Blow it out your.....

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Krypto
Cultist

Post by Krypto »

I've always loved Duke Nukem 3D (Atomic Edition) and have various addons for it: Caribbean Life's a Beach, Duke Xtreme, Duke Zone, Duke it out in DC etc. The game is just very addictive and damn good fun :shooting:
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Krypto wrote:I've always loved Duke Nukem 3D (Atomic Edition) and have various addons for it: Caribbean Life's a Beach, Duke Xtreme, Duke Zone, Duke it out in DC etc. The game is just very addictive and damn good fun :shooting:
Ooh, did you get the glow in the dark t-shirt as well?

:phantasm:
Krypto
Cultist

Post by Krypto »

Yep, came in my copy of Duke Apocalypse and an extra in Apocalypse 2 :lol:
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Krypto wrote: Yep, came in my copy of Duke Apocalypse and an extra in Apocalypse 2 :lol:
I've just added you on my friends list. Congratulations.

:phantasm:
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

I find it funny, when a concept (HL2's gravity gun, DN3D's mighty foot) work's well in one game it's awesome.
And everyone talk sabout how much fun it owuld be to have a similar concept in a another game.

But once another game uses said concept... everyone cries "Ripoff!!" :p With such basic thinking, aren't all FPS a basic ripoff of Wolf3D and so on.
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

He's not wrong you know.....
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

To throw in a small thought about thoughts...

I think that it's more of an issue of competition through repetition, in the event that it's not some silly Halo fanboy claiming Halo was the first FPS to have vehicles and that everything ripped it off. I mostly share the opinion, but, say, Doom 3 RoE Grabber was definitely clearly ripping off for the sake of sales. Doom 3 comes out, HL2 follows. HL2 has a nice little thing, Doom 3's expansion, of course, includes their little spin on the same thing. Thus, the industry gets nowhere and everything is a clone of something. It's a problem. In all honesty, if more games use the mighty foot, assuming I know what mighty foot is referring to (quick-kicks, right?), this is a good thing. We basically get something that really adds to convenience in gameplay. And I personally really like Portal's spin on the gravity gun. It's all down to how it's done.

If someone made a GTA clone with gravity guns that might be interesting, but gravity guns and GTA clones will always be apart it seems. ;_;
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I like that bit about GTA and G-guns. That reminds me of Peter Griffin's "You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?". ;)

I like how FEAR did the melee attacks. Cool stuff. Now, if only fear had a gravity gun... ;) AND you could steal cars and pick up hookers... wow. I just blew my mind. Mmmmm, ripoffs... tasty!

-Slink
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

As far as HL2's gravity gun is concerned... it was a gimmick. And one I didn't use very often. It felt cheep and and showed Valve's poor use of teh wonderful physics engine they had.
They could've done huge amazing set peices to really move the story forward. Really pushed the physics in HL2, but they didn't. Instead to show off the physics they give you a gun to pick stuff up with... :roll: I actualy tried to avoid using the Gravity gun in HL2... I just didn't like it.

The grabber in D3: RoE actualy felt useful though. Yes it was the same basic idea, but the use and implamentation was different. The gradder wasn't used as a cheap way to show off physics... it was used as a weapon, and a damn good one.
Grabbing a fireball and tossing back at the imp, then spinning around and grabbing a barrel and throwing it into a zombies face... that felt coll.

True, develop's rip off cool ideas from one another... but how else are cool idea's going to become more evolved and even cooler.

Take FEAR, it's slowmo feature... a basic ripoff of Max Payne's bullet time. But the way it was used in FEAR made it feel fresh and cool, combined with the gunplay and melee combat it made it feel like it was a new feature. I don't know where I'm going with this... hell, I even forgot what started it. :p

But all I'm saying is so what is a game has a cool idea and another game uses it as well. That's how cool ideas become amazing gameplay mechanics. ;)
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Look a bit deeper into RoE. What enemies were present in RoE? About 90% of enemies if I recall correctly (finished it not too long ago, after all) were Imps, Trites, those new imp-like things, and etc, just basically stuff that could be messed with with the grabber. That, to me, feels a lot like a gimmick. Another reason I don't like RoE, actually, is the artifact. Hm. Bullet time. Big frigging deal. Not even that good in D3, it just doesn't feel right.

FEAR's use of bullet time was good, because it was less of "check it out, we have something that looks cool" and more of "use this thing that looks cool, or you will DIE." This is just my opinion as someone who found out in the last 20 minutes of Max Payne 1 that you could do bullet time dodges. Silly, useless feature, from what I could tell. I think I was playing Max Payne for the plot, actually. Graphic novel scenes were pretty nice.

FEAR melee was good, but it didn't really feel like you should be using it enough. Too risky to get that close in FEAR, and when you got close it still seemed to me to be a little less effective than a shot to the face. More games should be doing that and staying below Halo-level melee ("haha I punched you once and you're dead") but basically having a more extensive melee feature in general, making it more fun.

I agree that stuff should be improved upon. I just thought that the grabber was actually a step back. Basically, oh they added grabbing enemy attacks. And in exchange, now you can't even see where you're aiming, and more likely than not you will kill yourself or miss. Not to mention, it felt just plain unfun to me, because it was like "haha, I grabbed your one way of attacking me from afar, now I'll turn that back on you for a one hit kill." Honestly, killing a friend with a toilet felt hella cool to me.

On a sort of related side-note, it seems hard for the Wii to repeat every single thing that comes out on it unless they're trying to. Which is why I'm getting one and ignoring the PS3 and 360.
Krypto
Cultist

Post by Krypto »

The PS3 looks down right bad, It's big for one and the controller is messed up :shock: some big horrible pad :|

http://www.ps3blog.net/wp-content/ps3_controller.jpg

Let's all stick with Nintendo :D back in the day they made High Quality games, and still do! damn good fun and the best around. The SNES and N64 sored and dominated the era.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

id software did 3 revolutions

one was wolf3d, 2nd was doom, 3rd was The Great and Only Quake 1.

the rest is pretty much id ripping off from themselves or other developers (who in turn ripped things from id off.) or some sh!t.

i kinda liked how unreal tournament was overall better single player game than q3 was, and then id releases "team arena" which failed MISERABLY to even stick up to the variety of stuff that unreal tournament had. they even ripped off some FREE mods (harvester=headhunters)...
Krypto
Cultist

Post by Krypto »

Yep, Unreal Tournament is one of my favourite multiplayer games. Liked Team Arena but felt discouraged that they ripped game modes of mods :| all in an attempt to win back it's fans.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Original Unreal multiplay was fun too. That game was strange... Used 3DfxGlide, and had no real transparency system.
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Krypto wrote: The PS3 looks down right bad, It's big for one and the controller is messed up :shock: some big horrible pad :|

http://www.ps3blog.net/wp-content/ps3_controller.jpg

Let's all stick with Nintendo :D back in the day they made High Quality games, and still do! damn good fun and the best around. The SNES and N64 sored and dominated the era.
And we thought the XBOX controller was bad? Geez. And Now the PS3 and 360 are pretty much well.... "Going two steps forward and one step back". Sure the graphics are prettier, but do the controllers provide any room for revolutionizing gaming? Not really. The wii however.... I saw what it can do with the upcoming Rayman game (I think it was...) and the FPS Red Steel. Right, now new and upcoming crap mostly doesn't phase me anymore. But that night when I saw Red Steel and the Wii controller in action...

Christ I was blown away.... and now I see the USD Price....

I AM SOLD!!! HAIL NINTENDO!