Blood2 extra-crispy, new mod

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

VGames
Acolyte

Re: Blood2 extra-crispy, new mod

Post by VGames »

Yeah I want more enemies. I love the over the top action that EC brings. Sorry if not everybody likes that style of gameplay but that's what I really wanted in Blood 2 from the beginning. I think I've achieved that and made it more important to use more of the weapons that were once forgotten about because they were more like overkill and unnecessary. You're a chosen, why wouldn't they throw tons of enemies at u at one time?

The howitzer bug is actually the model itself. I used a hex editor to remove the arm because there was no other way to do that. All known model editing programs failed me. This bug happened more then the howitzer when it came to the assault rifle and original combat shotgun. I eventually had to use a new model for the combat shotgun and the other secondary assault rifle model to get the guns to all have dual capabilities. The howitzer glitch never showed up for me or my beta testers even though I knew there would be a possibility for it to happen. ILA u are the first person to have this issue that I know of. For now just quick save and quick load till it goes away. I will fix this in the next release or in a small patch if this problem comes up more.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Vgames, would it be possible to hack that problem by altering the skin? I think the ban through the player view comes from the arm texture, or at least If ILA cheats to change which member of the chosen he is with the bug present, I think the artifact will disappear if I'm not mistaken.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

I got around to messing with the latest version. Finished the first chapter and while there is still more to go, I figured I might as well tell of my experiences. While the replacement of civies with cultists can be a tad overwhelming, I was prepared for this and played on Genocide just in case. The difficulty is still rather easy so I will remember to scale it up next playthrough. The new skins for the cultists are awesome and I love how they scream "IT BURNS! IT BURNS!" when you light them on fire! Such a great homage and I literally smiled at this. :D

The new Prophet voice is friggin' cool. Granted, he didn't last very long in our firefight but it fits so well with the dark sci-fi environment of Blood II, making it seem like they are cyborgs of some sort. Like the cultist, they got a new rad skin complete with a black face-mask. The Shredder auto-shotgun is pretty fun and while it has no alt-fire, I can see why this was done to not make it superior to the sawed-off shotguns. Tesla Cannon has it's original electrical sound from Blood 1 back and just like the burning cultist screams, it's a welcome addition from the older release. This mod used to crash alot on my computer but so far I have had no black screens seen whatsoever so kudos on that! :)

Overall, I have very good expectations for Extra Crispy and I look forward to what other things will surprise me. Great job!
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

I'm glad u liked it but the combat shotgun does have a secondary attack mode and its actually one of the best features in EC. It uses fuel for ammo and its a flamethrower with realistic burning fire effects. You've got to try it out.

I don't think so not_mine. Its a distorted leftover from where the arm once connected with the gun. Its not hard to take care of. I'll just replace its model with the one from EC v4 and pull the model back towards the player some. That's how I had it before. We'll lose a little visibility of the howitzers awesome model bit I think its a justified sacrifice.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

VGames wrote:Yeah I want more enemies. I love the over the top action that EC brings. Sorry if not everybody likes that style of gameplay but that's what I really wanted in Blood 2 from the beginning. I think I've achieved that and made it more important to use more of the weapons that were once forgotten about because they were more like overkill and unnecessary. You're a chosen, why wouldn't they throw tons of enemies at u at one time?
It is not so much that I do not like the idea of having more enemies in of itself, it is the fact that they always appear in clumps, clogging up the line. I also can not in good conscience call the overall experience more polished when I am constantly being faced by Cultists stacked one on top of the other or placed in uniform straight lines, especially when it exacerbates the sinking in the floor bug that makes some of these clumps unclearable. I am also constantly having a problem with the Sniper Rifle not working because there are too many fallen bodies close by.

I get that EC is an exploration of your own personal vision, and that to truly enjoy it I need to buy into the idea of treating it like a whole new game, but these clumps do sometimes get close to game breaking for me. On smaller maps like the inside of the airship it can be close debilitating. It really does make it harder to appreciate the other changes, which for the most part I am willing to accept or even celebrate with the possible exception of the removal of the Civilians, and that is why I am making a point out of it.

On the other hand, I am loving the new more powerful flare pistol, which I only really started utilizing today. That is a definite improvement. :guns:
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

I understand your points but I had only one way to see my vision through. The clumps are a small problem that I too have witnessed but without a proper way to edit the maps the method I used to add more enemies to the game was the only way to go. I say blow them all to pieces.

Glad u like the flaregun. The secondary fire mode was how I always thought it should work. Never understood the original secondary fire modes projectiles.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

When it comes to the Orb, the new explosive alternative fire is indeed useful, although I do kind of miss using it to peer around corners like I did when I was using older versions of Extra Crispy. Was there any particular reason why you could not have had both, with it still working on remote control and then exploding on contact?
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Personally I never liked the guided orb. That's why I removed it. I found it cheap and the last thing I used. Made things too easy for me. I wanted to reinvent the orb and make it one of those get out there and rip them apart kind of weapons. I think I pulled it off.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

So I just finished Chapter Two with Extra Crispy turned on.

The Behemoth is now almost ridiculously easy when fought with dual Juggernaut Grenade Launchers.

Ishmael did not have any inclination to shoot me until I shot him first, so all is well here.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Tchernobog wrote:So I just finished Chapter Two with Extra Crispy turned on.

The Behemoth is now almost ridiculously easy when fought with dual Juggernaut Grenade Launchers.
How many hits would you estimate before he went down?
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

N0t_mINe wrote:How many hits would you estimate before he went down?
Well, I was not really counting, just pointed at its face and kept firing. Only took about thirty seconds.

As is usual, the Behemoth in the very next level was more challenging though.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

I'm so glad u guys are enjoying the mod. I put a lot of time into this and I'm very happy with the turn out. There's a lot I'd like to add in the next release but I'm not sure if I have the know how to do it all. I'm really hoping for some help when the time comes.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

I wonder how much of blood2's beastiery could be replicated using models from other games? I mean, assuming there were no i.p. issues or technical barriers, how close could we come to replicating blood2 without making use of the original resources or engine?

Suited cultists would be easy, not too sure about anything else. The zealot, shroud, and bethomoth might be doable. Shikari would be impossible. Naga, drudgelord/priest would tough.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Not sure. I had an idea of doing Blood 2 on the build engine. Of course it would take a lot of work to remake all the characters and weapons. Not sure if id even attempt it but its an idea.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

So no one was impressed by the b'moths improved tracking?!?

That, along with the new shroud behavior, was a highlight for me.

Man, if VGames had the dark act source...

*Looks about to see if anyine noticed the re-post*

*Runs away*