Transfusion 1.05 beta2

This is the place where information regarding beta releases will be. Discussion about bugs, changes, or questions should be posted here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Transfusion 1.05 beta2

Post by Willis »

The Transfusion Project is happy to announce a new release. This is the second beta version of 1.05, which we hope will eventually be polished into a full replacement for 1.01.

Grab the file from here: http://offload.funwithheads.com/transfu ... -beta2.zip

Now this is what you may consider a proper beta - pretty much everything that the final 1.05 will have is in here, save for some extra maps and model updates. We would like your help in hunting down bugs and omissions, so your feedback will be appreciated (and expected Guns ).

Some potential questions you might have:

What is this 1.05 version all about?

1.05 will be an intermediate release, containing many of the improvements of version 1.1, but without any of the single player aspect therein.

Where is the single player?

The single player game is still planned in future release, such as Transfusion 1.1. However, it has been a long time since any kind of release, and there are plenty of updates that have been made over time which would benefit multiplayer action, such as improved network code and player physics.

What happened to all the maps?

The maps which have been included have been recompiled using the q3bsp format, and have been cleaned up along the way. While many of the maps from previous releases will still work with Transfusion 1.05 it was decided to include in this release only the maps which have been converted and are running well. There will definitely be more maps available down the track.

Fixed from 1.05 beta1:
-Flare gun fire rate doubled
-Shotgun no longer allows 3 shots without reloading (alt+normal fire combo)
-Observer mode changed to noclip
-Observers now indicated by -666 frags for clarification
-Fixed overhead/weaponentity removal and setmodel related problems.
-Fixed scoreboard showing extra numbers (ping & packet loss)
-2D resolution now forced to 640x480 upon joining any server, fixes problems with widescreen menu settings.

New to beta2:
four more maps:
-b2crypt
-cpbb03
-qe1m7
-highnoon

Hopefully this release will be a bit more stable than the last.
Also included with this release is transfusion-debug.bat for windows users, running it will create a detailed qconsole.log file in your basetf folder, this helps us narrow down any problems you may be having.

Please post feedback!
Morry
Axe Zombie

Post by Morry »

I am still having my previous problem where the game simply won't start.

Could it be the directory that the game is unzipped to?
I have the basetf.pk3 file in the directory, does it need to become a folder?
The qconsole.log file is nowhere to be found in either the Transfusion folder or the basetf.pk3 file. I have tried running both Tranfusion.exe and transfusion-debug in Windows and the command prompt.
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

The zip file should have the full file structure required.

In the Transfusion-1.05-beta2 folder should be:
basetf folder
docs folder
various .dll files
transfusion.exe
transfusion-debug.bat
transfusion-glx (linux client)
transfusion-dedicated (linux server)

Inside the basetf folder should be 5 files with the extension .pk3

After running the transfusion-debug.bat file, it should create a file in the basetf folder called qconsole.log
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Morry wrote:I am still having my previous problem where the game simply won't start.

Could it be the directory that the game is unzipped to?
I have the basetf.pk3 file in the directory, does it need to become a folder?
The qconsole.log file is nowhere to be found in either the Transfusion folder or the basetf.pk3 file. I have tried running both Tranfusion.exe and transfusion-debug in Windows and the command prompt.
You probably unzipped the archive without path preservation option.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Grandfather clocks still have an entirely transparent face allowing you to see past it (most noticeable in Winter Wonderland where the clock is actually a rotating door).

Shotgun akimbo still fires at the same speed as normal shotgun, so it receives no benefit.

Corpses gib stone, but Im sure thats just placeholder stuff.

Voodoo doll feels REALLY inaccurate in comparison to Blood v1.11, Im not sure how you guys are doing the voodoo doll in code (I cant really think of a way myself, nothing that doesnt just seem... hacky) so I dont know.

However, it runs great for me and unlike several others it seems, have had no engine problems.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

I still see weapon over my head but it lags behind a little so it's really noticeable.

Each time I stop moving forward when crouched, I get moved back a little.

When I set myself on fire, all of my weapons become invisible and I cannot shoot anymore. It doesn't wear of with the flames.

The game seems to become heavily unstable when I boost the brightness a little.

I accidentaly tied TAB to identify players with, and keyboard customisation menu does not have the option to bind the player score splash with a button so I'm stuck with it. (I'll check if it can be tweaked in the cfg file) Also, I like to bind my crouching to Ctrl, jumping to Space, using to E... It would be nice if I could tie "swim down" to Ctrl as well. I kindof feel like jumping and crouching buttnos are the natural choise for altitude navigation in water.
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Each time I stop moving forward when crouched, I get moved back a little.
Tried to recreate this one, but it feels and looks normal to me.
When I set myself on fire, all of my weapons become invisible and I cannot shoot anymore. It doesn't wear of with the flames.
Actually the weapons dont become invisible, what is happening is youre weapons are dropping down, this happens in Blood whenever something goes off in your hands, only indicated by the charred hands sprite which moves across to indicate you had a bomb go off in your hands. If you survive in Blood then you are left with no actively selected weapon - but you can select one once more. Somewhere in Transfusion's code, it is not letting you select one once again. This looks like an inventory switch error because the player isnt being incorrectly flagged as dead (you still have a .touch interaction with items and I could close/open doors). This also occurs with the normal dynamite, I am not allowed to select another item from the inventory.

I did not experience the persisting flames, I stopped burning after the normal amount of time.

However while testing this I noticed another bug, in Blood if you let the aerosol can burn out in your hand, it costs you one aerosol can worth of ammo, displays the hand sprites, does the damage and you have no currently selected weapon. If you survive you can select another aerosol can or a different weapon. In Transfusion if you do this, all of your ammo is consumed simultaneously, but I noticed multiple explosions were going on. I slowed it down to 1/10th the gamespeed and noticed that when I let the can burn down, in a brief moment, the can spawns in front of me, detonates before it has barely moved, and then I spawn 1 - 3 bundles of dynamite in front of me in the same fashion which detonate instantly as well, even though I had no dynamite in my bundle. Then the previous bugs occured.

So in short, the drop weapon inventory flag is buggering the select weapon capability, which is obviously cleared by the respawn function (or possessing a weapon once again overrides it since you spawn with the pitchfork). The aerosol alt if held onto consumes all of your ammo unlike in Blood (holding dynamite only consumes 1), has an oddity with spawning... dynamite... Ive no clue whats going on there.

My immediate, non-coder thoughts, is coding a special case for holding onto the aerosol can, where if it reaches the end of the fuse, and youre still holding it, it calls its own function which does 48 ammos worth of aerosol damage to the player, with a radius call as well, subtracts 48 ammo from their aerosol ammo count, and then have the inventory code fixed. As opposed to the kind of odd spawning it right in front of your face thing.

If you have no plans of doing the charred hand bit, just have it do a nextweapon call when something goes off in your hands.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

scar3crow wrote:Actually the weapons dont become invisible, what is happening is youre weapons are dropping down, this happens in Blood whenever something goes off in your hands, only indicated by the charred hands sprite which moves across to indicate you had a bomb go off in your hands. If you survive in Blood then you are left with no actively selected weapon - but you can select one once more. Somewhere in Transfusion's code, it is not letting you select one once again. This looks like an inventory switch error because the player isnt being incorrectly flagged as dead (you still have a .touch interaction with items and I could close/open doors). This also occurs with the normal dynamite, I am not allowed to select another item from the inventory.

I did not experience the persisting flames, I stopped burning after the normal amount of time.
Aha thank you for clearing that up. Actually it didn't blow up in my hands - it blew up in front of me... (or possibly it did blow up in my hands triggered by the other explosion). In any case, it sounds like it's easily fixed. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the server side.

No, the flames did go off, but I was pointing out that I was still unable to manipulate my arsenal after they did, for the sake of more precise troubleshooting.
mortenoesterlundjoergense
Axe Zombie

Post by mortenoesterlundjoergense »

I noticed that one with at least the tommy gun and the flare gun will shoot through the windows in the church in the highnoon map without destroying them, if one is standing right in front of them.
If one either normally or alternatively shoot with the flare gun on the ground just below the character, then one would not loose any health. Maybe the original Blood worked this way. I just find it unrealistic.
Morry
Axe Zombie

Post by Morry »

Unzipping with the existing folder options fixed my problem. Not sure why this happens since I usually have that option automatically. Perhaps you could add a note in to the release notes saying that you should have the zip folders.

I'll post my feedback and suggestions of the beta later.
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

Morry wrote:Unzipping with the existing folder options fixed my problem. Not sure why this happens since I usually have that option automatically. Perhaps you could add a note in to the release notes saying that you should have the zip folders.

I'll post my feedback and suggestions of the beta later.
I'll add that to the upcoming FAQ, in case people in future unzip it without preserving the hierarchy.

The voodoo doll hasn't been touched since previous releases, this will be fixed for the final. Hopefully the same with the blown-up hand.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

I managed to get stuck without being able to respawn by falling into the lava and having the moving tall platform crush me in The Tower

This is a very fatal gameplay bug i hope you fix !!

Btw any progs qc code to mess around with?
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Update:

Clock being alpha will be fixed in the next patch, was a shader problem
Shotgun akimbo will be fixed in the next patch
Corpses gibbing stone is indeed just a placeholder, not sure when this will be fully fixed, hopefully by the next patch.
As Kazashi mentioned, voodoo fire/hit code hasn't been changed since 1.01, but we'll certainly take a look at it, no definite date on that.
I'll look at updating the overhead code to better predict jumping/landing so that it is less obtrusive.
After blowing up TNT in your hands, it is supposed to drop, but it is supposed to be re-selectable (as with all other weapons), will be fixed in next patch, I'll see about the burnt hands as well.
I'll look into updating the key binding page a bit, no date on that for now, might require adding scrolling to the keybinding page.
spray can altfire self-explosion will be fixed in the next patch.
Weapons firing through glass without breaking it while standing right next to it should also be fixed in the next patch.

Keep it coming guys.
Morry
Axe Zombie

Post by Morry »

First of all, great work on Transfusion. You're keeping the Blood spirit alive. I would love to offer my help in any way I can in the future, though I don't have much technical skill with modding, I just love the game and everything about it.

I've been playing plenty of the original Blood lately, so I have a good grasp of the feel for the game, so here are my suggestions from playing this beta.

* Demos playing on the menu screen. Will you be including the option to make your own demos for the menu?
* The font in the menu screens is still from the Quake engine, would it be difficult to make all the writing in the Blood font, like the main menu?
* I loved the Help screen in Blood, where you could watch a little scene with the monsters running around after each other. Any way this could be implemented down the track?
* Sound of jumping. Caleb's shoes clicking on tiles is missing from the game.
* Lighting of weapons and items. Some of the items in the game world are hard to make out in low light, particularly flare boxes.
* Pitchfork - Needs more distinct puncture holes, the decals sometime do not match up too. It should be four holes everytime.
*Flare Gun - Flare projectile should be brighter and should be seen sticking to people for as long as the burning effect.
* Muzzle flashes are missing from the Sawn off, Tommy Gun and Napalm launcher
* Flames - intense flames should be shown at the bottom of the screen
* Tommy Gun - too accurate, needs a wider spray, slightly too fast
*Life Essence - Needs an aura
*Napalm launcher - projectile needs more fire
*TNT - Lighter flame to be more realistic, toss delay, smoke trail too obvious
*Explosions - take away expanding ball of flame, start explosion animation a few frames in or make beginning faster
*Differences between proximity and remote TNT should be more visually obvious eg. flashing green and red light
* Aerosol - Alt fire fuse doesn't light, explosion needs to change to the proper alt fire explosion animation
* Tesla - Projectiles from gun should be a bit smaller and originate from the gun rather than the center of the screen, Alt fire: Needs an improved projectile, explosion with electrical sparks
* Basic armour - more rounded
* Lava - more glow, fire?
* Life Leech - more yellow, old. Projectile: use flame, model could be improved with the end animation
* Trapped soul - less transparent
* Voodoo Doll - Brown hair, longer hand animation on alt fire, model orientation
* Longer bullet casing time

Other than that, Transfusion has a very good foundation for making a Blood remake, so my thanks go to everyone involved in making this possible.