Blood + Quake = Transfusion also Quake = Half life....

Want to see something included in the game? Let us know here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

DemonPostalWorkr

Blood + Quake = Transfusion also Quake = Half life....

Post by DemonPostalWorkr »

So Half Life can run in the source engine. I believe Half Life was built upon the Quake engine. So here comes my next point. Probably a bad and dumb idea, but here it is. Is it possible to make Transfusion run in the Source engine? I was thinking if it was how much damn fun we could have with special lighting, props, etc. If the mod community likes it, and you left it open source, we COULD have a field day. Imagine Transfusion running through Steam. And Transfusion with superior lighting, a giant graphic overhaul. I just think it would be great if we could get it to run in Source because of what we could do to the game, they have Death Match Classic for Half Life...and it sucks....just like Quake Death Math, but thats what im getting at, except for use in the Source Engine. I just think it would be a hell of alot of fun to see a graphic overhaul for Bloodbath with props as well. Just an idea though...

Post by Guest »

I just signed up on this forums just now to tell you that is a horrible idea, and Quake deathmatch does NOT suck.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

I must say I vehemently oppose this idea on every facet of reality and my imagination.

Source has inferior lighting and tech to all of DarkPlaces which powers Transfusion. Steam is a steaming piece of crap. Sorry to say it but thats my take on it. And DeathMatch Classic is about as true to Quake's deathmatch (which is brilliant) as Milli Vanilli is to live vocals.

The DarkPlaces engine is significantly more advanced then Source ESPECIALLY on matters of lighting. Source is a bloated GLQuake port with a DX9 shader, a physics engine license from Havok and a terrain engine.

Sorry, but I oppose this idea like a lame duck president and new legislation.

Re: Blood + Quake = Transfusion also Quake = Half life....

Post by Guest »

Excuse me while I claw out my eyeballs after seeing that post.

HalfLife "Deathmatch Classic" is an abomination.

Source is closed source (meaning we can't improve the engine), and would be requiring every player of Transfusion to purchase HalfLife2 or another Source based game off of Steam (as there is no retail release of HalfLife2 anymore), this would defeat the whole point of using the Quake engine for Transfusion (that of it being a free standalone game using an easily modifiable engine, not a mod for a commercial game), and subject countless thousands to the horror that is Steam. Steam would be alright if it didn't waste cpu time, waste bandwidth, and waste everyones' time.

Additionally Source's lighting model is far less advanced than the Doom3-like lighting supported in DarkPlaces engine (which Transfusion is already using).

It would also be a waste of time to port from one engine to another, this involves rewriting all of the game code, and the project is currently lacking an experienced game code programmer so this new code would be slow in coming.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Agreed with scar3crow.
LordHavoc
Cabal member

Re: Blood + Quake = Transfusion also Quake = Half life....

Post by LordHavoc »

I forgot to login earlier, I said this:
Anonymous wrote:Excuse me while I claw out my eyeballs after seeing that post.

HalfLife "Deathmatch Classic" is an abomination.

Source is closed source (meaning we can't improve the engine), and would be requiring every player of Transfusion to purchase HalfLife2 or another Source based game off of Steam (as there is no retail release of HalfLife2 anymore), this would defeat the whole point of using the Quake engine for Transfusion (that of it being a free standalone game using an easily modifiable engine, not a mod for a commercial game), and subject countless thousands to the horror that is Steam. Steam would be alright if it didn't waste cpu time, waste bandwidth, and waste everyones' time.

Additionally Source's lighting model is far less advanced than the Doom3-like lighting supported in DarkPlaces engine (which Transfusion is already using).

It would also be a waste of time to port from one engine to another, this involves rewriting all of the game code, and the project is currently lacking an experienced game code programmer so this new code would be slow in coming.
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

*Agrees with LordHavoc*

Just keep freakin' half life and steam out of it!
DemonPostalWrkr
Cultist

Post by DemonPostalWrkr »

I wasn't aware darkplaces lighting was better. Okay, how about this then, Would it be possible to include a physics engine?
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

In what way is that supreme to DP?
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Yeah, why exactly do we need a physics engine? Blood has no physics engine, why add one?
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

I guess I shouldn't mention that right now I'm having a problem with the gravity on monsters in TF, right?
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Hehe... How so, can't get values right or are limitations being a problem? Maybe a physics engine would help, but I don't think things should be moveable with it.
DemonPostalWrkr
Cultist

Post by DemonPostalWrkr »

Yeah, why exactly do we need a physics engine? Blood has no physics engine, why add one?
Transfusion looks alot better than Blood after the beta releases, I just imagined the Quake engine would be too limited since its old technology. I thought the project was originally supposed to try and make BloodBath as close to the original as possible, but it seems that the graphics have way surpassed build, so I figured you would want to continue making the game better and better, SO, I figured if we had used Source it would save alot of time/effort. I just thought it would be fun to see things like if you went into a bar in blood E1M2 an explosion was near the wall, bottles falling off the wall and smashing, or in the graveyard. Or in the graveyard, if there were piles of leaves, if you shot napalm at it they would all fly up in the air and burn. I figured that would add to the fun. I am very impressed with the Transfusion project and its progress.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Speaking of a physics engine, we will need something that will allow bodies to be blown around. One of the best effects Blood had IMHO was when you killed something it'd fly across the room or get blown way up in the air, landing good 2 seconds later with a splat! But I think DP has that covered with the sagdoll physics. Behold! (5.7MB AVI)

Just think of that as a zombie that gets blone up into the air ..... <splat>

Post by Guest »

Just think of that as a zombie that gets blone up into the air ..... <splat>
Oh My! I am Extremely impressed, yeah id love to see Calebs doing that, and zombies of course! Ok I stand corrected no need to upgrade to any engine, seems pointless. Infact I am shocked by that video. I may need to go sit down and comprehend that that was really Quake.