half life 2 engine

Want to see something included in the game? Let us know here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Cruaich wrote:The density of Lava, and liquid metals that show up in Blood should in no way be confused with water or oil.

A little research says that lava's dencity is about 2.6 g/cc. That's over 1.5 times that of water at 1g/cc. Iron is even more dence at about 7 g/cc.
Technically, that is true, but also, 2.6 is also more than 2.5 times that of water. (1.0 * 2.5 = 2.5). Still, read on! :)
Cruaich wrote:Without even going into surface tention, at a guess I'd say Caleb would maybe sink to his waist in lava and probably not even to his knees in iron.
Iron has a liquid density of 6.98 g/cm³, and a melting point of 1811 K
(1538 °C, 2800 °F), according to Wikipedia. That temperature would generally incinerate a zombie, or Caleb, quite rapidly. Lava is also incredibly hot.

Wikipedia reads on lava; "Lava is molten rock expelled by a volcano during an eruption. Below the earth's surface, molten rock is termed magma instead of lava. Lava, when first exuded from a volcanic vent, is a liquid at temperatures typically from 700°C to 1,200°C (1,300°F to 2,200°F). Although lava is quite viscous, about 100,000 times the viscosity of water, it can flow many miles before eventually cooling and solidifying."

Image <You can't swim in that. You can't even wade in it.
-
Image<Maybe if you were Superman, you might be able to bathe in this fountain of lava. Your blue tights might be destroyed though, as they are probably dryclean only.

Wikipedia also reads, "Magma is a complex high-temperature (between 650 and 1200 °C) silicate solution that is ancestral to all igneous rocks."

An interesting point to read is another Wiki quote: "A cremation furnace is a large furnace capable of reaching high temperatures up to approximately 1600-1800 degrees fahrenheit (1600-1800 °F = 871-982 °C), with special modifications to ensure the efficient disintegration of the corpse. One of these modifications is the aiming of the flames at the corpse's torso, where a majority of the corpse's mass rests."

Cruaich wrote:For gameplay's sake I'd see no reason to change it from the way it's portrayed in Blood.
I'm just gonna go ahead and say that Caleb would get messed the **** up. I just wanted to provide relevent info, and it is interesting to me, and I was bored. :D Take care, guys!
-Slink
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Well, it is already set up in the way that lava inflicts a lot of damage, more than slime and a lot more than drowning. Lava kills quickly.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Did they ever use lava in Blood that you could NOT walk on? -Slink