Postal 3... first official screens... from Mike J of RWS

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Here's a real conclusion: Build engine is the best. I like the feel of Build games the best. Postal 3 should have been done in the Build engine. DNF? Build Engine. Doom 3? Build engine if you ask me. Build engine forever.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Build engine does have a very good feel, and its claims werent based upon making things look fuzzy, bright, or shiny.

I've argued before that aside from a few moments, most of the Doom3 levels could be made in the Build engine - games take 3d for granted these days and don't use them. Non-3d engines like Build use them more. They recognized quality of tools beyond pure cosmetics.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

LOL at Build Engine forever comments...

What's this about a PC port of GoW?
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

No official word on a release date... but Epic and Cliffy did comment that a PC version was and has been in the works for a while.
Said it was rather easy given that GoW was originally built on PCs... porting it over shouldn't be to difficult.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

GoW is pretty much the only retarded FPS (in the sense that Halo is retarded, y'know, everything just kills you just like that) I enjoy, and I don't have a 360, so that is very good to hear. Hopefully that comes soon, I need something to do. >>
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Scar3crow wrote:it ran incredibly slow
Agreed agreed agreed agreed agreed agreed. And the loading times (at least initially) reflected this slowness.

Dimebog wrote:Here's a real conclusion: Build engine is the best. I like the feel of Build games the best. Postal 3 should have been done in the Build engine. DNF? Build Engine. Doom 3? Build engine if you ask me. Build engine forever.
Concerning FPS engines, I think one must consider the Quake Vs. Duke argument. While one revolutionized the market and pretty much made 3d cards a necessity, the other concentrated on gameplay and, you know, fun.

Both games have their own merits, of course, but I think it was Duke I invested more time in (as well as other Build related video games... can't remember what they are...).

:phantasm:
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Ra Ra - The loading times were the worst part for me honestly.
While one revolutionized the market and pretty much made 3d cards a necessity, the other concentrated on gameplay and, you know, fun.
Its not that Quake didn't have an emphasis on such, but rather that it got rushed out. However the tech was pretty much complete at that point - so we got pieces of a game molded into a Doom shape called Quake. Quake still had some clever moments (if you didn't get an emotional response from the second crushing ceiling in e1m3 you are dead - as in you have no cognitive faculties), but it was a very different game aside from being a first person shooter.

Another big point is mods - Quake has derived 11 years of life out of its moddability, and has been surpassed in terms of level design by the community many times over. That is my only problem with Build engine games, mods if they are there require quite the effort to get working properly, and the user maps at best are approaching the developer's level of work.

I think Quake VS Duke is a case where it really is apples and oranges. Both are fruit, but they're different fruit in weight, flavor, texture, color, region, distinct geometry - etc etc.