What makes Blood the best game in the world ?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Which feature makes Blood the best game in the world ?

Creative and balanced weaponary
No votes
Unique and interesting monsters
No votes
Intelligent level design
5%
Unparalleled atmosphere
26%
Realistic and detailed textures
No votes
Incredible sound effects
No votes
Excellent gameplay
No votes
A cult following that will never die
No votes
The fact that the game still rocks after being out for 7 years
No votes
All of the above
68%

Total votes: 19
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

What makes Blood the best game in the world ?

Post by Daedalus »

Greetings! Please select which feature of Blood's you think counts the most towards Blood being the best game in the world.

For those of you that don't think it's the best game in the world, get out of here! Just kidding :wink:

Edit : Incorrect wording
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Actuly the textures are a little cartoony, but they all fit in the atmosphere that's presented so well they seem real; in the living breathing sence of the word. You can have picture perfect textures it a game but on a whole the game will seam dead because it's entirely to static.

Post by Guest »

somehow the poll didn't worked for me (i get straight to results with no chance to vote)... but I vote for "all the above"! I can't just take SOMETHING from blood. well, maps design is... i didn't said it! everything is FANTASTIC!!!:)
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Guests can't vote, sorry. :cry:

Unparalleled atmosphere of course!
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

The whole thing... :)
-ED
Cabal member

Post by -ED »

Ah! Now I get it! That was me "guest"! Err. Then it is a bug anyway! I log in automatically, I alreay written some posts, I even went into Cabal forum which is restricted, and then one particular page didn't work out. Naturally i didn't noticed I was a "guest" half the way through!
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

my thoughts:

creative and balanced weaponary - pretty much true, everything kills great. except a few weaker weapons that require more skill use than akimbo'ed napalm laucher. check.

unique and interesting monsters - only unique monsters (i mean really unique) are hands, and that's probably it, everything else was in earlier games - gargoyles in heretic, zombies in doom/quake, dogs in quake, etc. maybe cultists. on the other hand, the monsters are cute and scary and cheesy and funny and unique in the way they're drawn. with style. in short, they are unique, but not that unique. :)

intelligent level design - check here, for the most part, levels designed really great. especially the 1st episode, and the bloodbath ones. from the 2nd to 5th single player episodes the design goes downhill, the levels have less detail, more bugs in them, etc, etc. the plasma episode wasn't considered to be a great thing of addon because the levels seemed bland than even original 4 episodes. that's because most of plasma levels originate from the alpha days of blood.

unparalleled atmosphere - very true.

realistic and detailed textures - not so great actually, but the palette and overall coloring fit the atmosphere. the most detailed textures of the build games are in redneck rampage series, especially in 'rides again'. (not even crappy tekwar)

incredible sound effects - oh very very true! and the voice, the screams!

excellent gameplay - check.

the reason blood rocks... is... the hero, well, to be exact - an anti-hero, the main character that doesn't give a f*** about anything. every person is egoist, some more, some less, but this game seemed appealing for everyone. plus the atmosphere, the killing in style, the levels in style, the weapons in style, almost everything. but nothing is perfect, even blood still after many patches has alot of flaws.

so i say... all of the above then.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Thanks for your detailed analysis, Gila! I expected it.

All of what you said was true. But nothing is perfect I would say. Blood is pretty damn close.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

One thing I think is really lacking from that list is the multiplayer experience, more specifically the coop mode. This game just has the most amazing coop mode. It almost seems like the levels were designed specifically for coop sometimes. There's just nothing like slaying your way through a train full of cultists with one or two other Calebs.
:twisted:
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

You are right, of course, Weezle.

But wouldn't that go under gameplay? :)
Fiend:Kamikaze
A LUMBERJACK!

Post by Fiend:Kamikaze »

All of the above.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Ditto.
SIN
Rat

Post by SIN »

Well frankly this is a game that was second to none at its time. The huge following has contributed to its label as a kick-ass game. And the fact that Caleb rocks!!!!
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Well, I would have to say all of the above. BLOOD is possibly one of the greatest games ever made.

Even to this day I play it religiously, today I started with Far Cry, then to BLOOD, then to Doom 3... back to BLOOD... Painkiller... BLOOD... Cryptic Passage. :twisted:

For me no game has ever came close to the experience and feeling that BLOOD gives you. You can ask almost anyone at the 3DRealms forums... BLOOD is my main game.
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

although I voted for level design because the levels in blood are really
amazing compared to the wiggly A to B tunnels of other games

the main reason in my opinion for blood being the greatest game ever
is that the game designers really loved it, it has a sort of energy and magic (sorry to get all hippie on you guys) but I don't think there's one
of us who at one point hasn't wanted to write a story about Caleb or
make a sequel or film or something and that's because it's been so well
made and thought out.

plus blasting the giblets out of thousands of squishy beasts of hell with devilishly twisted weaponry is always fun :twisted: