Need help with something...

Anything not gaming related goes here. Not sure where something should be posted? Post it in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Ransu
Cheetah

Need help with something...

Post by Ransu »

I didn't really know who else to turn to about this problem I'm having, but I was messing with a program called Your Freedom and then when I try uninstalling it my web browsers can't connect to anything. The only way to go on anything is by connecting to a proxy server through the program first which is what I'm doing right now. I'd ask for help on the program site's forums, but it won't let me post because I'm a new member which is stupid. Anyone know how I can make my internet work normally again? I have no system restore points so I can't do that even though I could have sworn my computer automatically made some before. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Please help me if you can. :)

Program site: www.your-freedom.net
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

So, this is an anonymizer of sorts? There's a good chance that it fiddled with your DNS settings, that would stop your bowser from working properly. See if you can ping, or load a website directly from IP. The IP I'm getting for Google is 74.125.95.106

If you can load the webpage directly from IP, go into your network settings and see if anything was inserted into the DNS section.
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

I tried disconnecting from the program and entering Google's IP into my address bar, but it doesn't load. However, I am able to ping the IP through the cmd on Windows. It seems that this thing messed with my web browser settings.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Chances are, it had some malware properties to it. I would uninstall whatever version of IE you have installed (in "add/remove programs" or "programs & features) and then "update" it via Windows Update. Also, consider using a separate working computer to download another browser (because IE sucks anyway) such as Firefox or Chrome. Those ones don't usually break like IE does (your case in point).

Also consider getting Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

You can just plunk this stuff onto a flash drive and copy to /install on the messed computer.

Questions?
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

After messing with the program for a while I found a way to restore my default browser settings. Turns out there was a setting for it. Thanks for the help anyways. :D
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

glad you got it working again. Did you figure out what was actually causing the problem, or did the "default settings" button do it for you, automagically?
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

There was a setting to make my web browsers use the program and I must have accidentally turned it on which prevented me from browsing the web without being on the program. Yes there was a button to restore everything to default. :P