New Build engine game

Anything gaming related that is not red and gooey goes in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

mickey96
Rat

New Build engine game

Post by mickey96 »

Shaw's Nightmare is a 3D game by Mickey Productions.

You can download it here: http://shawsnightmare.ucoz.com

Mickey Productions is looking for pixel artists. If you want to join, PM me or e-mail me at michealmuniko@gmail.com
Last edited by mickey96 on Mon Feb 09, 2015 04:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: New Build engine game

Post by Tchernobog »

Welcome to the forum, and hello to MS Paint. ;)
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Lol that's awesome.
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

I like the art style you implemented with MS Paint. It reminds me of some of Yahtzee Croshaw's games, which implemented a similar art style with the same program.
I also how the art style was complemented by the BUILD engine's dynamic capabilities.

It took me awhile to get it working, but once I realized that I had to play it on DOS, it worked just fine.

It's a shame that you're collaborators left out, but the work you have accomplished is impressive.

Good going with this project. :)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

BEAST wrote:I like the art style you implemented with MS Paint. It reminds me of some of Yahtzee Croshaw's games, which implemented a similar art style with the same program.
Did you find out about them due to Zero Punctuation, or did you like me know about Yahtzee before he was cool?
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

Tchernobog wrote:
BEAST wrote:I like the art style you implemented with MS Paint. It reminds me of some of Yahtzee Croshaw's games, which implemented a similar art style with the same program.
Did you find out about them due to Zero Punctuation, or did you like me know about Yahtzee before he was cool?
Actually, I found out about those games from a special PC Gamer issue which covered nothing but free games. It was thanks to that issue that discovered the games of Cactussquid, The Desolate Room, Facade, and Gunlimb. Not to mention, plenty of freeware adventure games including Yahtzee's own Chzo Mythos series.

I was aware of Yahtzee's videos before, but I never watched him that much, and didn't know that the games were made by him. It was only after playing the games that I realized that he designed them, and I was impressed how he wrote and developed each game. Not only his adventure games, but his platformer games too, like 1213, Art of Theft, and Poacher. Even his Age of Evil mod for Duke Nukem 3D had its own charm about it.

I wished I played his first games from the early 2000s, but I didn't know or understand the existence of fan made adventure games at that time. From playing Odysseus Kent and the Rob Blanc Trilogy, I felt like Yahtzee and I had similar sensibilities when it came to design and experience in games (though I have yet to learn how to make my own games).

Interestingly, Yahtzee is also a fan of Blood, and cites E1M3 Phantom Express as a favorite level. In Age of Evil, his (anti)hero become undead, and tries to say Caleb's line "I live agai-(coughs). Sorry!" Makes me wonder, if Yahtzee ever did a mod for Blood, what it would look like.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

BEAST wrote:Actually, I found out about those games from a special PC Gamer issue which covered nothing but free games. It was thanks to that issue that discovered the games of Cactussquid, The Desolate Room, Facade, and Gunlimb. Not to mention, plenty of freeware adventure games including Yahtzee's own Chzo Mythos series.
In my case it was my brothers and I finding the Rob Blanc trilogy on a MS DOS game database and aggregator around 2004 or so, the same place that we earlier found out about Doom, Blood, and Duke Nukem 3D. I also currently package and maintain the Chzo Mythos binaries for Linux using the AGS Linux runtime, as it happens:
http://icculus.org/~hamish/chzo/
BEAST wrote:Interestingly, Yahtzee is also a fan of Blood, and cites E1M3 Phantom Express as a favorite level. In Age of Evil, his (anti)hero become undead, and tries to say Caleb's line "I live agai-(coughs). Sorry!" Makes me wonder, if Yahtzee ever did a mod for Blood, what it would look like.
I was of course aware of the Chris Quin quip, but do you have a citation for his comments on E1M3?

If you do, feel free to add it our Blood in Other Media article:
http://www.blood-wiki.org/index.php/Blo ... References
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

Tchernobog wrote: I was of course aware of the Chris Quin quip, but do you have a citation for his comments on E1M3?

If you do, feel free to add it our Blood in Other Media article:
http://www.blood-wiki.org/index.php/Blo ... References
Certainly. Yahtzee mentions this in the commentary for his platformer/adventure, 1213. It's during the brief train section in the third chapter of that game.
Ah. The moving vehicle level. Adds an interesting twist to any game once you've run out of ideas for laboratories, warehouses and sewers. I also had a moving vehicle level in my Duke 3D mod Age of Evil. [...] Not much to add here, except that my personal favorite moving vehicle levels in games are the phantom train from Blood and the airplane level from No-One Lives Forever.
I've got the video here which shows the game with the commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fL4ltqrZvk
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Ah, I should really go through more of the games with the commentaries on, seeing as I package them. :oops:

And apologies to mickey96 for derailing his thread somewhat. I should pencil in some Shaw's Nightmare playtime as penance. :shooting:
mickey96
Rat

Post by mickey96 »

Shaw's Nightmare has a forum: http://shawsnightmare.ucoz.com/forum