Whats the point of a net game with huge lags?

This is the place where information regarding beta releases will be. Discussion about bugs, changes, or questions should be posted here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

My dad apparently knows nothing about it. Oh well, it was worth a shot.
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

Necrosis wrote:What exactly is the definition of "netcode" here? Netcode for games? My dad might know some of this stuff, being a programmer in the communications field, but I'm not sure...
Generally speaking, netcode (or network code) is the part of a source code that deals with all network-related operations. They range from low level stuff (name resolution, packets transmission, ...) to high level systems (client-side prediction in games for instance).
A good netcode is expected to solve in the best possible way the 3 network problems: 1- packet loss (the fact that sometimes a packet you send will never reach its destination), 2- limited bandwidth (the fact that you can only send and receive a limited amount of data per second), and 3- latency (the time a packet needs to travel to its destination machine; note that it's a variable quantity, so a packet may arrive after a packet which was sent AFTER it - no garanteed ordering).
Unless you have a poor network connection with a high packet loss percentage, and/or a very limited bandwidth, what causes the lag in games is the latency, ranging from a dozen of ms (good) to several hundred (bad).
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Thanks Elric, maybe with an in-depth definition he'll get it...

Added: Alright, once cleared up, he says he knows about that. :D I'll see if I can get him to do some of this for LordHavoc, but he IS always on a tight schedule, so no one expect anything.