least hope you can convince them to suport the OpenGL renderer at least.

Do not get me wrong, this is cool news, even if it would probably suck to much bandwidth for me to try it out personally. :banghead:

EDIT: It looks like there have been others with similar views, and have actually been trying to reverse engineer the protocol. I still think they should extend official, full support, to the mentioned platforms though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfire#Thir ... ifications
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

An Xfire Game Master replied to my request and gave me the new code to put into Xfire's ini file then asked me to test it out.

Image Full size version here: http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/111421107-4.jpg

As you can see, it's working and it uses the newer interface unlike Direct Draw. :D
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

That is Win.