The current most obnoxious things about Transfusion

Want to see something included in the game? Let us know here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

jonny5
Cultist

The current most obnoxious things about Transfusion

Post by jonny5 »

These aren't terribly important at all - and chances are they've already been discussed. However, they are the things that are driving me off the deep end about TF, so here goes:

The pitchfork makes an obnoxious clang against just about every surface. In blood it was quite sensitive to what you were stabbing and made different noises for different surfaces.

Doors don't swing out like real doors; they slide like Quake doors. I know this may be a very challenging change programming-wise, but since Build supported it, it really seems like it should be a feature in TF.

The dynamite's fuse doesn't burn when you light it. You can hear the noise, which is nice, but a little spark burning down like in Blood could really add to the mood.

Caleb doesn't have a model for every weapon that he should be holding at a given time. This isn't much of a problem in itself (look how fun DooM I and II multiplayer modes were with only one or two different sprites) but it makes the shadow thing pretty strange when you're holding a tesla cannon and you see your shadow holding a flare gun. On a more positive note, the pitch-fork and its shadow both look fantastic.

The guy hung up above Morningside in E1M1 looks WAY too big. (Yes, I'm aware that this is pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things.)

If I think of any more I'll add them at a later date. Sorry to be picky,

-Jonny5
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Don't worry, picky is what keeps fixes coming! :P

The pitchfork, to the best of my knowledge, has the correct sounds. I don't know if some surfaces are messed up in that respect, but from what I remember it works fine. Oh well, on the other hand I haven't been getting much TF in lately.

Doors I agree on. And the fuse thing.

Caleb not having a different model kinda almost helps the game. Remember that there was only one variation of the Caleb sprite (as far as I recall again) and it stops mattering. :P

And that guy looks fine to me. I don't really know.
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

That hanging guy will probably replaced with the innocent_hanging model.

Damn it, I forgot about that skin. :twisted:
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Re: The current most obnoxious things about Transfusion

Post by DustyStyx »

Player review is welcome. Remember we want to get the game right, probably even more than you do :twisted:
jonny5 wrote:The pitchfork makes an obnoxious clang against just about every surface. In blood it was quite sensitive to what you were stabbing and made different noises for different surfaces.
Yes, we will need to get dynamic surface noises in the apropriate places (walking and pitchfork, might even throw it in for bullet impatc as well, that'd have to be something we need to test.)
jonny5 wrote:Doors don't swing out like real doors; they slide like Quake doors. I know this may be a very challenging change programming-wise, but since Build supported it, it really seems like it should be a feature in TF.
We do have swinging doors implemented. They just have not been incorperated into all of the maps yet. There is some debate about making doors deadly or not. I still want to see the skissor like collapsing doors. (The passage way leading to the train in E1M2)
jonny5 wrote:The dynamite's fuse doesn't burn when you light it. You can hear the noise, which is nice, but a little spark burning down like in Blood could really add to the mood.
Yes, we are working on a particle flame solution for that... we need sparsk too.
jonny5 wrote:Caleb doesn't have a model for every weapon that he should be holding at a given time. This isn't much of a problem in itself (look how fun DooM I and II multiplayer modes were with only one or two different sprites) but it makes the shadow thing pretty strange when you're holding a tesla cannon and you see your shadow holding a flare gun. On a more positive note, the pitch-fork and its shadow both look fantastic.
Blood would only show what weapon Caleb was holing as a floating icon over his head. Otherwise he's just holding akimbo flair guns. Fear not, we are working on this. We are planning to show the weapon model in hand. Though we may have a server option to only show akimbo flair guns, or the floating icon.
jonny5 wrote:The guy hung up above Morningside in E1M1 looks WAY too big. (Yes, I'm aware that this is pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things.)
As oBe said, this will be replaced by a model.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

I think we should have the weapon models seperate from the player model. Like in half-life how it had "p_" models. The model of caleb would have no weapon, and the engine would just attach the the "p_" model to him.

Their would be varios "p_" models (such as p_shotgun.md3, p_tommy.md3, p_flare.md3, ect.) and they would be attached to one Caleb model. That way we would only have to have one player model istead of making several different player model for each weapon Caleb was holding. The Cultist model could also be holding no weapon and have the engine attach a p_tommy.md3/p_shotgun.md3/p_telsacannon.md3 to his hands.

I hope that made sence.

About the closing doors I think they should be lethal. After all they were in Blood
well most of them, some of them just pushed you into the ground :lol:
jonny5
Cultist

Post by jonny5 »

I think we should have the weapon models seperate from the player model. Like in half-life how it had "p_" models. The model of caleb would have no weapon, and the engine would just attach the the "p_" model to him.

Their would be varios "p_" models (such as p_shotgun.md3, p_tommy.md3, p_flare.md3, ect.) and they would be attached to one Caleb model. That way we would only have to have one player model istead of making several different player model for each weapon Caleb was holding. The Cultist model could also be holding no weapon and have the engine attach a p_tommy.md3/p_shotgun.md3/p_telsacannon.md3 to his hands.
That sounds like an über idea. I first became intrigued with that fascinating concept (piecing, I believe it's called) when I saw a spectacular example in 2D. I can't imagine what the game was - Diablo II, perhaps? Anyway, I was greatly impressed when it started to be used in three dimensions as well. All in a way of saying: yes, it would be a good feature; however for the sake of retro-heads obviously there should be an option to have Caleb look old-school.
About the closing doors I think they should be lethal. After all they were in Blood
well most of them, some of them just pushed you into the ground
The doors in Blood were not nearly as lethal as those in Transfusion. I think that in all of my time playing Blood I have been killed by doors only a handful of times (if ever.) In Transfusion 1.0 the doors were just plain deadly - in some levels they would manage to kill me several times per match. :cry: