Anyone know about GTA3 mods for PS2?

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Anyone know about GTA3 mods for PS2?

Post by Slink »

^ The question is in the title. ^ Are the mods only for PC, or can you put them on the PS2 hard drive? Thanks!
-Slink
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

What Hard Drive? Seriously, the PS2 doesn't have one besides the specs that run help run the game. And unless the XBOX version has a download content feature, you won't get far with that either.

Sorry Slink. :shrug:
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Well I don't personally know as I've never done it, but there are programs like hdloader and hdadvance that will allow you to copy GTA3 to your harddrive. Note: you may need a mod chip for this to work.

I would imagine that you could then take the harddrive and pop it into your PC. I'm not sure what format the PS2 harddrives are in, but if it's not FAT or NTFS, you'll probably have to have Linux handy. Once you have access to the harddrive, try to mod the game and go from there.

Of course there are easier ways to get what your looking for.
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

I stand corrected...
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Whatever the case, I am actually trying to modify GTA3 for PS2 so that I can make my city for GTA3. Eventually. :) I know I can do it for PC, but I like the PS2 control (for driving, not for walking and aiming.) It least for PC, I would be able to use manual aim instead of horrible lock on aiming with no option to shoot whatever the hell I wanna (like the craptastic way on GTA3 for PS2). I suppose I could get the PS2 controller adapter for PC. I wonder if the analog BUTTONS will work. Anyone know? ;)

Regarding the Hard Drive, PS2 hard drives are not standard issue with PS2's, you have to buy them separately. :) Bastards...
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

I modded GTA 3 for Xbox. The textures and I think the models had to be converted to Xbox format, but it was pretty easy (I got the models from normal PC GTA mod websites).
I had GTA on my Xbox's hard drive (which was I upgraded from a 10GB to and 80GB).
I have my Xbox set up so I can access it from my computer using FTP. I don't know if this is possible on the PS2 (I don't have one)
The downside to the Xbox was if the custom cars I added were too high poly it made the game lag.
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Well... the control for driving a car isn't all that arkward, except if you want to do drive-by shootings. Nothing however, on both PC and PS2, is more arkward than frikking sniping! Yes, even on PC, the control scheme makes it impossible to snipe if you're in a heated situation.

Gah...
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Meh, mouse still owns for snipe aiming...

Boss, I love you. I wonder how I can do it... How did you find out how to do it on xbox?

Thanks!

-Slink
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I'm fairly well acquainted with PS2 modding. I can tell you this, there are two main ways burned/homebrew/etc games are played.

First is swap magic, the method I use. Trick the PS2 into thinking it doesn't open, and switch out a loader disc. Boom. That's all. Burned games become playable via the loader as well as imports.

Second is HDLoader, which is more commonly used due to convenience like you wouldn't believe. HDLoader disc + games on HD = done, as far as I can tell. There's a selection menu, and you just pick one and play it. I'd imagine this would be better for modding due to being able to just switch out files on the HD instead of having to burn a new game each test run, don't you think?
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Definately. :) Thanks for the info! Now, I just have to get acquainted with the GTA3 files for PS2, and find a PS2 hard drive. What can you tell me about the PS2 HD's? (Don't sweat it if you feel like not typing.)
-Slink
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

It probably won't help you but I learned how to mod my Xbox at:
http://www.xbox-scene.com/
there is a section for GTA hacking on the Xbox-Scene forums. (under Game Hacking I think)
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I know they were packaged with FF11, but that's about it. You can likely find one on eBay, and I've heard things about just using any old HD (though I doubt that's REALLY how it works). I'm gonna look around a few sites I know that might sell them or something, and see if they have any. Give me a few minutes (at least, for all I know I'll forget).

Edit: I've got a japanese one but no USA one. 0_o Also, yes, the analog buttons would work. I know because I had an adapter until it broke recently. Red Octane's 2 port adapter... thing. Worked really well and only cost something around $15.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Ok, this seems to be pretty much the best info I can get you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Loader

Looks like it's any hard drive at all. *shrugs*
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

There are a few harddrives that wont work, but there are compatability charts out there so it shouldn't be to hard to figure out.

I really wish they would release something that would allow access to a USB harddrive for my SlimLine PS2. I know there's a saudering kit out there for it, but I have verry limited saudering skills.

Update: Found USBeXtreme. Thanks HDAdvance group.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

...2. Supports 40G to 2T HDD...
WHO THE SILLY F*CK WOULD USE A 2 TERABYTE DRIVE FOR PS2? :)