Buggiest game ever?

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

i played blood 2 on target machine. and i still have the target machine actually. whole lotta bugs in that game.

limbs/heads stuck in the air. enemies running into walls, other ai stupidity, inability to shake off leeches or spiders (sometimes, it was fixed later though) but sometimes you can die from spider or a leech and load a quicksave and the screen would be still affected (dark or delirius), ridiculous weapons and difficulty levels imbalance, etc. oh yes, that infamous sound repetition! "you wil die a slow slow death!". dumb... in several levels you can "fall out" of the level trough the floor in certain places.

also almost everything feels unfinished and just rushed.

and what's really lame is that the patches to the latest version were 22mb, in the days of dialup that was huge. and the patches seemed not to fix anything. i'm talking about the single player. never bothered to check out blood II multiplayer because you have your weapons of choice right from the start, no physics (even blood1 had it's own physics sort of), all that crap.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

mmm reloading save games and the death anim replays

mmmm static flame bursts that won't go away

mmmmmm out of sync issues even with 2 players on ipx

p100mhz, 32mb, sb16
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Goldrick wrote:As my first post i'd say Tron 2.0 (on release) was one of the buggiest games i've ever played.

And for the record HL2 only had one MAJOR bug, something to do with stuttering sound on certain systems (I personally didn't come across it :) )
Welcome in!

Yeah, I think they fixed that. All you had to do at the time was turn down the sound quality on a sh!tty computer system.

Blood only had a few bugs. Pretty solid for the most part.
Swinging doors smash you. "OW, THAT OAK WAS SO DENSE." Bunkest bug ever. Esp. in coop: you have all weapons and are a few levels in and a door kills you.
I second leileilol, but Blood is FAR from bad. Was pretty polished. Try PoP:WW. Terrible.
Last edited by Slink on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I'd call the death anim replay on save a "feature" :gargoyle:

I'm not sure what you mean by "Static flame bursts."

I did forget about the occasional burning man that wont fall down and die. he'll turn into a zombie on reload.

Spiders that spawn in water wont die, yet they will if they fall in water. That's a bug of sorts.

Sorry to hear you had IPX troubles on a 2 player network. We'd play 4 or 5 at a time, back in the day. We wouldn't have any problems until a 6th would join, and then only occasionally. That was on P120's with 16MB of RAM.

Were you playing coop more often then not or was it straight up Bloodbath? We would do Bloodbath for the most part.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

DustyStyx wrote:Spiders that spawn in water wont die, yet they will if they fall in water. That's a bug of sorts.
Well, things that spawn in a certain sector (or get teleported straight on) do not send "on enter" to the game as they never "entered". They were always there (also being teleported in mid-air doesn't count as entering a sector when your feet touch the ground). Enemies (and Caleb) have to walk from one sector into another for that to happen.
DustyStyx wrote:Sorry to hear you had IPX troubles on a 2 player network. We'd play 4 or 5 at a time, back in the day. We wouldn't have any problems until a 6th would join, and then only occasionally. That was on P120's with 16MB of RAM.
Yes OOS problems occur mostly when one of the participants has a high latency toward other players. A few days ago I had a perfectly synced connection with my comrade Fil (oBe) through an entire episode of RATM. I'm talking under 10ms latency. Like we were using a 15cm cable to connect. New Hamachi seems to perform alot better than before.
Slink wrote:Swinging doors smash you. "OW, THAT OAK WAS SO DENSE." Bunkest bug ever. Esp. in coop: you have all weapons and are a few levels in and a door kills you.
They only smash you if the wall was set not to be Blocking. If it's Blocking, you can't jump over it, but at least you're sure you cant get "under" it and get squashed. I never had that problem in the game though.

There's a bug some of you may forgotten about. When you load a game straight from the main menu after loading BLOOD, no depth-cueing will be present in that level. So you have to fire up a New Game before loading another.

Another interesting fact is that there were two bottles that have always existed in the retail maps but do not physically appear in-game since version 1.11 (tiles 605 and 606)

Then there is that "bug" that occurs when underwater creatures get on another's head, so they get stuck and cant move at all.

There is an interesting bug that concerns kickable items crossing over through sprite sector stacks. Their shading is permanently changed in the process (+30) and they will refuse to adopt sector shading as they get kicked around further.

As for the HL2... I remember a bug that involved certain NPCs not responding to scripted commands. I even remember allot of "remedies" that emerged around the boards and people saying that you just need to "look at the girl straight in the eyes for a few minutes" and she activates the elevator for you. :lol:
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Dark Messiah: Might and Magic

This game featured several serious show stopping bugs, refused to start, crashed constantly... and a laundry list of other issues that users still fight with.
Sad as it's such a great game.

Vampire: Bloodlines

So sad, the game was basically released unfinished. Given that Toika was given an incomplete, buggy version of the Source engine the game had little chance of being stable upon release.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I personally had no issues running the game at release, but a lot of gamers did. Horrible performance, crashes, lockups... and a series of graphical issues and anomalies.

Deus Ex: Invisible War

A poorly handled, badly directed console port pile of s***. The game itself is fun, and the story is very well written. But it was built on an unstable, buggy engine with a flawed lighting system that ate up frame rates and caused several crashes and odd bugs.

Blood II: The Chosen

Sadly, forced out the door by the publisher in an attempt to compete with the other big name titles at the time. And the title had the ill-fate to be the debut game on a brand new engine, problems were destined.
A few more months of polish could've saved Blood 2 from having such a flawed release.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of teh Earth

A s*** port. Console version runs without issue, but the PC version was rushed over, poorly coded and badly supported.

I have more, but right now that's all I can think of.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Oh yeah! I remember brown spider bites causing SYNC ERRORS in IPX lan games.
Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

1. Switching to 3D person mode (F7) and getting killed, then immediately loading save on the same level causes the screen stops refreshing or flicker even in v1.21.
2. After receiving a huge amount of damage in one time (usually explosion or Extra Crispy double barrel) the palette will become very red for few second, it will also affect the main menu, so that you cant see what is selected. But you can call this a feature.
3. Death replay anims is a part of design.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

DustyStyx wrote:Were you playing coop more often then not or was it straight up Bloodbath? We would do Bloodbath for the most part.
Was a coop game, I also remember it happening on the Altar of Stone right at the point where stuff shakes and caleb talks.

This was in 97, every machine was well over 100mhz and had 32mb of RAM or more. (my 486 had 64)
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

I forgive the PC version of CoC, since only one guy ended up doing the port. :)
They all abandoned the game :(
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Ever since Duke3d, build games have been f*cky when you reload while thirdperson is activated. Basically, the camera view starts WAAAYYY in front of the player and slowly zooms backward, eventually to its normal position behind the player. ("Camera" moves backward at same constant speed as when you hit F7 and it comes back from your character's face.)

Build games have their fair share of f*ckiness.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Killer Instinct? Literally the only thing I can come up with that hasn't already been said.
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

I heard Hellgate London is an extremely buggy piece of poo poo. Plus, it looks quite ugly. And let's not get started with the subscription fees and s***... Disgraceful really.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I remembered another one.

The PC port of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo that crashes every 5 minutes and has many other monumentally horrible glitches.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Necrosis wrote:I remembered another one.

The PC port of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo that crashes every 5 minutes and has many other monumentally horrible glitches.
It was a much better port than the Super Street Fighter 2 port that came half a year later. SNES graphics stretched to 320x200 = uuugh.