When did you first discover BLOOD?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

When did you first discover BLOOD?

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Just as the title asks, how is it you first came across the greatest FPS ever made?

Me, I was browsing the contents of my Duke3D disc and stumbled upon a few screenshots from upcoming games. The games listed were Prey, Shadow Warrior and BLOOD.

I glanced over the images for the other games, but then I opened the BLOOD folder. I looked at those screens over and over again, the dark, violent, gothic setting just imediatly grabbed me. Since that day I followed the Blood development day by day. Jumped on a copy of the shareware version... and the minute I splatterd the first zombie with a bundle of dynamite I was in love. :D I rushed out soon after and picked up a copy of the full version. Blood has become the game in which I judge all others by.

When did you discover BLOOD?
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

*Cough* This was my last post on the old forum *cough*

- Sorry... had some phlegm in my throat.

You shouldn't judge all other games according to Blood! That's plain unfair to them! :wink:

Well, as stated in the old ones. My brother said that he'd seen a pretty cool looking game and he bought it for me for my birthday...

... best birthday present ever, that...
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

First heard about Blood from PC Gamer Magazine in late 96. I got the demo off their demo CD (which I bought a second copy of just to get the CD from a book store) in early April just before it had gone gold. I'm sure the downloadable shareware version must have been available around that time, but I think my internet connectivity was quite limited at that time.

That demo disc turned out the be the 0.91 SW version oddly enough, something different.

Anyway, I promptly bought Blood when it was released to stores. It was the first game I had actually bought myself. I had been playing Doom, Hexen, and Duke, that my friend gave me so we could play modem deathmatch.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

We were playing games weekly on the LAN at the local college. Testing out all the new shareware demos that were coming out what seemed to be daily. Blood was part of that golden age.
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

I learned of its existance when I bought Tomb Raider, I think. Anyway, I was one of those lucky people who bagged themselves a BLOOD flyer with the old screenshots and everything... Wow, it even had "mimes" down as one of Blood's enemies... I suppose they are.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

A March 1996 CGW magazine, where they also mentioned and had shots of Prey, Shadow Warrior and Blood.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I downloaded the shareware the night it came out, had to pull an all-nighter to get it cause of the dialup at the time. I finally got all of it at about 5:30 AM and was gonnal load it, then get some sleep...... after seeing that first zombie go up in flames and screaming,,,there was no sleep after that.

Played throught the whole thing the first day, then lan bloodbath with my neighbor every night for months straight....
DemonPostalWrkr
Cultist

Post by DemonPostalWrkr »

I was on windows95.com and I stumbled upon it and I downloaded it, as soon as I blew up that first zombie with the TNT I loved it.

Post by Guest »

since the "dark" soviet past my country had, at the time there where no legal CDs, just pirated. they usually have all 650 mB filled with stuff (game collections) and only some games as big as Myst where alone on CDs. So. i was looking for a full version of DN3D, it was long before Blood came out in any form. It was, hmm, it was when full version of DN3D came out! so i was looking for DN3D (need to add that sometimes pirates did ugly thing: they could place a shareware DN3D and write on a box it is a full version which they actually didn't have at the moment). And i found DN3D. It had some other games with it (don't remember exactly, but witchaveb was there or witchaven II). one of the names was BLOOD. second in the list after DN3D. i was too glad to have DN3D so i rushed to play it... but i remember how word BLOOD digged itself into my brain. that same evening or next day i gave CD to a friend who digged his nose father than DN3D and he called me and said "did you see that game Blood? you might like it - it's so insane!". so i asked CD back and understood that BLOOD had more than name and some ethereal connection with me since i noticed it but "attempted" to not give this game enough attention right away - the game returns to me itself. than i "installed" Blood. actually it turned out it was "blood alpha build" which was so much talked about on older forums and it was FRESH, just stolen. so i kinda was among "lucky" few who saw the game faaar before ANY official releases. Quake wasn't out yet if i don't mess the memories. and imagine what it was for me! The game hit me right from the first screen i saw (just map01 with pitchfork, statusbar with heart, two stone gargoyles, and "spy view" showed a cultist and lotsa greeny-grey bricks around), the game hit me even before with it's name (as i said) but then... then i looked through EVERY level, i started to draw my own cos I thought the game is near and i can be full of my own levels when it comes out, i read ALL of text documents... and all of that turned into some long wait!!! i can mistake but i had to wait like 1 or 2 years till i saw the final game! s***... and i wasn't just into screens or web pages or news... i saw cultist run, i saw gargoyles turn from stone to life, i saw how crack in walls just lower down like elevators, but it still promised a lot... hmm. i guess if all the time TF would be secret than somebody from community here could occasionaly find the latest beta or somethin... no. this example is not enough. i don't know what to compare... may be a two level demo of secret project Blood 3 which nixes all right things from previous games? i dunno...
what i must add is some games loose attention because they have loosy demo or wrong first map or something you know. but even though Blood had good demo and right levels and enemyes for me it turned out to be much greater game - the one that binds you with 5 letters first, then with just first thing you see on screen, and then with every little or big feature you see...even huge changes from alpha which i was already "used to" (i disliked Caleb's closes for example at first - i thought cultist was better) didn't stop me. or they pushed me? i dunno... i know that all these things mean... LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!!! he-he:)
kinda self-exposure of maniac i did here:)

Post by Guest »

Oh my! that was me!!! hmm, somehow when i enter forums at home that "log me in every time i visit" works OK, but here on the job... it only remembered password, but no matter how many times i check "log me in auto" it fails... win2K on the job win98se at home... both have IE6... what could it be?
-ED
Cabal member

Post by -ED »

h my GOD!!! it even managed to "loose" my logged in state during changing topics! something wrong with this machine here... damn. two posts above by Guest are actually mine....F***!
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

You've really got to stop doing that, mister Ed. :wink:

Damn! So you actually saw the Alpha before the real Blood! Lucky Beast...

- oh and please... try paragraphs!
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Ra_Ra_Gazaa wrote: Anyway, I was one of those lucky people who bagged themselves a BLOOD flyer with the old screenshots and everything... Wow, it even had "mimes" down as one of Blood's enemies... I suppose they are.
Is that the flyer that had the guy laying in the bathtub full of blood. And all it said on it was...

"Blood... your soaking in it."

If so I've got that flyer! :D I've got a lot of flyers from various mags, previews and reviews.
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Damien_Azreal wrote:
Ra_Ra_Gazaa wrote: Anyway, I was one of those lucky people who bagged themselves a BLOOD flyer with the old screenshots and everything... Wow, it even had "mimes" down as one of Blood's enemies... I suppose they are.
Is that the flyer that had the guy laying in the bathtub full of blood. And all it said on it was...

"Blood... your soaking in it."

If so I've got that flyer! :D I've got a lot of flyers from various mags, previews and reviews.
No, I believe this was a flyer with "Blood" on one side and "Shadow Warrior" on the other.

Otherwise, would've mentioned the "guy laying in the bathtub" detail. :lol:
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

I remember the guy in the bloody tub advertisements, they also use the graphic on the shareware retail box.

Too bad I didn't keep any of those old game magazines.