Another blast from the past

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Another blast from the past

Post by Willis »

Atari has restored the old gtinteractive public ftp, and the Blood teaser is still there!

Blood teaser video AVI format
Blood teaser video MOV Quicktime format

*edit* updated links */edit*
Last edited by Willis on Sun Jun 11, 2006 07:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

it's funny because it shows

- 00:21 - a little weird level, probably this is an old, red-brick version of morningside cemetery building (e1m1), i've never seen this before.
- 00:23 - the white and green-themed interior of 2nd floor of that building (near the crematorium room), notice the light switch is not itself actually but a two-button switch.
- 00:27 - where the guy shoots the window in e1m1 building. first you see the actually masked texture change into several frames of broken glass, and only then the "glass gibs" fly. no idea why they removed it, same with the breakable vases from alpha.
- 00:32 - house of horrors level, the level has no forest around it, different textures! also the entrance is a bit simpler. perhaps an early version.
- 00:40 - early version of e1m1 crematorium!
- 00:44 to 00:45 - totally unknown level to me!!! it has that pyramid. pretty cool and alpha-ish.

i think there's more, can anyone add? too bad the quality sucks balls, otherwise a great look to the past for me and other dudes who like alpha, and early blood stuff. great find.
Savage
Axe Zombie

Post by Savage »

Nice look into the past - including horrible prerendered scenes... I really prefer ingame graphics :)
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

You are quite observant there Gila!

The two button switch is kinda cool, very 19th century, too bad they were removed.

Anyway, couple more things

- 00:15 - Switch from a single napalm launcher to akimbo tommy guns, no pickup artifact
- 00:21 - Indeed an early version of e1m1, the red brick texture on the wall is still used in the level end room.
- 00:40 - 4 digit ammo count for the hairspray w/ lighter LOL, voodoo doll which doesn't appear in e1m1 at all soon follows
- 00:44 to 00:45 - That one stumped me too, can't seem to place anything there.

Additional notes, this movie was released after Blood, notice the sequel advertisement, and the boxes for both Blood and Plasma Pak, Plasma Pak was a few months after Blood (and it also began as "available now", funny they used so much early influence on a teaser video released after the game.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

yeah but the plasma pak is 80% of an early stuff. except first, second and the last level, i think it's pretty much stuff from the alpha days. so i guess the usage of old stuff kinda fits. wonder why they used really early footage of original game is the question... lol.

by the way. i think in this advert, the shotgun uses sound from alpha (it's different in the final version).

wonder if there's any more such cute stuff. :)
RottKing
Axe Zombie

Post by RottKing »

Actually the last level in the Plasma Pak is from the Alpha too.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Thanks for the cool vid, Willis.

Ahh Gila... you got to this one before me! Your analysis was superb - I couldn't have done it better.

The graveyard outside the Morningside Funeral Home is a lot larger in the video. Perhaps it is just the poor quality that deceives.

The sawed-off shotgun fight takes place in The Altar of Stone. You are correct Gila, the sound is the Alpha Blood shotgun secondary fire! :D

Something about Wrong Side of the Tracks in that video just doesn't smell right. Investigation is required.

This 'pyramid' structure, as you call it, seems to be in the Dark Carnival! Note the bright wooden floorplanks and the crude fence walls. Fascinating.

Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

we should define what level is considered to be "the last" from the plasma episode. i was talking about the "beauty and the beast", i.e. the boss level, i don't remember it being in the alpha levels set... as for the secret plasma level, forgotten catacombs, it is indeed in the alpha...

as for e1m1 graveyard area, god damn, that levels is f*** genious, i mean, the amount of detail is great for a build engine game. in the greeny-whitey-squarey corridor there is a barred window where you can see another portion of the graveyard, but you can't get there, so it was made just to be a background. superb.

and i say it again. it's a big shame that blood doesn't incorporate almost a half of what was supposed to be in it, levels, additional actions for monsters, bloodlust mode, more items, ammo types, etc. big shame. both blood games are cursed... both were supposed to have twice as much than we saw in the final releases. now imagine blood1 on a painkiller engine with the details and graphics and stuff... and all things that were supposed to be. it would own every goddamn fps now.
Dragon-Commando

Post by Dragon-Commando »

I say you should make something that has all the original stuff like ammo types and stuff, you could probably get it from monolith if you asked.
Dragon-Commando

Post by Dragon-Commando »

damn! I just watched the teaser and my god that was cool. I wan't the CD sound track even more now
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

Ahh Gila... you got to this one before me! Your analysis was superb - I couldn't have done it better.
yet! i missed one detail. i just rewatched the trailer today. yes, both avi and quicktime versions suck - small resolution, bad sound... but detail proves for sure - this trailer has pre-final videos edited together...

look closely to the messages. in some moments it won't be displayed in small condensed font we're all used to (i mean phrases like "you picked up tommy gun") but in big fat font (the one you can actually see in retail game when typing a message or a cheat code).

how about that? :)
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

I believe the early shareware versions were like that though, mixed text sizes.
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Nice alpha avatar btw ;)
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Agreed!
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

can someone reupload BOTH versions of the trailer?
i can't access that ftp anymore for some reason!
please help dudes!