Blood + Quake = Transfusion also Quake = Half life....

Want to see something included in the game? Let us know here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

DemonPostalWrkr
Cultist

Post by DemonPostalWrkr »

I also just discovered what RT world is, Im running a GF4 Ti4200 what would I need to play THAT smoothly?
DemonPostalWrkr
Cultist

Post by DemonPostalWrkr »

If I discovered RT mode This post would have never existed. OMG once I put that on it was like playing a whole new game, *applauds* That is PRECIESELY what I wanted to see out of Transfusion. That is just amazing. I still can't believe the Quake engine is capable of that. Why the hell do people bother making new engines? Why not just improve the old ones, and why the hell isnt the Dark Places Author not making a fortune?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Um... that's what they've been doing; Epic, iD, Valve, all of the older game makers. It's just the commercial engines have no need to keep compatiblity with any of the old game data that it's previouse incarnation was ment to be used with. DarkPlaces has just keeped it's original Quake capabilities while stacking on more and more engine options.

Incidently, LordHavoc is DarkPlaces' primary author.
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

I still think we should storm atari and 'liberate' the blood-source.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I know smoothness in Radeons, not nvidias. If you are planning to upgrade and willing to spend the money I suggest a Radeon X800 XL, that's what I upgraded to and I can now run HL2 in full settings without FPS loss. DP runs a little smoothly but I am pushing it a little much, I should stop that. Doom 3 gets constant 60fps. If you want a good budget card, try a 9600XT or 9800 Pro.
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

Those sagdoll physics are awesome. :lol: Might need some tweaking though as zombies and cultists could fly meters away or high in Blood.

Also RT world has some awesome shading, but most of the mappers haven't implemented it so it sucks in most places.

Still, could be a kickass feature :wink:
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

I may need to go sit down and comprehend that that was really Quake.
This is one of the reasons I was adamant about qBlood in the first place back on the source release campaign, never underestimate Quake. It has proven itself countless times of being flexible enough for anything provided the brave possess the ingenuity to pull it off (MauveBib, FrikaC, RenegadeC, LordHavoc etc). You cant teach an old dog new tricks, but Quake has never been a dog but a vibrant living being anxious to take on new things. This is why I suggested porting Blood to it - I knew Quake was up to the task.

In real time lighting mode, I get upwards of 60fps on the id maps, running my GF4Ti4200 64meg card. Nexuiz runs horrificly slow (with rtlights off) but DP itself does rtlights just fine.

I would assume sagdoll is flexible enough to impose some sort of "weight" onto any object to affect how easy it is to toss. However iirc, sagdolls require manipulated models (segments specifically) that are "sewn together" and given certain properties in the gamecode.
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

Ok, RT World.

Sounds interesting, but what is it?
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

the whole technology claim behind Doom3
completely realtime lighting in the world
if you fire a rocket next to some bars, the shadows of the bars will stretch out across the opposing wall and floor appropriately as the rocket moves past

a monsters arm will cast a shadow onto itself, and the whole shadow will stretch out over floors and walls properly, and even onto other monsters and gameobjects

placing a light above an oscillating fan will create that dramatic rotating shadow you see so much in sci-fi movies, which would play over your hands and gun as you walk under it

you know, that jazz
LordHavoc
Cabal member

Post by LordHavoc »

scar3crow wrote:the whole technology claim behind Doom3
a monsters arm will cast a shadow onto itself, and the whole shadow will stretch out over floors and walls properly, and even onto other monsters and gameobjects
Interestingly Doom3 lacked the monster's arm shadow onto itself :)

r_cain: r_shadow_realtime_world 1, try it if you have a fast enough machine. It's also in the Graphics Options submenu of Options.
jonny5
Cultist

Post by jonny5 »

Don't get me wrong - the RT lighting is absolutely amazing. However, it seems to require a _really_ jacked computer to perform well. I'm running Athlon 3200/Radeon X800 256MB/2G RAM and I still get hair-curling graphical lag even on low resolution when I turn on RT world. Any suggestions?

-jonny5
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Its because nobody has taken the time to place proper lighting to run in RT mode... it won't make it run WAY better, but should make it playable.

I've been given basic instructions on how to do it, but have never taken the time to actually try yet.

its a bit rough, but
[Sat 03:45:12 AM] <@LordHavoc> Willis: read r_editlights_help
[Sat 03:45:16 AM] <@LordHavoc> Willis: that should explain all
[Sat 03:45:24 AM] <@LordHavoc> Willis: it's a command interface
[Sat 03:46:31 AM] <@LordHavoc> Willis: note there are a lot of possible binds you can make to make editing go quicker, like binding 6 numpad keys to "r_editlights_edit movex 16" and -16 with movey, and movez combinations, that lets you nudge a light in any direction by 16 units with a key press
[Sat 03:47:00 AM] <@LordHavoc> Willis: binding other keys on the numpad things like r_editlights_spawn, r_editlights_toggleshadow, r_editlights_togglecorona
[Sat 03:47:21 AM] <@LordHavoc> Willis: anything else is mostly specific to the light type (what radius and color to use, etc), and best entered from the console, binding a few convenient ones for repeated lights (like torches)
[Sat 03:47:42 AM] <@LordHavoc> Willis: there's also the r_editlights_pushoff, pushback, and grid cvars which control the cursor positioning for spawning new lights
[Sat 03:48:02 AM] <@LordHavoc> Willis: (pushoff pushes away from the surface, pushback pulls the cursor back toward you, grid is the snap size to use)
[Sat 03:48:08 AM] <@LordHavoc> Willis: that should get you started
[Sat 03:48:16 AM] <@LordHavoc> Willis: it's all ingame so it's quick to learn
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

1. This is NOT Quake. This is based on Quake's source.
2. Why is everyone saying "sagdoll?" Isn't it "ragdoll?" :)
3. It is a damn shame about HL2, but it is still pretty sweet.
4. I never took that much time to find out how bad Steam sucks, I guess it is because it p*** me off. :)

Thanks,

-Slink
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Slink wrote:1. This is NOT Quake. This is based on Quake's source.
Because it's still a Quake dirivitive engine... that can run Quake.
Slink wrote: 2. Why is everyone saying "sagdoll?" Isn't it "ragdoll?" :)
No this particular instance it's "sagdoll" as it does not represent the full range of physics say the Havoc physics plug-in is capable of.
Slink wrote: 3. It is a damn shame about HL2, but it is still pretty sweet.
4. I never took that much time to find out how bad Steam sucks, I guess it is because it p*** me off. :)
No comment.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Well, not to get off-topic, but EVERYONE says that Steam is a steaming pile of s***, and I agree to a certain extent... :P Half-Life is still somewhat impressive. What is so bad about the game, or the engine?

To stay on-topic, I will say that there is absolutely no need for an engine change, especially since Darkplaces is practically TAILORED for Transfusion.

-Slink