Gaming PC: Any advice on these products?

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Gaming PC: Any advice on these products?

Post by Slink »

Not sure which of you to ask, but I am planning on eventually building a game system. I am pretty well set on the SLI video cards I want, but I am interested in whether this MOBO is absoulute SH!T.

I am looking at this FOXCONN mobo, the same make as WinFast.
Here is the dealcatcher link.

I have an ANTEC TRUEPOWER II TRUEBLUE 480w PSU,
and I am looking at this CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache 939, whatever memory I can get my hands on (hopefully more than 1.5GB PC2700). I may get a pci soundcard.

I am going to get two GeForce 7600GS SLI because they match the performance of one GF7900 at far less cost, there is just no better bang-for-buck afa nVidia goes.

Thanks for checking it out!

-Slink
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

checkout this one it's pretty damn awesome

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews ... 0&PageId=1

Asus may have come out with a better one by now but check around.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I was thinking a bit cheaper, see, I am wondering if this MoBo will be a complete P.O.S. I guess you sorta get what you pay for. But it is only $66 and it is an SLI board!!

Any other comments? Thanks!

-Slink
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I'd recommend Gigabyte mobos personally, since I've got 3 over here that have yet to let me down, and because the reviewers have said a lot of good things about them, but it's up to you more or less.

Athlon 64's pretty awesome in general, and I'd say you should just get 2gb ram at least, since ram is pretty cheap and it's nice to have.
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Gigabyte is a good choice for the lower end price range, I'm showing around $80 for their SLI board, the GA-K8N-SLI which is probably a better bet than a Foxconn board.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Well, I have decided that FoxConn is an absolutely $#!tty choice to make, so I looked for some boards with nice features:

I found this ABIT board for $130 @ Newegg with these features:
Socket 939 cpu
2 pci slots
Fanless heatsink/heatpipe n.bridge/s.bridge
8GB DDR400 RAM!!
32xSLI PCIe!!!!!
(integrated 5.1ch audio, gigabit ethernet, 4x USB 2.0, +more)

I also found this more expensive ASUS board.
I'm pretty happy with the ABIT, although the ASUS bios sounds tasty.

Whacha think? :)

-Slink
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

The Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI is the motherboard I'm using right now, and it works well. This particular board isn't quite as feature-filled as brands like ASUS, nor does it have the tweakability of a DFI product. But it works just fine, as did my previous board which was also from Gigabyte.

Come to think of it, most people I build PC's for end up with Gigabyte boards. Often because they've used them before, even my more tech-savvy friends are quite pleased with them.

Before I say any more, I better start getting paid by Gigabyte marketing ;)
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Well, Gigabyte certainly has a large fanbase here! :) I must say, the price is excellent for the features, but I think that I am going to save up and buy the ABIT board, for expandability's sake. Thanks to all for your input, it will surely proove useful in the near future.

I guess I am going to get PC3200 RAM... sigh... expensive.

I am pretty excited about the SLI 7600gs, as it is quite a leap from my GF FX5200 128MB card... :)

Now, if gigabyte has a MoBo with 32xSLI, I am all set to $#!T my pants. Do they? :) I couldn't find one.

Thanks!

-Slink