A newbie greets you and makes two suggestions

Want to see something included in the game? Let us know here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

A newbie greets you and makes two suggestions

Post by Dimebog »

Hello,

I`m from Serbia, and am a great fan of Blood. Offcourse one of my greatest dreams is to live to see JfBlood (I hope this does not trigger a stream of bad reactions), but, since it is not likely that I will, Transfusion will have to do (all hail Transfusion). After all, Transfusion is the best thing next to getting the source code for Blood, as you said in FAQ.

I wish I could help you guys, but unfortenately, the only services I could offer you are composing MIDI music, programing (in every BASIC-based language), and Photoshop. As far as I know, coding is done in C, so my knoweledge on this matter is obsolete. However, I have a suggestion to make, regarding the gameplay, and that I believe that makes sense. Namely, when Quake was released, toggle button for mouse look was not included (at least not in first few versions). That made playing the game using WASD + mouse combination impossible. Back then, it wasn`t a big deal, because games were played in another fashion - using arrow-buttons. Since that way of playing included very little or no strifing at all, and new, polygon rendering, "full 3d" engine was yet to unrattle it`s powers, they wanted to make things interesting by implementing "sways" when strife buttons are used. Back then, I`m sure it looked impressive, but swaying left and right during entire session makes me fell dizzy! It is wrong! The first impression of Transfusion is just stunning! Something one wouldn`t expect from Quake engine. However, there was something wrong, and I couldn`t make out what... First I thaught that the physics aren`t fatefully "converted", but still I couldn`t figure out what exactly bothers me so much. And when the hype that clouded my mind was gone, and I could think straight, I realized that it is those horrible 45' sways. Theyre unberable, and the first thaught they evoke is "this is Quake 1" (I`m sorry but that`s how I associate this phenomena that was outgrew in every later FPS). I hope you will at least consider making a "check box" that turns off this abomination.

The second suggestion regards this website. I think it would be nice to put a date on the top of the "to-do" page, that sais when was the page updated last. It just bugs me to have to read the entire thing and try to recall what it was the day before. :)

Thank you for taking time to read this post, and excuse my missplelings or strange ways of getting the point across, for I`m sure there have been some.

Cheers!
Don`t let the project die!
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Sorry for replying to my own post.

Does one of these cvars perhaps has something to do with the swaying?

cvar_t cl_yawspeed = {CVAR_SAVE, "cl_yawspeed","140"};
cvar_t cl_pitchspeed = {CVAR_SAVE, "cl_pitchspeed","150"};

Or maybe this piece of code:

void CL_AdjustAngles (void)
{
float speed;
float up, down;

if (in_speed.state & 1)
speed = cl.frametime * cl_anglespeedkey.value;
else
speed = cl.frametime;

if (!(in_strafe.state & 1))
{
cl.viewangles[YAW] -= speed*cl_yawspeed.value*CL_KeyState (&in_right);
cl.viewangles[YAW] += speed*cl_yawspeed.value*CL_KeyState (&in_left);
}
if (in_klook.state & 1)
{
V_StopPitchDrift ();
cl.viewangles[PITCH] -= speed*cl_pitchspeed.value * CL_KeyState (&in_forward);
cl.viewangles[PITCH] += speed*cl_pitchspeed.value * CL_KeyState (&in_back);
}

up = CL_KeyState (&in_lookup);
down = CL_KeyState(&in_lookdown);

cl.viewangles[PITCH] -= speed*cl_pitchspeed.value * up;
cl.viewangles[PITCH] += speed*cl_pitchspeed.value * down;

if (up || down)
V_StopPitchDrift ();

cl.viewangles[YAW] = ANGLEMOD(cl.viewangles[YAW]);
cl.viewangles[PITCH] = ANGLEMOD(cl.viewangles[PITCH]);
cl.viewangles[ROLL] = ANGLEMOD(cl.viewangles[ROLL]);
if (cl.viewangles[YAW] >= 180)
cl.viewangles[YAW] -= 360;
if (cl.viewangles[PITCH] >= 180)
cl.viewangles[PITCH] -= 360;
if (cl.viewangles[ROLL] >= 180)
cl.viewangles[ROLL] -= 360;

cl.viewangles[PITCH] = bound (in_pitch_min.value, cl.viewangles[PITCH], in_pitch_max.value);
cl.viewangles[ROLL] = bound(-50, cl.viewangles[ROLL], 50);
}

If that is the case, mabe you could help me, and tell me how to edit cvars through console? This would mean very much for me. Also if you could tell me how to turn of the inertion - when a movement key is released, movement continues for another second, making the game more difficult, and tricky jumps impossible. Yet another 'Quake bannana".

Thank you.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

cl_bob 0
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

CheapAlert wrote:cl_bob 0
Thanx, but I did not mind bobbing. What bugs me is swaying (leaning left and right when I strife). And movement smoothing (inertion).
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

"Movement smoothing" and inertia should be two different things. If you are talking about inertia, that is one of the original aspects that were integral to the feel of movement in Blood, the way everything seemed to slide a bit. Welcome to the forums. :)
-Slink
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

I can understand the relation between movement smoothing and inertia in the example he's making. Having no inertia (such as having sv_friction at 10) results in the player suddenly halting, with no smoothness in the movement as his velocity approaches 0.

There are variables in DP, which can be modified via console, that control various acceleration values in the game. What is really needed is experimentation to determine what the right values are for the player in Blood.

To be honest, I only noticed the strafe leaning in first-person mode after it was mentioned. However I've noticed it featuring prominently in the 3rd person perspective. We can look into that as part of making the physics as close to Blood as possible.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Hey, thanks for considering that. :D

You seem like realy great guys. I mean that kind of interaction between development team and gamers is just amazing.
Kazashi wrote:I can understand the relation between movement smoothing and inertia in the example he's making. Having no inertia (such as having sv_friction at 10) results in the player suddenly halting, with no smoothness in the movement as his velocity approaches 0.
Right. I guess that the equation for making those "sways" must be based upon the value of the movement speed (which decays gradualy after releasing the forward key, creating the feel of inertia), for I`m sure that the "sways" are lesser as the movement speed value drops. I`m sorry for using the word "inertia" wrong.
:oops: