Duke Nukem Forever to be released in 2011

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Ransu
Cheetah

Duke Nukem Forever to be released in 2011

Post by Ransu »

Gearbox Software confirmed today at PAX 2010 that they have taken over development of Duke Nukem Forever with a release date of sometime in 2011. Let's hope it stays that way...
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Re: Duke Nukem Forever to be released in 2011

Post by Slink »

Ransu wrote:Gearbox Software confirmed today at PAX 2010 that they have taken over development of Duke Nukem Forever with a release date of sometime in 2011. Let's hope it stays that way...
WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111ELEVEN!!!!!!!!!!

Wi-shal Si!
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I'll have to read the news release, but I wonder if they are going to be able to use the existing materials that have already been made for it, or if they are going to have to create from scratch.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

What kind of developers are Gearbox? I am a bit leery of what appears to be a console oriented developer taking on the task of finishing a PC gaming classic. I hope my concerns are groundless though. I am relieved to see that some of the DNF development team have been hired by Gearbox.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

They did Borderlands. I've not had a chance to play it, but my friends like it a lot. I could see them doing a decent job of it if they just have to finish up what was already done.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

DustyStyx wrote:They did Borderlands. I've not had a chance to play it, but my friends like it a lot. I could see them doing a decent job of it if they just have to finish up what was already done.
Don't. Just don't. It's too good. Well, "addictive" is more like it. I... I can't seem to stop yet...

As for what they have done, one of their flagship products was "Half-Life: Opposing Force", the first addition to Half-Life after the original release. Definitely NOT a console/consolized game. Sticking to FPS games, they began creating & releasing the Brothers in Arms series, always faithful to their PC player base.

See Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gearbox_software

EDIT: Interesting/funny that they also did 007: Nightfire for PC. hahaha completely different game/engine from the console ones. PC version used the GoldSrc (Half-Life 1) engine
quakegod667
Rat

Post by quakegod667 »

Slink wrote:
DustyStyx wrote:They did Borderlands. I've not had a chance to play it, but my friends like it a lot. I could see them doing a decent job of it if they just have to finish up what was already done.
Don't. Just don't. It's too good. Well, "addictive" is more like it. I... I can't seem to stop yet...

As for what they have done, one of their flagship products was "Half-Life: Opposing Force", the first addition to Half-Life after the original release. Definitely NOT a console/consolized game. Sticking to FPS games, they began creating & releasing the Brothers in Arms series, always faithful to their PC player base.

See Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gearbox_software

EDIT: Interesting/funny that they also did 007: Nightfire for PC. hahaha completely different game/engine from the console ones. PC version used the GoldSrc (Half-Life 1) engine
I've heard that they're including a demo with the Game of the Year edition of Borderlands. Maybe you spoke too soon? :evillaugh:
Maligned
Axe Zombie

Post by Maligned »

They have a pretty solid team of developers.
Randy Pitchford was also a hardcore Duker and level designer for certain maps in Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition and Shadow Warrior.

I'm just hoping multiplayer will be decent at least.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Amazon has the release date set to February 1st. http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Foreve ... 158&sr=8-1
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Ok...now they changed it to May 31st. :?
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Hmm... that sounds a little familiar. :roll:
ZedSlayer
Axe Zombie

Post by ZedSlayer »

If I remember correctly, unless Gearbox officially states a specific date, we ignore the Amazon dates.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Well, now they have, and it is closer to the second Amazon date:
May 3, 2011 (North America)
May 6, 2011 (Internationally)

http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto ... ailer-3891
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XbrJM3C0jo

New trailer that just came out today. Contains censors for nudity and stuff. :wink: I also read that the console ports plus the multiplayer will be done by Piranha Games. Seems that the game was originally developed for PC first.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Ransu wrote:Seems that the game was originally developed for PC first.
Well, yeah, it is still based on the original 3D Realms code-base isn't it? Could you see them developing it with a console focus?