Problems with Blood.....

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

Problems with Blood.....

Post by Blood of Nightmares »

I'm rather having seriouis problems with Blood

1. Can't start with VDMS sound because of conflicting/invalid IRQ (but the game runs normally without VDMS sound but with only with horrid frame rate/choppy sound, and screen resolution as spoken below)

2. My screen resouloution cannot go higher than 320 x 200 (running with other screen resolutions crashes to the desktop with a Inactive setup)

3. Although this may sound stupid but it also seems to be impossible for getting the choking hands off my neck! (pressed the space bar as quickly as I can but I still can't get them off. )
Cruo
Axe Zombie

Re: Problems with Blood.....

Post by Cruo »

Blood of Nightmares wrote:I'm rather having seriouis problems with Blood

1. Can't start with VDMS sound because of conflicting/invalid IRQ (but the game runs normally without VDMS sound but with only with horrid frame rate/choppy sound, and screen resolution as spoken below)

2. My screen resouloution cannot go higher than 320 x 200 (running with other screen resolutions crashes to the desktop with a Inactive setup)

3. Although this may sound stupid but it also seems to be impossible for getting the choking hands off my neck! (pressed the space bar as quickly as I can but I still can't get them off. )
I can help with #3. Trick is to kill them before they start choking you :evillaugh:

I'll leave the rest to Cruaich. :ninja:
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Me? err umm...

#1 I don't like using VDMS, I find that it lags Blood to the point it is unplayable. So some one else will have to answer that.

#2 XP does limit your DOS rezolution. Fortunalty there is a patch that will fix this.

http://cruaich.deathmask.net/blood/video_patches.zip

It contains the files nolfb.zip, winvgafx and some instructions on how to apply them to Windows and Blood.

#3 If your running 1.11 the hand is really hard to knock off. My advice, get a drill and a lopsided fly wheel, hold it above your space bar and let it rip. You may have to replace a few keyboards untill you prefect this method but in the end it will be well worth the effort.. that or upgrade to 1.21, the hand is alot easier to knock off in that version.

Hope that helps.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

#3 to get hands off you hit the "use" key repeatedly. If use is spacebar then that should do it, but if you changed use to somethineg else like "E" then hit that.
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

this may help
viewtopic.php?t=642
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

RedFanatic wrote:this may help
viewtopic.php?t=642

I seem to get this problem try to open Blood with VDMS or type "Nolfb" at the
command line

"src\sound.cpp<516>: Playback failed, possibly due to invalid or conflicting IRQ."

I get this when everytime when I drag CLI2NOP.exe to Blood.exe

"Blood.INI does not exist Please Reinstall"

I get this when I drag the NOLFB exe to Blood.exe

"GRP file Not found"

I might be screwed.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I don't think you're supposed to be dragging them...

As for BLOOD.INI, I can send mine to you if you don't have one or something. Just trying to pitch in what I can.
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

Necrosis wrote:I don't think you're supposed to be dragging them...

As for BLOOD.INI, I can send mine to you if you don't have one or something. Just trying to pitch in what I can.
Go right ahead
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I'll PM it to you. Await its arrival.
Jethro
Fanatic

Post by Jethro »

To patch blood with cli2nop you should use command prompt and follow BuildXP guide, step 7. If you don't like DOS then my sugestion is to:
1) right click on cli2nop in Windows Explorer and select "Create shortcut"
2) right click on created shortcut and select "Preferences"
3) go to panel named "shortcut". there you should have field called something like "target element" (my guesswork, I've got polish version) in which you should have full path to cli2nop (c:\BLOOD\CLI2NOP.exe or something similar). Now, add "-p %1" at end of it (you should have "c:\BLOOD\CLI2NOP.exe -p %1" in this field).
4) Now, drag Blood.exe on newly created shortcut and that's it, you've patched Blood
but remember that if the game didn't crashed your computer in previous attempts than probably it is already patched (or, as far as I remember, VDMSound has build-in CLI workaround). And for IRQ problems: if you're useing BuildXP shortcuts edit it so that it points to your Blood setup, change all IRQ's, properly and make it point to blood.exe again. Sound should work now.

Ah, and for noflb: this simple program should be executed before blood, if you're useing BuildXP shortcut than idt does, if no create text file, rename it to something like aaa.bat and fill it with following:

Code: Select all

dosdrv
nolfb
blood
[/code]
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

Um I just did everything you told me to do and everytime I drag blood.exe to
CLI2NOT.exe the dos screen just flashs and quickly dissapears

as for IRQ here what I have (incording to the setup settings)

Current Sound FX Card <Sound Blaster>
Current Music Card <General Midi>
Sound FX Volume [256]
Music Volume [256]
Current Address [0x220]
Current Type < Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 >
Current Interrupt [5]
Current 8-bit DMA [1]
Current 16-bit DMA [5]
8 Voices
11 Khz

Music

General Midi
Midi Port: 0 X 330
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

If youre dragging within a Windows gui of it then it will only display the command prompt for as long as it is calculating something (hence the flash, it only takes it a half second to complete its function). If you want to see the text it displays then do Run > cmd then navigate to your Blood folder and do cli2not whatever command line may go here, blood.exe

I dont recall the exact process, I just followed http://buildxp.deathmask.net (that should be the url, its at deathmask regardless) and followed Willis' instructions on the IRQs and whatnot. the only complication came from my end in terms of the fact that I use an NVidia and that called for an additional patch in order to make use of VESA.
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

Okay I got blood.exe & Crypic to work but how can I get Carnage.vlp?
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

No idea on Carnage, nor on the crashing in general. I used Willis' pif files for that.

However Cryptic Passage is strange for me, it starts out running fine but then quickly slows down. If I alt tab out and then return its back to normal, but then quickly slows down again... About 1/8th the game speed. Curiously enough the framerate itself remains constant, but the game processes slower... But Cryptic Passage DOES load for me, its just running in a frooky bullet time. Shame, I miss the steam boat level (I think thats in it... been so long since Ive played CP).
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

Alright I have solved the Carnage problem (by dragging nocuts.bat to Crypic) but here's one last problem.....How do I get the textures working right? (the textures are all f*** up currently)