Shogo on Linux

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

DustyStyx
2D Artist

Shogo on Linux

Post by DustyStyx »

Split from [ Poll ] What game sequel do you expect Monolith to do next?

A bit after Blood II and Shogo were released, Lith had a guy going by the name Loki who was keen on doing Lithtech server port for Linux. I'm not sure if it was ever finished. I don't remember hearing much about if afterward.

As for Lith's current Linux aspirations, it's hard to say, things seem more pro-XBox than pro-Linux, if anything they might put the effort into making sure it is Wine compatible. F.E.A.R. 2 looks like it is fully compatible, however that might not have anything to do with Lith's intentions.
Last edited by DustyStyx on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

DustyStyx wrote:A bit after Blood II and Shogo were released, Lith had a guy going by the name Loki who was keen on doing Lithtech server port for Linux. I'm not sure if it was ever finished. I don't remember hearing much about if afterward.

As for Lith's current Linux aspirations, it's hard to say, things seem more pro-XBox than pro-Linux, if anything they might put the effort into making sure it is Wine compatible. F.E.A.R. 2 looks like it is fully compatible, however that might not have anything to do with Lith's intentions.
Loki Software was considering porting LithTech? Damn, shame they went bankrupt...

I was just over a Tux Games, and noticed that Prey is currently the top seller there. In fact, it oversold stock so they need to order more copies. As I recall Prey, while not unknown, was not all that popular when it was originally released for Windows (It was a commercial success, but not a phenomenon as it were). F.E.A.R by contrast is more widely known, and has a more dedicated following. Imagine how well Monolith could potentially do if they just got Ryan Gordon to port it (He only spent about four months on Prey), and released a client for Linux?

Anyway, back to the original point of the thread. I personally think that they will just stick with there current brands (F.E.A.R or Condemned), and just ignore their older series. I would not be too surprised if there was a Shogo 2 announced, but I wouldn't count on it...
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Wow, really? Because Prey was BUUUUNNNNK. Bawt it for $5, played it once. Not again. :)

So how do they port those games to Linux? Is there some DirectX alternative for Linux to which D3D games must be ported to run with similar graphics?

-Slink
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Slink wrote:Wow, really? Because Prey was BUUUUNNNNK. Bawt it for $5, played it once. Not again. :)

So how do they port those games to Linux? Is there some DirectX alternative for Linux to which D3D games must be ported to run with similar graphics?

-Slink
When a DirectX game gets ported to Linux, the 3D Rendering is usually handled by a OpenGL library (usually MESA) and the rest is handled by the SimpleDirect Media Layer (SDL). Both being Free Software come with most Linux Distributions by default.

Prey is not all that bad, not as good as Doom3, but not all that bad. Its problem is that it is merely good, but not exceptional, meaning you loose interest after a while...

Sorry if I have hijacked you thread Ransu... :shrug:
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Tchernobog wrote:Loki Software was considering porting LithTech? Damn, shame they went bankrupt...
It wasn't Loki Software, it was a guy that Lith had in employ. I don't think the two were related.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Didn't Hyperion make a Linux shogo port?

http://shogo.thehaus.net/interviews/int ... mans.shtml
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Cool! That's new to me.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

A forum full of linux gurus and you don't know about the shogo port?

You mock me sir! You mock me! :oops: :( :cry: :-x
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Yeah, I didn't know about the Return of the Blind Dead movies until today either. :shrug: No one's perfect.

Anyway, I should probably split this thread some administrator I am. :P

I've used Linux in the past, (first tried it with Red Hat 5 and Slackware 4) I've taken a Unix/Linux class at college... 3 years ago. I'm impressed with Fedora 10, and I might use it on my next computer, but for the most part I'm an old DOS junkie. I've never really paid attention to the games that were had on it.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

DustyStyx wrote:Yeah, I didn't know about the Return of the Blind Dead movies until today either. :shrug: No one's perfect..
Hey, dont worry about it Dusty, after a year of searching for Linux shooters I did not find Shogo until I was browsing the Wikipedia Category "Games for Linux"... :wink:
DustyStyx wrote:I've used Linux in the past, (first tried it with Red Hat 5 and Slackware 4) I've taken a Unix/Linux class at college... 3 years ago. I'm impressed with Fedora 10, and I might use it on my next computer, but for the most part I'm an old DOS junkie. I've never really paid attention to the games that were had on it.

I have been using Fedora since version 4, being a RedHat junkie ever since I first tried RedHat 8. Fedora 7 was impressive, Fedora 8 was great, Fedora 9 was a little disappointing but still good, and Fedora 10 has not given me any problems yet. It is even handling fine with under a gig of memory and an intensive virtual machine running most of the time...

Anyway, if anyone wants to try Shogo on Linux I suggest you have a look at this Guide written by me and a few Gamers from the FedoraForum:
http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Sh ... tion_Guide
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Tchernobog wrote: Sorry if I have hijacked you thread Ransu... :shrug:
Ah it's alright. I was trying to get this forum more talkative again and obviously it's working! :D
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Finally installed Fedora on my old desktop computer. My Wife has hijacked the laptop, so I've been without for a while. It's been 3 days and I've yet to get the video drivers installed for the nVidia card I have. First I had to break out of XWindows to install the drivers apperntly Alt+Ctrl+F2 for a shell login wasn't good enough, I had to pass grub a boot parameter on start-up to get it to boot into runlevel 3, a bit like hitting F8 to get into Safemode in windows. Anyway, I get into installing nVidia's drivers from shell and then I find out I have the wrong kernel version. Since the kernel is a little older I guess I should really figure out how to compile that. or hunt down an older version of the nVidia drivers.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

DustyStyx wrote:Finally installed Fedora on my old desktop computer. My Wife has hijacked the laptop, so I've been without for a while. It's been 3 days and I've yet to get the video drivers installed for the nVidia card I have. First I had to break out of XWindows to install the drivers apperntly Alt+Ctrl+F2 for a shell login wasn't good enough, I had to pass grub a boot parameter on start-up to get it to boot into runlevel 3, a bit like hitting F8 to get into Safemode in windows. Anyway, I get into installing nVidia's drivers from shell and then I find out I have the wrong kernel version. Since the kernel is a little older I guess I should really figure out how to compile that. or hunt down an older version of the nVidia drivers.
Good to hear you have Fedora Installed.

When it comes to Video Drivers, I cant really help you mostly because I use an ATI card and I generally just use the standerd free software drivers for display. There are some guides over a the FedoraForum which could help you if you get stuck though.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I gave up and went back to Windows. I think my old box is cursed and it's actually impossible to get Linux running 100% on the hardware.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

DustyStyx wrote:I gave up and went back to Windows. I think my old box is cursed and it's actually impossible to get Linux running 100% on the hardware.
I have a few machines like that. Nothing worked on them, Windows 98, Red Hat 8, Windows XP, nothing seemed to work right. I just hope that experience does not sour your appreciation for Fedora.