Killing Time: The Second Topic

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Ransu
Cheetah

Killing Time: The Second Topic

Post by Ransu »

It was not my intention to get the other topic locked. I know it's my fault but I never knew in the first place. Anyways, don't pay attention to what I did. Continue talking about this game. :)
Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

it's all my fault didn't expect you respect law THAT much just wonder why no one closes the forum which discusses violent games and perhaps violates human decency in this case :-)

maybe you should contact the copyright owners to obtain permission for copying the game and its elements since the game has no commercial interest they may agree and then you can type the d*mn link to sound files. don't see any other legal way
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

Because you're comparing apples and oranges.

The depiction of violence is legal. Even the depiction of violations of human decency is legal, even if in bad taste. Note the term depiction, which is different from COMMITTING acts of violence or rights abuse, which are illegal (in most countries). Posting an illegal link to a game download is against the law.

I don't care which country you come from or how lax your society is on breaking laws, on this forum the relevant law will be enforced. Why? Because the law is enforced on us. I'm not worried about the FBI coming down on us, I'm more worried about some rep from Atari wandering along, seeing how their IP is being treated, and finding a forum full of warez. How do you think that would bode for Transfusion?

If you want to complain, do it in a PM to me or Willis. Preferably me since I'm the one making these posts.

Now, get back to talking about the game.
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

Killing Time is cool!
:shooting: :gargoyle:
:shooting: :zombie:
:headshot: :guns:
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

I've never played it, but the screenshots boast an interesting mix of style and technology. The sort of thing you'd expect from a smaller studio that sometimes oddly looks kind of neat.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

mouth wrote:Killing Time is cool!
I agree.

Hopefully others will somehow find a way to rediscover this classic game.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

I've been playing through this very slowly, in between other games and more important tasks in my life.

I still love the game today, I remember when I first played it... hooked me with it's style, story and interesting level design.
Still just as great today.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

I still think the game is sluggish, average fare as it was back then it came out. Late 96 didn't have too many good shooters :/
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Would that explain Half-Life's popularity? That was released in 97 wasn't it?

Doesn't change my mind, mind you...
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Yes, HL was released in late 97... almost 98.

1996 was a big year for FPS, seeing the release of DN3D, Quake and many announcements of upcoming new titles.

Sadly, shooters still based in 2.5D engines (such as BLOOD and Killing Time) were overlooked in 1997. The year was full of 3D powered shooters from Half-Life, SiN to Unreal.
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Cheapy stands corrected. Quake was huge at the time, yes no maybe?
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Damien_Azreal wrote:Sadly, shooters still based in 2.5D engines (such as BLOOD and Killing Time) were overlooked in 1997. The year was full of 3D powered shooters from Half-Life, SiN to Unreal.
Unreal, Half-Life and SiN did not release in 1997.
Drakan wrote:Cheapy stands corrected. Quake was huge at the time, yes no maybe?
Killing Time is basically a horror version of Island Peril.
Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

back to compatibility issues...
tried running it in windows 95 with virtual pc it stops responding BEFORE ghost video and also hangs the real pc. in 98 it just kicks like in xp. i'm getting feeling it depends on version of the game since not everyone complains about that problem.
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Damien_Azreal wrote:Half-Life, SiN to Unreal.
The order is: Quake 2, Unreal, Half Life.

And then Blood 2... and we mock Half Life...

:phantasm:
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

That killing time game looks terrible. It is simply because of poor palette selection. (They had to select only 256 colors to compose their palette.) I liked some of the ideas, and those in-game movie clips were definitely surprising to see. They could have easily implemented reload sequences to avoid Doom's continuous fire cliché. Even Duke3D did it with the pistol.

Heh. I remember anticipating Blood 2, then laughing when I finally saw it... and crying... anyway, HL did have some decent gunplay, but only with the Human Grunts (military men) and the asassins. The game opened some rather unused ideas, such as the low gravity environments in Xen, the long jump, the duck jump. Duke3D would have had much of the same ideas implemented had it not been, shall I say, "constricted" to the build engine and their release date. BTW, many of the Duke3D team members worked on HL.

I was glad to see a secondary fire implemented in HL since Blood did so incredibly well with it, esp. the shotgun.

In HL, the A.I. movement was terrible, as NPC's were restricted to a terrible system of nodes placed by the mapper. Despite this fact, there could still be some excellent teamwork on behalf of the enemy military troops. They used grenades strategically, they could arc an assault rifle grenade through a tiny crack to land where you stood, and then so could I. :) Good times. The game is very dated now.

Wow. This was one of those times when I shoulda just shut the **** up...

-Slink