Crash with the latest DarkPlaces

This is the place where information regarding beta releases will be. Discussion about bugs, changes, or questions should be posted here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Anonymous

Crash with the latest DarkPlaces

Post by Anonymous »

Hi! It's me again (this is the last bug report toda, I promise!)...

I decided to try TF beta with a more up-to-date version of DarkPlaces. I downloaded the latest DP (darkplacesengine20060518beta1.zip), I moved the old DP stuff (transfusion.exe and all of the DLLs) to a backup folder, and I unpacked the latest DP to the TF root dir. I started the SDL version, the "Loading..." sign appeared on the screen, the demo playback started, but I noticed the crosshair disappeared. Then I pressed "Esc" for the menu, but I only get this:

Then the demo reaches the stage when Caleb opens the door ("Open for business!"), and the engine crashed. No error messages. SDL generated the stderr.txt, it's here:

Code: Select all

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
The non-sdl version makes the same things expect it's completely locks up my machine at the door opening.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

these are already known btw
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

The first one I honestly haven't seen at all, but my DP is old.

The second one I posted about before I think. Crazy, huh?
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

I forgot what the second bug was about really, but it was related to one of the libraries darkplaces loads

odd
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

So if the users has problems with the DP included with TF, you suggest them to try an up-to-date version of DP. But with the new DP, it's totally useless.

That's strange...
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Well Ive never once had a problem with the DP bundled with a version of TFn, however the VERY latest releases often have some bugs, because they are at most a few days old. Go with a version or two behind that doesnt say beta. Or, heh, just wait for LordHavoc's annual site update about a formal new version.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Perhaps your download was corrupted in some way. Have you tried downloading Beta3 again?
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

It's not corrupted.

The first problem is the missing menu graphics, however Willis released a gfx pack for the new bloodish menu

The second problem only happens in the demos being played back, and Willis knows about that too. Since demos don't really hurt game playability you can safely "disconnect" and go on and do your thing.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

And where can I download the gfx pack for the new menu?
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Why don't you look on the forum index? It's right there in plain sight.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

So there's no way to download it (now)...
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

You can get the new menu here:
viewtopic.php?t=294
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The latest DP crashes with this update, too. But it's cool with the 2005.03.08 DP! The new menu is awesome!

Edit: but I have two problems with it:

-It's way slower than the original TF executable
-The bots are not displayed. I only see this:

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 23, 2006 08:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Thoes are the spectator eyeballs, and they've not been skinned yet. I'm staring to think your randomly renaming things. Either that or when Mathieu submited the menu things to the current DP build it's really f*** up what's going on.

Here, just download my current copy, call it a3.5 or whatever. It's missing alot of the stuff the other guys have; it's even missing a number of the latest skins by oBe and Boss429, but Beta4 is way overdue, so enjoy.

Note: You'll need 7Zip to extract it also if you need the linux stuff you'll have to download that seperatly. It's 99.3MB

Willis if you find your bandwidth getting to battered just yell at me or better yet, turn it into a BitTorrent
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks, Cruaich! That works!

And... Oh my God! ZOMBIES! CULTISTS! RATS! And the best: GHOST TOWN WITH INNOCENTS!!! :twisted:

...but I still can't play against bots. If I add a bot, I only see that eyeballs bouncing around.