XP SP2 Hates Blood 2.

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Cruo
Axe Zombie

XP SP2 Hates Blood 2.

Post by Cruo »

Wow, has anybody tried installing Blood 2 under XP Service Pack 2? I used to be able to install and play Blood 2 on XP, now it won't even install at all. When you stick the CD in you get this message when it tries to autoplay:

"The Win16 Subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DOSX.EXE must be in your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH."

If you Open the CD and doubleclick on SETUP.EXE or AutoRun.exe you get the exact same message. When you double click on PREVIEWS.EXE the dialog box with the demos listed opens, when you click on Launch Demo it will go through the extracting screen and then as soon as that is done the exact same message as above pops up.

If you go into the Game folder and just click on Blood2.exe the actual Launch screen will show, but when you try to do anything you get an MFC error.

Crazy. I know this didn't happen with an XP Pro fresh install with no SP2, this must be a SP2 thing.

Anybody else tried this? Someone else want to try and see if the same thing happens?
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

well i have had that kind of problem but im on sp2 now and blood 2
runs just dandy i can't for the life of me work out why though
:shrug:
Cruo
Axe Zombie

Post by Cruo »

RedFanatic wrote:well i have had that kind of problem but im on sp2 now and blood 2
runs just dandy i can't for the life of me work out why though
:shrug:
Did you install it before you updated to SP2 though? Because I can install it on a fresh install of XP, and then it will most likely run on SP2. No idea if it is just a SP2 problem, I'm just assuming. I think I'll try uninstalling SP2 this weekend and installing Blood 2 again and then reinstalling SP2 to see if it works.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I installed Blood II just fine when I did a reinstall of Windows a few months ago. I installed SP2 directly after Windows and befor I installed anything else. it was installed from the SP2 CD you can order from Microsoft. I don't know if there is a difference between the CD version and the one you can download from windows updates.

I've had other problems with Blood II though, model rendering problems. It's rather annoying. I beleave CheapAlert was having a similar problem.
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

Blood 2 on xp with sp 2 (came as one install) gont work, but Blood does.

Blood on win 2000 not work, but Blood 2 does.

I have the oddest computers ever!!

But i can play two Blood game at the same time :D
hund_
Axe Zombie

Post by hund_ »

right click on setup.exe\properties\compatibilty\compatibilty mode win98-winme.
EmoAddict15
Rat

Post by EmoAddict15 »

try disabling the no execute buffer overflow protection, that breaks some old dos games and such.