Transfusion 1.05 beta2

This is the place where information regarding beta releases will be. Discussion about bugs, changes, or questions should be posted here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

If you run out of shells while holding the shotgun, pressing fire will show the weapon kicking, without the muzzle flash or the actual shot being fired. Every 2 shots, Caleb will break the stock ejecting the two casings, reload, and resume the aforementioned behavior.

I did encounter being on fire for about 3 minutes or so, I was playing with God on and seemed to just be perpetually on fire... after a while it went out. It was on b2crypt so I couldnt test if it reacted to water, as I couldnt find a body of water deep enough (well, nothing obviously deep enough, I may have found one, it was debatable).

A non-weapon/weapon-effect bug is that of joint brush entities, namely doors. They synchronize in motion, but sometimes you can trigger just one of them. For example in the stained glass tower of bb2, I accidentally opened just one cabinet door to the shotgun, but the other stay closed. This was not enough room to reach the shotgun inside. When I hit use again, the open one would close, and the closed one would open. This is less of a problem for automatically closing doors (a few others in the level close after a moment, thus resetting their state and can continue to behave properly) and large ones. But it seems to be capable of happening with any door.

Level bug:
BB2 stained glass tower, the shotgun shells by the cabinet cannot reached normally, as the door into the room stays permanently open, and doesnt leave enough space between it and the cabinet for the player to squeeze in. I know its just some shells, but I figured I would mention.

Other bugs:
In Blood the invisibility cloak plays its sound once, upon the .touch function of it, to indicate pickup. From then on the only indicator of its status is your transparency, which warns you of elapsing when it pulsates.
In Transfusion it plays the sound upon pickup, and then regularly for the remainder of its duration. When it is elapsing it seemed to play it louder (or maybe coincidentally played it twice changing the impression of the sound?) and a few times in succession, like Quake does with its powerups.

This could be argued as a balancing factor (an audio indicator like the whispering of Quake's ring of shadows) but I frankly dont think the invisibility cloak is good enough to need a counter-weight, and it frankly sounds kind of annoying when you get it =)

Sweet moment thats not a bug: Arcing a napalm alt-fire through the small window in bb2 to catch a bot that had retreated after firing on you.

Edit:
Flare alt fire is unreliable. It only becomes the starburst after a short while and thus only behaves that way. In Blood a point blank shot of the altfire into a wall will show no spread, but will render the flame explosion sprite and do fire damage. If it impacts an enemy before spreading visibly, they just get dealt all of the damage. In Transfusion it seems to be a regular flare that costs 8 ammo until it has flown so far - and even then I have witnessed it merely disappearing rather than taking starburst form.

Ive also noticed the tommygun shooting through windows without breaking them if standing close enough - if it is literally beginning the bullets at the end of the gun, perhaps the gun model is a little too long? Dunno.

Morry - Yeah I poked at Willis about using the proper flame explosion sprite earlier today actually, it is one of the cooler sprites in Blood, Im glad others enjoy it.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Morry wrote:* Pitchfork - Needs more distinct puncture holes, the decals sometime do not match up too. It should be four holes everytime.
Most of the stuff you listed is what is considered "fine works". I think TF team is busting their sack trying to get all the functionality done, like physics and game not crashing.

In BLOOD, you could make one, two, three and four holes with your pitchfork, depending on how you angle yourself. It's not allways four holes.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Thanks for all your input guys, especially that related to maps.
I've put your suggestions on my to-do list, the next patch should have those problems solved.
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Morry wrote:First of all, great work on Transfusion. You're keeping the Blood spirit alive. I would love to offer my help in any way I can in the future, though I don't have much technical skill with modding, I just love the game and everything about it.

I've been playing plenty of the original Blood lately, so I have a good grasp of the feel for the game, so here are my suggestions from playing this beta.

* Demos playing on the menu screen. Will you be including the option to make your own demos for the menu?
* The font in the menu screens is still from the Quake engine, would it be difficult to make all the writing in the Blood font, like the main menu?
* I loved the Help screen in Blood, where you could watch a little scene with the monsters running around after each other. Any way this could be implemented down the track?
* Sound of jumping. Caleb's shoes clicking on tiles is missing from the game.
* Lighting of weapons and items. Some of the items in the game world are hard to make out in low light, particularly flare boxes.
* Pitchfork - Needs more distinct puncture holes, the decals sometime do not match up too. It should be four holes everytime.
*Flare Gun - Flare projectile should be brighter and should be seen sticking to people for as long as the burning effect.
* Muzzle flashes are missing from the Sawn off, Tommy Gun and Napalm launcher
* Flames - intense flames should be shown at the bottom of the screen
* Tommy Gun - too accurate, needs a wider spray, slightly too fast
*Life Essence - Needs an aura
*Napalm launcher - projectile needs more fire
*TNT - Lighter flame to be more realistic, toss delay, smoke trail too obvious
*Explosions - take away expanding ball of flame, start explosion animation a few frames in or make beginning faster
*Differences between proximity and remote TNT should be more visually obvious eg. flashing green and red light
* Aerosol - Alt fire fuse doesn't light, explosion needs to change to the proper alt fire explosion animation
* Tesla - Projectiles from gun should be a bit smaller and originate from the gun rather than the center of the screen, Alt fire: Needs an improved projectile, explosion with electrical sparks
* Basic armour - more rounded
* Lava - more glow, fire?
* Life Leech - more yellow, old. Projectile: use flame, model could be improved with the end animation
* Trapped soul - less transparent
* Voodoo Doll - Brown hair, longer hand animation on alt fire, model orientation
* Longer bullet casing time

Other than that, Transfusion has a very good foundation for making a Blood remake, so my thanks go to everyone involved in making this possible.
Transfusion already has the ability to play menu demos, we just don't have any good demos to put there. Really more a thing for when single player comes along, as multiplayer demos just aren't as fun.

The font for the menu will eventually comes, just takes a bit of work that nobody has taken the time to do yet.

Help screen is one further down the line, since it is just a novelty, it isn't taking any priority.

Sound of jumping I'll have to look into, I'm not sure if it is going to require a form of material language or not, I'll have to take a peek at how the pitchfork hit detection finds the difference.

Things were often hard to make out in Blood as well, especially due to the low resolution, its almost a part of the atmosphere, really not a whole lot that can be changed there.

Pitchfork did not leave 4 holes everytime, however Blood's collision code at angles was less than perfect. While the pitchfork USUALLY displayed 4 tine holes, it's actual damage was more specific per tine. I really don't plan on changing this, as I consider it to be a bug on the behalf of Blood that is really better off fixed.

Flare projectile, I'll look into, though I've always thought it was pretty bright in Transfusion.

Muzzle flashes are in the works.

Flames are still a little bit difficult to do, waiting to see how csqc come around for this and other HUD effects.

Tommy gun is actually less accurate in Transfusion than it is in Blood, it has more vertical variance and the same horizontal variance. As for the speed, everybody keeps saying that it is too fast, but in reality, its the same speed, but Blood had a slight stutter to the sound, which I haven't figured out how to do yet. My timing numbers are in Blood, 10 seconds = 150 shots, in Transfusion, 10 seconds = 153 shots, and I'm pretty sure the 3 shot difference was just a timing error.

Life Essence had no aura that I'm aware of.

Napalm firing will have more flames down the line, might be a bit though.

TNT lighter flame will be improved eventually as well, need to straighten out a couple things with it first though (such as getting it removed from the model and getting the animated sprite, etc...)

Explosions will be worked on extensively, but is going to require a fiar amount of work due to all the different explosions Blood had, that one will be a work in progress for a while.

Differences between remote and proximity TNT are the same in TFn as they are in Blood imo, not sure what can really be changed there.

Aerosol - fuse lighting will be coming, as well as updated explosions.

Tesla - It shot from the center of the screen in Blood as well, it was just less obvious as the sprite seems to be slightly darker in Blood, unsure why. Its one of those things I was debating fixing, but I'm leaving that one like Blood for now.

Basic armor - looks perfect to me, care to expand?

Lava - I honestly haven't even seen it yet :p think that is a shader effect Predator will have to modify possibly.

Life Leech, the animation I'm not sure can be improved much, it is just a spuratic fit which is hard to do, as for projectiles, flames will be coming.

Trapped soul - I'll look into that one.

Voodoo Doll - hair is up to the skinners, as for altfire animation, yeah, something got messed up, it will be fixed (though looking back, altfire time is set to 1.5s, where it is only 1s in Blood).

I'll look into longer casing times.
scar3crow wrote:If you run out of shells while holding the shotgun, pressing fire will show the weapon kicking, without the muzzle flash or the actual shot being fired. Every 2 shots, Caleb will break the stock ejecting the two casings, reload, and resume the aforementioned behavior.

I did encounter being on fire for about 3 minutes or so, I was playing with God on and seemed to just be perpetually on fire... after a while it went out. It was on b2crypt so I couldnt test if it reacted to water, as I couldnt find a body of water deep enough (well, nothing obviously deep enough, I may have found one, it was debatable).

A non-weapon/weapon-effect bug is that of joint brush entities, namely doors. They synchronize in motion, but sometimes you can trigger just one of them. For example in the stained glass tower of bb2, I accidentally opened just one cabinet door to the shotgun, but the other stay closed. This was not enough room to reach the shotgun inside. When I hit use again, the open one would close, and the closed one would open. This is less of a problem for automatically closing doors (a few others in the level close after a moment, thus resetting their state and can continue to behave properly) and large ones. But it seems to be capable of happening with any door.

Level bug:
BB2 stained glass tower, the shotgun shells by the cabinet cannot reached normally, as the door into the room stays permanently open, and doesnt leave enough space between it and the cabinet for the player to squeeze in. I know its just some shells, but I figured I would mention.

Other bugs:
In Blood the invisibility cloak plays its sound once, upon the .touch function of it, to indicate pickup. From then on the only indicator of its status is your transparency, which warns you of elapsing when it pulsates.
In Transfusion it plays the sound upon pickup, and then regularly for the remainder of its duration. When it is elapsing it seemed to play it louder (or maybe coincidentally played it twice changing the impression of the sound?) and a few times in succession, like Quake does with its powerups.

This could be argued as a balancing factor (an audio indicator like the whispering of Quake's ring of shadows) but I frankly dont think the invisibility cloak is good enough to need a counter-weight, and it frankly sounds kind of annoying when you get it =)

Sweet moment thats not a bug: Arcing a napalm alt-fire through the small window in bb2 to catch a bot that had retreated after firing on you.

Edit:
Flare alt fire is unreliable. It only becomes the starburst after a short while and thus only behaves that way. In Blood a point blank shot of the altfire into a wall will show no spread, but will render the flame explosion sprite and do fire damage. If it impacts an enemy before spreading visibly, they just get dealt all of the damage. In Transfusion it seems to be a regular flare that costs 8 ammo until it has flown so far - and even then I have witnessed it merely disappearing rather than taking starburst form.

Ive also noticed the tommygun shooting through windows without breaking them if standing close enough - if it is literally beginning the bullets at the end of the gun, perhaps the gun model is a little too long? Dunno.

Morry - Yeah I poked at Willis about using the proper flame explosion sprite earlier today actually, it is one of the cooler sprites in Blood, Im glad others enjoy it.
I simply can't get the shotgun - out of shells - problem to reproduce.

Being on fire for an extended time is an old bug (pretty sure it was there before I started coding)... If I ever find where it is, I'll fix it, but I'm pretty sure water *does* put it out.

Doors opening one at a time is one for Predator, I'll leave that for him.

That repeated sound is because in 1.01 there was no alpha'd models, so the sound was the only form of indication, now that we have alpha, I can fix that.

Flare alt-fire, it looks really close to me, it stays tight until it travels a distance then start to spread, just like Blood, just needs a bit of the fire addition at close range, I'll look into that.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

I have a pretty sturdy ADSL connection that allows me 105 Kb/S download and 25 Kb/s upload rate. For some reason I get warped here and there constantly even when I'm barely moving or not moving at all, it seems. I hope it has to do with the fact that it's a beta server and all that since it's not what I'm having with other online FPS games.

The overhead weapon model (of which I do not understand the reason of existance) lags behind me, and If I run away from it taking a hard tp follow with, it will warp me right next to the weapon model instead of spawning the model next to me, really funny stuff. Once I got the weapon model stuck in the elevator and I kept getting warped back in the elevator whenever I would move.

EDIT: Oh, yeah... Did anyone notice that TF runs 10 times faster than before? It takes only a moment after I launch it and the main menu appears.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Willis - Strange neither can I now. Perhaps it was an odd fluke? Oh well, its not crippling even when it occurs. The only difference for me is that it happened when fighting a bot inside on bb2, and I MAY have been on fire, but I dont know how that could be linked. Oh well, no big deal.

Yeah b2crypt just doesnt have any deep water, and thats where I encountered it.

Glad to hear that the sound was just a placeholder, I figured it was something going on in the playerpostthink. Cool, the translucency looks good, I just avoided the cloak because of the repeating sound.

Flare alt seems to only do proper damage after it has expanded some, like the other flares dont exist until past a certain point, rather than simply being tight in Blood. Dunno, thats the impression I get.

Dimebog - If I remember correctly, the overhead weapon model is how the Build games in fact do it, that way they dont need to do a full compliment of player frames for each weapon. I have not experienced it lagging behind me - it getting stuck in the elevator shouldnt happen as something like that should be theoretically SOLID_NOT, and should update itself to the players coords periodically, not vice versa.

Yeah, LordHavoc has improved DP a lot lately over the past 18 months. I dont know which version of DP Transfusion is using now, but it is reaping some of the benefits.
Greybrow
Rat

Post by Greybrow »

I lives again! :D

Just few days ago, I ripped again my Blood CD with Exact Audio Copy, then listened to it carefully, and removed all clicks with Audacity. Then coded it with Lame with quality ~256kbps and tagged with foobar2000

Full zip with all mp3 and log/cue will be available in few minutes (still uploading)
As I understand it is legal to use it with Transfusion, so here you have it:
http://greybrow.iq.pl/pliki/Blood_Soundtrack.zip (51.4MB)
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Is that supposed to be better than the MP3 and OGG soundtracks that are already available on our site? :)
-Slink
Morry
Axe Zombie

Post by Morry »

Thanks for all the explanations, Willis. I'll see if I can elaborate further on some of my points.
Jethro
Fanatic

Post by Jethro »

Slink wrote:Is that supposed to be better than the MP3 and OGG soundtracks that are already available on our site? :)
-Slink
It's from Poland, it should be self-explainatory :)

Good to hear the project is still running, Predator was saying a few months ago that there will be next release in near future and that's it. I'll play it soon, hope someone will start dedicated server so we can have real Bloodbath :guns:
Greybrow
Rat

Post by Greybrow »

It is better :)
Otherwise I wouldn't post it :D

Available on site mp3 files have clicks, and oggs are normalized or sth (deep bass hurts speakers which does not happen with original cd audio) and they are only 128kpbs.

So unless you have "elephant stomped on ears problem", they are better ;)
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

...and THAT is why I asked. :) See? I learn sh!t every day. ;) -Slink
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

For some reason mine locks up when I quit. As in, the entire Computer freezes, and I have to turn it off at the switch.
Gabrihell

Post by Gabrihell »

its kinda stupid question
but its for blood 2? :D :)
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

That question did not make sense, so I'm not sure what you ask.

Transfusion is, for all intents and purposes, a recreation of Blood 1, however accurate or inaccurate it may be. Transfusion is a standalone game. No other software besides an operating system (and probably DirectX) are required.

Enjoy! ;)

-Slink