Blood 2 mod

Cool ideas, unfortunately, they breach copyright.
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Wait, did something get released? :O

:phantasm:
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Nothing's been released, and I really have no idea of when all of this might be done.

Blood 2 was released before it was completed and if I were to repeat that same mistake, it would defeat the whole point of this project.

But good things may come to those who wait...

wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

how many great maps have been built for the project? I believe this should be the core issue to keep in mind and have the experience and actual gameplay be the anchor. All the tweaks and neat tricks wont amount to much if the map construction is not the best thing about the project. I look at the Knights of the Force mod for Jedi Academy. It was 5 years in development and has lots of neat features and tricks and things, but its pretty boring from what I have played.

From the screenshots Ive seen though, the maps look like they could be pretty good though
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Thanks, wangho. I agree that good level design is extremely important, and I hope that they will all eventually prove to be atmospheric and entertaining.

However without a solid coding foundation it really wouldn't matter how nice the levels might look or feel. Buggy code and bad AI would make even the best of level designs an unenjoyable experience.

Aside from the code and level design, the enemies themselves have to be considered as well. If they don't look or act right, then people will most likely feel disappointed no matter how much attention has been put into the level design.

The reason this project even exists is because I always wanted to repair all of the mistakes that I felt Monolith made with Blood 2. Unfortunately with all things considered, that will take some time.

kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Since this will all take awhile, here's a little entertainment while you wait. :lol:

Caleb --2nd
Zealot

Post by Caleb --2nd »

lol,kurt i really admire your work
its so perfectly done
but you can't keep us wait so long... :)
Mic
Axe Zombie

Post by Mic »

Caleb --2nd wrote:lol,kurt i really admire your work
its so perfectly done
but you can't keep us wait so long... :)
Yes he can. Even retail games have do this, they keep us wanting more and more over time. Mod, updates are almost instantaneous, because the team is proud to show off their work. Retail games on the other hand, pay people to schedule release samples, make fake screen shots and build up the hype so it would peak at the time of release.
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Mic is correct, and professional developers may take several years in developing a game. They also usually have an entire team of skilled individuals working on it, and a considerable amount of money to spend on expenses.

On the other hand, I'm not a professional developer and I do have a career and a life outside of all of this. I have somehow been able to manage my spare time well, but working alone does unfortunately increase the development time of any project.

But hopefully things will continue to progress well, and eventually some day all of this may get completed. :)

Caleb --2nd
Zealot

Post by Caleb --2nd »

he got point but it will be awsome if you speed up your project
Mic
Axe Zombie

Post by Mic »

Single person projects are longer, but usually have a better success rate of getting done. As multiple a person project, people are not coming and going, conflicts in direction, and arguments, etc...

It would be neat if Kurt could get permission to release the mod as a free game, move the normal game levels and release the entire project as a standalone program.
Caleb --2nd wrote:he got point but it will be awsome if you speed up your project
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Mic wrote:It would be neat if Kurt could get permission to release the mod as a free game, move the normal game levels and release the entire project as a standalone program.

I had asked Monolith several times for exactly that, (as usual they never replied) I wanted remove all the retail levels, textures, sounds...etc and just leave in only the ones I used for the levels I made, so basically you could play the game but only the stuff that I made.

Perhaps Kurt could have more influence with them :evillaugh:
kurt
master of the universe

Post by kurt »

Theoretically a person could download the Blood 2 demo to obtain the necessary files that I'm legally not permitted to distribute. This would then make this game pretty much free.

Monolith has refused to answer any of my emails. So if they have a problem with that, they can kiss my hairy ass.

I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

ROFL :lol:
Zardoz
Fanatic

Post by Zardoz »

Monolith has refused to answer any of my emails. So if they have a problem with that, they can kiss my hairy ass.

^^This needed saying.^^
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Nice attitude, kurt. :P