New monster ideas for Blood.....

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

New monster ideas for Blood.....

Post by Blood of Nightmares »

Does anybody here have any ideas for new monsters/bosses for Blood?

here's mine

Ghoul: This undead cannablistic monster, usually the the mindless varieties of vampires and zombies, will stop at nothing to eat your flesh (They are usually found in forests,cemetaries,catacombs,ect)

Vampire: This aristocratic undead creature has the power to shape shift into bats,wolves,mist, & rats and has the power to drain your life pretty quickly (usually found in any aristocratic locations like ballrooms, opera houses, mansions, castles, ect)

Mage: Unlike his cultist cousions, he relays on dark magic & sorcery.

Necromancer: He raises Zombies, choking hands, and other undead against you and uses spirit protactiles simialar to the Phantasms. Plus the most frieghting power he has is that he also has the power to rise his fallen comrades....(like the Arch Vile from Doom)

Werewolf: Usually found roaming the country side/forests; this killer machine will rip apart any unwery travlers like you....

any ideas?
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

All the others are ok, but a vampire turning into a wolf? ... not my cup of blood really.
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

Drakan wrote:All the others are ok, but a vampire turning into a wolf? ... not my cup of blood really.
Vampires turning into preditory animals (like wolfs) played a major role old school Vampire folklore and try not to confuse yourself with Anne Rice (who butchered up the Vampire image beyond recognition)
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

mmmmm monster design, im about to head to bed so ill have to contribute to this one later...

im wondering whether i should include in the posts my mini-boss ideas complete with health, damage, armor values with skill settings accounted for and pseudo code on behaviour... though i might keep some of those to myself =)
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

i dont think vampires would be good for blood.

and
cannablistic monster
wtf is that? cannabis + cabal? that's a great word! =)))
oh, i see now... it's cannibalistic..
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Blood of Nightmares wrote:
Drakan wrote:All the others are ok, but a vampire turning into a wolf? ... not my cup of blood really.
Vampires turning into preditory animals (like wolfs) played a major role old school Vampire folklore and try not to confuse yourself with Anne Rice (who butchered up the Vampire image beyond recognition)
Let's get this out of the way first - I have NO idea who Anne Rice is. And maybe thanks to you I'll avoid that crap then. And personally I don't like such imagery, but that's just me. I'm not gonna go attacking it or anyone just because of that. Just stating my thoughts was all. :)

And yeah, pretty much. Vampires in the realm of Blood just wouldn't look right. There's zombies though because obviously... the Cabal MADE them! Hmmmm... enemies.... Maybe some Doom like demons? Not the actual ones - People would cry FOUL on that for good reason - but maybe something like them? Maybe axe wielding goatheads in the nether realms...
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I'm a little suprized that they didn't have any Frankenstein type monsters in Blood. It's not like E4M1 wasn't Frankenstein's lab or anything. They would be great for some kind of electrical attack.
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

I've got a great one a Plauge Warden, during the black death they devised
a mask with incense in an elongated nose to protect people from the
virus because they belived in the measmur it diden't work of course but
it looks really spooky

http://www.insecta-inspecta.com/fleas/b ... s_robe.gif
http://www.maskworld.com/pix/venetian/large/vm69.jpg
http://www.william-shakespeare.info/images/doctor.jpg

they would fire flares at range and if you got too close they would try to
claw you giving you a fire like plague infection for a few seconds.

also a VooDoo man would be good top hat painted face and maybe a machete VooDoo doll for ranged, and as draken says a Demon would be
fun one of the old classic type demons maybe designed from old holy
paintings or even better another type of Gargoyle
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

Fleshian - a small puppet like creature that feeds on dead corpses. He'd hop out of the darkness when you'd slay a creature (fat zombie would be a good choice). That way you'd draw his attention and he'd start feeding on you instead. Or perhaps, he'd pop out of the corpse when you'd slay fat zombie. Not always, naturally, to keep the tension.
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

How about a mage that can raise the souls of dead creatures (except for anything undead) to do his bidding, and the only way to kill them is using the Life Leech and voodoo doll?
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Abattoir Butcher
Basically a Bloated Butcher enhancement, heftier, more powerful swing with his cleaver, lunges in his attack motions so his sluggishness could lure the player into a false sense of security. He may vomit. And when I say vomit, lean forward and let loose of a stream of sick-covered vile rats from his filthy gullet. Pouring out towards you squeaking and squirming. On death he may split open at the butterfly incision in his chest, the flesh peeling away like old paper as a loose liquid splashes out, and spiders pour forth, having composed his internal organs, slowly feasting upon him till then.

Devotee
This is a variant upon the cultist/fanatic/zealot/acolyte. He will look the same as all the others, though perhaps a bit tougher. Fires with the same weapons. However randomly if you corner him, or bring him near death, he will light himself aflame. During this time he can stay alive on fire for multiple minutes even, and takes no damage from flame attacks. On lower skill settings he will attack with the Hellhound's fire, but on higher ones may cast out a short range moving form of the aerosol can's explosion. Would be a nice X factor on Extra Crispy to mix in with a group of other cabal members, as they are only different in behavior.

Revenant
Slow moving wispy ghost, it has no collision detection, it merely roams a general region. It is often completely transparent, though will fade to translucency randomly, or does so while attacking doing spirit damage and with a sudden shrieking sound. Basically the psychological impact of the Phantasm's alert, only with a more random element, keeping the player on their toes... Good for tight passageways where there arent any enemies (or they are spawned by the killing of enemies so the style of threat changes).

Dreaming Shaman
Taller cultists in long robes, their faces are more hidden in shadow due to the deeper hood on the robe. They walk calmly, standing a head above the other cultists, wielding Life Leeches. They utter various prayers in the Cabal language and can heal each other. Often they may set their life leeches down as sentries and back away when taking damage, resorting to a voodoo doll. He may recall the life leech remotely. Takes practically no spirit damage and little fire damage. May drop trapped souls or a voodoo doll.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Frankenstein's Monster would have been nice, yes. Vampires ARE best left out of this. I like the spiders coming from the butcher upgrade. Revenant sounds cool, would like to see that kind of thing.

I honestly think Blood MAY have benefitted from sub-bosses. Although now that I think about it that might have not worked with the game as it is.
Cruo
Axe Zombie

Post by Cruo »

Necrosis wrote:I honestly think Blood MAY have benefitted from sub-bosses. Although now that I think about it that might have not worked with the game as it is.
I always viewed the bosses at the end of each episode as a sub-boss while Tchernobog was the main Boss. Kind of like they were the Generals and Tchernobog was the Commander.

Scar3crow those are very creative ideas, I like them a lot. With creativity like that you could probably come up with some sort of D20 Blood game. I'd be all over that :twisted:
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

sub bosses function as well as the level design in my opinion. sub bosses are more of memorable battles with a semi-unique feature to it.

granted Tchernobog is the main boss, but i consider Cheogh, Shial, and Cerberus to be bosses simply because they conclude an episode, whereas a sub-boss could be used at a key point in a level, namely at a... key. or some such.

Cruo; thanks, though ive never been a fan of pen and paper systems, they are good for fleshing out some designs but feel ackward to me... side note, i would strongly prefer it if you didnt capitalize the nick (the 3 is the capital letter), just ask Kazashi on my responses to that.

Mini-bosses could be easily implemented with anything that adds new monsters to Blood in general as long as the levels are made with them in mind... Mini-bosses also can be an introduction. Cheogh, Shial, and Cerberus all appear later in a form, in Doom E1M8 held Barons of Hell but they appeared later... In Quake e2m6 the Vores appear like a boss in a way just to foreshadow the next episode.
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

Well I kinda see Caleb himself as a Vampire (since he rips out people's/monster's hearts to surivie) mabye except he's lone travler & gunfighter unlike the other Vampires who mostly have characterisitcs of
a movie star & Power Hungry Politicans/Dictators/Rulers that forever desire money,power,virgens,ect which is one of the reasons that Caleb mostly depises Vampires in general. Caleb usual sees Power\Money-Hungry Individuals\Organizations\Religions & The Entire concept of Government as mundane reflections of Tchernobog & the Cabal which makes Caleb clearly a anarchist. Thats the reason that Vampires have a place in the Blood universe because they symbolicly represent as unwilling Pawns of Tchernobog with the same desires.

Now here's boss idea relating to this topic....Do you remeber the Caslte level from Crypic Passage? Well what if you that same or simialar level that if you walk in to the Castle, you find a horde of Well-Dressed High Class (ballroom fashon) Vampires (and the original monster cast to back them up) pouring right at you & have to fight your way to the Throne Room untill you reach the Undead Count/King/ect himself who is Chosen like you but he's still on Tchernobog's side which leaves you no choice but to "put him down"....