Doom maps

Want to see something included in the game? Let us know here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Lioyd_Irving
Axe Zombie

Doom maps

Post by Lioyd_Irving »

I'd like to see a remake of Doom's E1M1. I think this game deserves it.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I did that once (for Blood), but I lost it. Hmm, easy enough to do.

I take it you mean in Transfusion?
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

not legal

no
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Remakes are illegal? Reuse of media WOULD be illegal, but that wouldn't be necessary. Whatcha mean?
Lioyd_Irving
Axe Zombie

Post by Lioyd_Irving »

YES, i mean remaking it for Transfusion.

And NO, it probably isn't illegal because E1M1 is part of the shareware version, which is free.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Lioyd_Irving wrote:because E1M1 is part of the shareware version, which is free.
Not free to do whatever you want with the intellectual property. It is copyrighted. Doom remakes are also out of Transfusion's scope.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Lioyd_Irving wrote:And NO, it probably isn't illegal because E1M1 is part of the shareware version, which is free.
It's free to distribute it as-is, not free to steal parts of it and release them as your own product.

Other than that, I really don't see a reason to remake Doom maps in TF. Just remake them in Quake or something. What am I missing?
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

It MAY be illegal if you make an exact replica. That is easy enough not to do. Jeepers, folks, chill. I agree that it is not within the scope of TFn.
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

If someone wants to go build a map from Doom they can go ahead. If they want it to be distributed with Transfusion that's a different matter.

As has been said, E1M1 is not free to do with as you please - the Shareware license allows the software i.e. the whole package, to be distributed freely (as an addition, the modding tools originally released for Doom actually stated that they couldn't be used on the shareware version, only retail). A Doom map was included in previous test builds prior to 1.0, but has been taken out. On the other hand, Quake maps are now released under the GPL, and can be legally recreated in Transfusion (which has been done).

Bottom line: Blood maps first. There's lots of them. Mappers can make their own Transfusion maps (which again has been done), but they have to be legally solid to be included or distributed.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Thank you for the clarification. So you suppose the line between a similar rendition and an exact replica wouldn't be fuzzy enough? Hmm. Understood.

Original Doom is actually still sold by id Software, via the id website and Steam as well. SO, id is still making money from that intellectual property. I could understand them getting perturbed.

Lot of Blood maps... How bout that to-do list? ;-)

-Slink