About BLOOD with Jace Hall: "Blood - Should It Live Again?"

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

dosgamer000
Acolyte

Re: About BLOOD with Jace Hall: "Blood - Should It Live Agai

Post by dosgamer000 »

@Gila

The problem with Blood 1's Chosen is that they are barely existent. Mostly they are used as motivations for Caleb's revenge and to absorb their power to defeat Tchernobog. Blood 2 expands on them greatly but they still lack character depth (something which I am happy Nightmare Levels tried to improve) and they hardly matter to the shoddy plot aside from having a few allies for Caleb to talk with. Ophelia is British because I guess Monolith thought the accent was sexy or made her sound stand-offish. Gabriella I think is Creole and her NM level might be based on a Louisiana mansion. Ishmael is supposed to be Indian I think but Gabriella and Ishmael have the least amount of backstory unfortunately.

The whole of Blood 2 was less serious in tone compared to Blood 1 so if anything came off as corny (which many parts of Blood 2 are) then this was intentional. Yeah it's true, Blood 2 is an out-dated game and the glitches weren't helping matters at all but while the base game was lack-luster, I always liked it for it's potential to be very good. Blood 1 I agree is a near perfect FPS title that can be replayed numerous times akin to Doom and Duke 3D. Regarding unique skills for the Chosen, this is obviously a good idea that I am annoyed wasn't included in Blood 2. They have certain points switched around but no unique abilities.
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

I must say, im pretty stressed to not see nextgen fps with a 100% classic style (except maybe for ROTT 2013 but i havent played it... just bought it recently but i must play the first old one).

I just hope, one of my favorite will be back before i die, life is short and nothing happen :/
Im 32 but i would want so much a game like BLOOD in nextgen or hd with classic stuff, need more a licence like this one to show the awesome style of this kind of fps ^^ :phantasm:
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

UP !
Maybe new things?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Some people are talking about BLOOD, apparently... :wink:

For people who dont have FB:
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=57FF7E80
Message joined with the pic:
"Sitting here with OG game designer Nick Newhard discussing secrets.. U do the math. #iLiveAgain – " :phantasm:
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

I never could get my special addition atari 2600 version of Blood to work right. ;P
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

So nobody wants to take a crack at the message being telegraphed?
There are 3 faces in the room, one is darh vader, the 'father' of luke skywalker
To the left is Nick N, the 'father' of Blood. On the screen is aclassic Blood logo/load screen, which in turn is being
run off an atari console. So they're talking up Blood3.
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

If it's a BLOOD 3 game, i hope it will be with the atmosphere of the first one...because the enemies and atmosphere style of the 2 games are so differents......
I can't imagine a Cultist of 1900" (BLOOD 1) in a room with a the cultist with back jacket of BLOOD 2.... x)
A new port with modding tools could be awesome, to get more maps and mods ! (or the source code then?)

If it's a remake/BLOOD of the first one (as BLOOD 3) with a good engine (even unreal 4 who is really cool), it could be perfect, i imagine how creepy can be some maps ! :phantasm:
It could be interesting to see how people can like a remake of the first BLOOD :gargoyle:
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

N0t_mINe wrote:So nobody wants to take a crack at the message being telegraphed?
There are 3 faces in the room, one is darh vader, the 'father' of luke skywalker
To the left is Nick N, the 'father' of Blood. On the screen is aclassic Blood logo/load screen, which in turn is being
run off an atari console. So they're talking up Blood3.
not sure if serious, but i think this is reading into it too much.
also, it's not a blood loading screen, it's just 'attract' screen (aka menu bg)
blood loading screen was exactly like end level stats screen

this is actually a huge desktop wallpaper, you can see the taskbar at the bottom

well, whatever it is, hopefully some good news, but i wouldn't get too excited yet
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Don't want to go off on a rant and sound like a hater.

If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing.

I'll believe it when I see it i guess.....
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

No need for apprehension. As Blood fans, we've had our chains yanked more than a few times so caution is natural. It's not like there's a poster on the wall for the old band 'YES' anywhere in the picture. 8)
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

I must say, i prefer to not think There is something for now, i was so sad about canceled projects or nothing who are happened in E3 for some other series....i prefer just wait actually.... ^^'
"We will see" :)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Was I the only one who never was all that excited about Jason Hall's announcements even in 2012?

Not claiming to have superior foresight or anything, it just never really registered with me for whatever reason. :|
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

Manhs wrote:If it's a BLOOD 3 game, i hope it will be with the atmosphere of the first one...because the enemies and atmosphere style of the 2 games are so differents......
Kevin Kilstrom's art design is still awesome to this day. Maybe if Blood's IP has been reacquired, they could just render the enemy design in a modern engine, and have any new enemies for the game to follow the same art style.
Manhs wrote:I can't imagine a Cultist of 1900" (BLOOD 1) in a room with a the cultist with back jacket of BLOOD 2.... x)
Well, the Cultists are actually from the 1920s, but it still would interesting to see how the Cabal's Cultists looked like back in 1900 or 1890. I prefer to see a Blood sequel set back during the time period of the original Blood myself. I don't mind Blood 2's Cultist/Fanatic design, though I do wish that they were better executed. The Female Cultist concept art from Blood 2's old site still has potential for an interesting enemy in my mind.
Manhs wrote:If it's a remake/BLOOD of the first one (as BLOOD 3) with a good engine (even unreal 4 who is really cool), it could be perfect, i imagine how creepy can be some maps ! :phantasm:
It could be interesting to see how people can like a remake of the first BLOOD :gargoyle:
I hear you. I kept thinking awhile back that Blood 3 should take what was awesome about Blood to eleven, with more interactivity, atmosphere, and tension. An experience which makes Blood's world feel even more real. I visualize an updated Phantasm as behaving like a Ghostbusters ghost: mischievous, unpredictable, and each one having its own peculiar personality.
N0t_mINe wrote:I never could get my special addition atari 2600 version of Blood to work right. ;P
In speaking of Atari, could you imagine a classic Atari-styled freeware game inspired by Blood? Might look like a Lovecraftian combination of Cactusquid's Mondo Medicals and Stench Mechanics.
Gila wrote: nice idea, considering that originally blood II had this ambition, that you play through the game with different characters you would get at least different dialogue, which idea they ditched completely of course.
Exactly. The way I imagined Blood 2 to play like would've been similar to how Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins and Resident Evil 2 told their story through its multiple characters. And maybe with some aspects of Sacrifice's branching story campaigns.
Gila wrote:regardless, i don't like b2 versions of them pretty much because they were made into dumb stereotypes. ophelia is sort of british, gabriella is whatever it is, i duno, african? jamaican? ishmael i don't even know. if only they would tweak them not to be SO corny.
Agreed. The voice and British accent didn't suit Ophelia for me. I imagined her as speaking with a mountain Texan accent, with her voice being intense yet cold and controlled. I imagined Ishmael as speaking more like Gregory Peck's Ahab, speaking like a prophet, yet cryptic in his words. I'm not sure how I imagined Gabriella to sound like. Her voice certainly felt stereotypical and forced to me. If Gabriella were Jamaican, or Haitian, I'd want an actress who was the real deal who could do the accent yet still sound serious and cool. I'd also want the characters to have one-liners which would rival Caleb's, but still fit the tone of the voices I have in mind. Figuring how to do it right is the hard part.
N0t_mINe wrote:No need for apprehension. As Blood fans, we've had our chains yanked more than a few times so caution is natural. It's not like there's a poster on the wall for the old band 'YES' anywhere in the picture. 8)
I'd like to see Caleb sing some Yes music. Could you imagine Caleb's rendition of "Roundabout" and "I've Seen All Good People" while he's blasting the kool-aid cults and southern vigilante groups from the 60s?
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

Kevin Kilstrom is an awesome artist, i have seen a post about the way He made the demons...awesome! :)

I was thinking about what kind of demons could be added for a BLOOD 3, like little devils imp who wait at the corner like demons in some nightmares....if it feel like the BLOOD 1 atmosphere, it could be a good thing yes!

Also, good idea for the story! a reboot who use the story before 1900 could be really interesting, why did Caleb join the Cabal and Tchernobog in the past ? (i have read the story, i don't remember a lot), what happened to their world, ect.... And then the original BLOOD... or at least, just for an intro, because why should he uses guns then? It could be like a part of the game, or not, anyways

But yes, better to not think There could be any projects for now, better to wait and see.

I think I will play again with BLOOD expansions, i miss often this atmosphere hehe :D
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

Up:
The first post dont say much:

https://www.facebook.com/peter.freese/p ... 7086954762
It's (apparently) the guy who worked on BLOOD (i don't remember all the names) in a meetic, it seems to be a restaurant, one have a BLOOD (red hand) tshirt and Peter Freese say:
"There's something in common with everyone at this dinner meeting. See if you can guess what it is!"
And in a comment he added: "Matt's shirt is a hint." About the BLOOD tshirt (it's from him, yes)

The second one is the first shared by Jace Hall who say: "MORE SECRETS ABOUND...." and added in a comment: "The world may not ready for this kind of greatness... CRUDUX CRUO!"

https://www.facebook.com/JaceHallShow/p ... nref=story

Again, i prefer do not by hyped but i like how they "seem" to want to do something with BLOOD apparently ! We will see ! :wink:

Sorry again, i look maybe naive, but compared to a lot of licences i would want see back (with this one), BLOOD seem in a better way than the others haha! :D
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Manhs wrote:Up:
The first post dont say much:

https://www.facebook.com/peter.freese/p ... 7086954762
It's (apparently) the guy who worked on BLOOD (i don't remember all the names) in a meetic, it seems to be a restaurant, one have a BLOOD (red hand) tshirt and Peter Freese say:
"There's something in common with everyone at this dinner meeting. See if you can guess what it is!"
And in a comment he added: "Matt's shirt is a hint." About the BLOOD tshirt (it's from him, yes)

The second one is the first shared by Jace Hall who say: "MORE SECRETS ABOUND...." and added in a comment: "The world may not ready for this kind of greatness... CRUDUX CRUO!"

https://www.facebook.com/JaceHallShow/p ... nref=story

Again, i prefer do not by hyped but i like how they "seem" to want to do something with BLOOD apparently ! We will see ! :wink:

Sorry again, i look maybe naive, but compared to a lot of licences i would want see back (with this one), BLOOD seem in a better way than the others haha! :D

You're going to make me worry about this aren't you?

It's been 6 mo. since the last b3 thread so okay...

Firstly, 18 mo. minimum.
Secondly, explore the possibility of using 2.5d entities. The engine might be 3d, but our world objects and ai should feel... stylized is the best I can describe it. Too cool for pure representationalism is another stab at it, if you have an artsy fartsy friend they might know what represemtationalism refers too and how it is used despairingly.
thirdingly... I'll be back...