Won't start at all.

This is the place where information regarding beta releases will be. Discussion about bugs, changes, or questions should be posted here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Shagg E
Axe Zombie

Won't start at all.

Post by Shagg E »

Every time I get hyped about a game....

I downloaded both Beta 3 and the original release, and here's what I got.

Beta 3: Double clicked .exe, the desktop switched to 640x480 for about 10 seconds, then the engine crashes.

Original release: Double clicked .exe, desktop goes black, returns to desktop (640x480 again), goes back to black, 30 seconds of nothing, then it crashes.

I know my system specs are more than ample for this, but it uses an SiS760 integrated GPU, and I'm sure you've seen how finicky integrated cards can be... could that be the issue?
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Yeah I have the same problem and I have SiS 760 too. I guess it's just a problem with the video/graphics card.
Shagg E
Axe Zombie

Post by Shagg E »

Grrr..... I'll never understand the pick-and-choose style of SiS cards. It can run games like Far Cry and Painkiller with nary a glitch (Except the weapon models in Painkiller need to be turned off or else the polygons start connecting to random vertices), yet less-intensive games like Evil Dead: Regeneration and even NOLF2 have graphical glitches that make them unplayable, despite having everything it needs to run them...

Even my Geforce MX440 outperformed it in many cases... (before it blew out)

I like to think of myself as computer savvy, but GPU behaviour really makes me wonder sometimes...
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Those problems typically consist of cases where an effect/etc. in a graphics platform (OpenGL, Direct3D, etc.) is updated, and the outdated game software is not. Unfortunately, old methods are sometimes excluded, despite the demand for backward-compatability.

Long story short, the problem may not be a GFX card. It may be some douche decision by a GFX platform committee(group), or associate(person).

Visual "artifacts" resultant from such things (as mentioned) may be fixed with some tweaking of the games display settings, often of options that are only accessible from the game's console. (A prior version of Half-Life, for example. :) )

(Were you guys talking about Transfusion when you posted?) As for Transfusion, it is because of posts like this that make me think that we should remove the download links to previous versions. THE TEAM IS WORKING on another release, one that may not be out soon but will be out. You should try to get Blood working! (Hint: Install Win98 on a system.)

-Slink

P.S. I honestly wasn't trying to be a dick. Sorry if I came across that way.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Topic strays. Moved to General Blood