Blood 2 ending movie? <spoiler warning>

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Victor Frankenstein

Post by Victor Frankenstein »

The ending for Quake 1 was not lame at all. For all you bloody nose gushing snobs, Quake was very revolutionary and groundbreaking at the time, back when all you teenage loosers liked simplistic, colorful, fun episodic games crammed with levels involving a finding the key, finding the secrets, killing all the enemies, butchering a big mean boss at the end, and reading little story descriptions with cheap illustrations on the side. I liked the ranger standing firm with a rusty axe after exploding Shub Nurggath's flesh into the lava (Why didn't id contiue with the original Quake storyline). My only complaint is that Quake should have had more creative bosses besides the giant demon or the mangled flesh faced witch. It's basically a higher tech version of Doom with more perspective, but it nonetheless changed the face of gaming, next to Duke Nukem 3D (which was a misogynist distortion of the original platform classic! :veryangry: .... well, not really).
Back on topic, I haven't played the full version of Blood 2, but I know that the developers didn't take their Blood franchise seriously enough. Blood 2 could have tried follow Jedi Knight's level design, take inspiration from Blade Runner, Batman, Ghostbusters 1 and 2, improve upon the Litech engine, and at least go for a System Shock approach to the monsters. The story sounded exciting before the game was released. Why couldn't they have taken their game seriously enough to make a decent Blood 2 ending cinematic? (Personally, I wish they could have taken the Dark Forces 2 approach to cinematics: that is film cutscenes in live action, except with much better actors. Well filmed twisted B-Movie horror, with an excellent plot, and convincing and not to cheap monsters).
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I suspect you're being sarcastic, but I'm going to have to contend that the Quake1 ending was lame. Think about it, you end the game, on an island in the middle of a lake of lava. Why didn't they continue the story? Because the main character was effectivly sentanced to DEATH.

I'm not saying the game itself was bad at all. I've probably played through it hudreds of times. The ending, however was prety much a non event. There is alot to be said about the gamer playing for the gameplay rather than any amout of story the producer wants to throw at it.

id saw the oportunity to sell a product beyond just the game and they went for it. Sure they still make a respectable game, but their primary money maker isn't the id/Raven game that's only on the top 10 seller list for 2 or 3 weeks... it's the OTHER 5-8 games on the list that they've licenced their technology to that's bringing home the bacon. I bet they are still getting licencing fees from Valve with the remaining Quake technology in HalfLive II

Monolith saw what was going on and wanted a peice of the pie. Blood2 and Shogo were debut games for the Lithtech engine, so I'm not sure "improving upon" the Lithtech engine was much on their minds. Unfortunaly making two fairly lackluster games dosn't really inspire the masses into sinking development into a fiarly buggy game engine when they can just as easily coose the well proven Quake based tech.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Theoretically he could escape, because you collect the runes to blast open the gate to Shub Niggurath, and through killing her, probably became more powerful. Quake's ending was cheesy because it said "id software salutes you", thats what made it cheesy to me. A good ending for the Quake universe is the one found in the partial conversion Zerstorer. I think was in fact a game that was played for the gameplay and not for the plot (Im yet to find a game that is oriented towards the plot that has a plot good enough to make up for the gameplay...)

The storyline wasnt continued because it wasnt the storyline they originally wrote, Quake is essentially Doom because they ran out of time for what they wanted, so they coded some Doom weapons and used the existing maps. Thus they had little connection with that story - though there is a passion, and influence from the creative side. However another thing of note is two of the architects of Quake's Quakeness are Romero and Peterson, neither of whom worked on Quake2, and Quake3 lacks Brandon James (who worked on Q2 and the aforementioned Zerstorer mod) and American McGee. Take note of the fact that McGee quit, and 24 hours later it was announced that Quake3 would be multiplayer only. Also take notice that after James quit, we stopped seeing those cool very dark screenshots with the hellish furnaces and winding caverns of flesh and saw more of the techno-goth and space maps.

id has become a primarily technology game company because only the tech people remain, id was originally great tech with great gameplay company. Carmack is still around. Romero, Peterson, McGee and James are not. However I am curious as to their next title as it is not a franchise one, and (Ive no idea if he was there for Doom3 or not) they have the excellent Steve Rescoe mapping for them.

If you want to inject a story into Quake, it is the fact that it isnt a story or a plot, it becomes a primal progression of revenge against an assaulting force, adrenaline against the odds because all you are concerned with is vanquishing the opponent. It is essentially the same operatives as Blood's story, only it lacks the wonderful elements of betrayal and love lost. Quake is impersonal, stoic and brutal. Blood is personal, fanatical, and boasting of velocity.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Nice to see people supporting Blood, for a change, in this place. I salute you! (No cheesyness intended! :wink: )
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

i don't know what's the fuss about zerstorer. to me it just sucks, at least the half of it. granted, there were some cool "meaty" levels but basically that's it. there are tons of better levels and mappacks than zerstorer.

quake 1 is great no doubt about it, but the ending was ok; since you had to figure out how to beat shubby i guess that was the whole point. i mean doom2 had pretty much the same (icon of sin). also romero stated in various interviews that quake was pretty awkward game to make since they changed the concept from the original rpg one and made sort of another doom game, only more grittier, darker and with nailguns, and in 3d on a new engine.

the fourth episode of quake1 stands truly unique since it's so... different from the rest three. amazing job even if it looks kinda ugly but hey that's the elder world what did you expect. ;)
Victor Frankenstein

Post by Victor Frankenstein »

Is it possible for someone able to post screenshots or a video clip of the game ending sequence? .... Maybe the introductory cinematic sequence too. That way people who don't own the game could judge how bad Monilith's judgement was in creating it.
By the way, since a good majority of Blood followers dislike the cinematic ending, it would be a good idea to create a wholly new cutscenes for the Blood 2 remake. Hardcore fans for the Tenchu: Stealth Assassins series did it for the first Tenchu game, and we have plenty of hardcore fans here who would be happy to improve upon the Blood and Blood 2 cinematics.

"It's Alive! It's Alive! It's Alive!"
Zardoz who can't log in

Post by Zardoz who can't log in »

By the way, since a good majority of Blood followers dislike the cinematic ending, it would be a good idea to create a wholly new cutscenes for the Blood 2 remake. Hardcore fans for the Tenchu: Stealth Assassins series did it for the first Tenchu game, and we have plenty of hardcore fans here who would be happy to improve upon the Blood and Blood 2 cinematics.

I agree, Any meaningful attempt at reworking b2 would have to start with the cut scenes.
Is it possible for someone able to post screenshots or a video clip of the game ending sequence? .... Maybe the introductory cinematic sequence too.
there's a clip oe the intro scene somewhere on you tube. I'll try to get some shots as I approach the end of the game.
Seymour
Axe Zombie

Post by Seymour »

Well, hi there.
Though I´m from Germany and it wasnt officially puplished here -as far as I remember - I just got one copy of it... and I´ve never seen this damn Ending, just this "chosen-walk"..which is quite... dunno.. strange in a uncool way.

But I wanted to know all the time what this ancient one was, and how this otherworld was connected to the world.
Is there any of you guys who can answer this ?
would be awesome
Zardoz
Fanatic

Post by Zardoz »

Supposedly the *Ancient One is sending all the nasty beasteis to earth.

There really isn't that much to it. The player has killed Gideon, then you fight these ancient ones who've possesed the bodies of the other chosen, then you find your'e self on the shore of some giant blood lake, fighting a red version of Shub Neggareth froom quake or whatever. Oh, your weapons don't work by the way- only the die bug die! does any damage, hilarious huh?!?!

The last cut scene is of Ishmael telling Caleb to heal the universe, which he does, then it raps up with the chosen walking together scene.
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

who the heck was Gideon anyway?
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Just a phony leader of the cabal who cared more about outdoing Bill Gates in monopoly than leading his cult the old fashioned way.

Well..... unless there's more to him than meets the eye?
Seymour
Axe Zombie

Post by Seymour »

I still don´t get the connection between Gideon and the Ancient Ones.

I liked Gideon.
In spite I don´t like long hair on guys.
and it was white.
Kinda a anime thing...

Well the first duell with him on the rooftop sucked anyway.
Krypto
Cultist

Post by Krypto »

Blood 2 Sucked, it had nothing to do with the original, fighting through offices and complexs wtf? happened to the old atmosphere. Now go play more Blood! :gargoyle:
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Ooh, a Blood 2 bashing thread! My favourite!

"The end that was" depends on what you perceived the ending to be. It could have been the credits or it could have been the cutscene after you defeated the ancient one or it could have been the entire last episode (which I personally enjoyed).

Who plays FPSs to find out if the ending is enjoyable or not? No one. The point of FPSs is to SHOOT things from a FIRST PERSON perspective. Blood 2 manages to do this just fine, even if it doesn't match the same "feeling" as the original.

ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BLOOD 2 IS AS FOLLOWS: The Life Leech is actually a muppet with a bad stomach and the voodoo doll looks and behaves remarkably cute. Ooh look, dolly is waving at me!

:phantasm:
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

lol and the fanatics hop and squeel when you unload both barrle's into em :evillaugh: