Blood Addon: The Carnage Continues

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Rogue Martyr
Rat

Post by Rogue Martyr »

Cheers for the reply buddy! :)

Well i use the excellent Buildxp setup that i believe recommends VESA 640x480 which is what i use...

so ur saying its a monitor thing and i should try 320x200??

hmm, maybe theres some tweaking i could do in windows that would help...
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Yes, it sounds like you have to change your monitor's refresh rate. Good luck! :)
-Slink
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

Yep, this aint working

Would i need to no2clip (or whatever its called) the new stuff?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Well, I've finally finished the first episode "How it began" (yes, without cheating). Unfortunatly nowhere in the first episode did it play the cut scenes.

I tried running your nocuts.bat file... nothing.
I tried running your .smk files with the RAD Video Tools on their own and I get the SmackPlay Error: "Error Opening File cs1.smk"
so.. ummm... WTF?

My Blood Box
Pentium I - 233 MHz
128 RAM
Permedia II 3D video card
Soundblaster 16 (ISA)
Windows 98 SE
Blood 1.21 - One Unit Whole Blood
jimr416
Rat

Post by jimr416 »

I've been looking for about 5 hours now for the second key on the first map, I'm so embarassed. And getting kind of p*** off. This enterainment is well worth the money! I could say a few more things, but I don't want to spoil anything.

P4 - 2.0gig
ATI AIWonder
98SE
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

Im really annoyyed that this doesnt work now :(
Harry

Post by Harry »

Unfortunately, we used Blood 1.20 as the base and don't know about compatibility with the One whole Unit version. You may get the original version here,

meineseite.i-one.at/jt68023/1997.htm *

Get the patches from monolith's site or from the links mentioned in the readme.

jim, are you talking about the key behind the cracked wall? Just bring the cart containing the TNT barrel to the crack and use the flame trap on the barrel. To do this, make the cart behind it, knock into the cart with the TNT barrel, thus moving it. How to do that, I'm sure you'll figure out...

*Cruaich edit: No direct warez links.
jimr416
Rat

Post by jimr416 »

Hi Harry. I haven't seen any cart or tnt barrel. I'm talking about the key for the door by the tree outside by the train where there is no lightning.

Thanks, Jim
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Harry: I already have original Blood 1.0 that I can patch up to 1.20 thanks. Why in the world did you use the 3Dfx version of Blood? It just seems a little obscure is all.

jimr416: Did you look above the office doors? Across the street from the train.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Well, at the time, I had a 3DFX Voodoo-3 and Blood looked pretty nice in v1.20. I've also tried it under 1.11 and it seems to work. However, the one whole unit, as you know, changes a lot of the structure. I'm happy to hear that you got through w/o cheating which means you got the fll experience as intended. So, any impressions to share?

Jim, you'll need to use a switch on the desk (the room with the fan) to open a door to the room upstairs (near the lift from where you came). Go to that room and try to switch on the lights. Something will terribly go wrong (with the rain and all). Wait for a while and you should get the key. Atleast, that's how I remember it.....

Hmmm..I may be wrong about the key behind the crack..there should be a pipe pressure control instead. Now, you probably noticed that a vent above the office (ladder access) is blocked by pipes. We need to burst those pipes. Do the cart sequence and fiddle with the pressure switch....
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Alright,

The Carnage continues
Episode I:
How it began
Impressions: How it Began Drops Caleb into a more modern setting, where he no longer caries his pitchfork, but can deal one hell of a punch. I get the feeling this mod takes place some time during the 60’s or 70’s, it could very well be modern day, but hell, I like to be delusional at times and the 70’s always had those kickass action flicks. There are some rather nice environment design elements to these user maps, the rain and lighting of level one are very cool, as is the eruption out of mine shaft in map3. The new later and spring pad game mechanics were nice and used effectively. I like how you’ve had some of the phantasms rise up out of the floor when you come up to them, it makes a creepy enemy even creepier.

Some downers I’ve had playing the maps; these are mostly design element theories that I don’t agree with. Although there are some very nice and interesting rooms in the maps, they can be dwarfed and muted by some very large open areas where the shear size can get the player (or at least me) lost as to where to go next. This is especially troublesome when you use a switch to trigger an event clear on the other end of the map. It does help when you leave a trail of baddies that draw you where you need to go, but I don’t really like the “push switch” = “spawn monster” equation in general. I will give you credit that I think that particular equation was used effectively in the first map (theoretically as you are forced to go through the map the second time, they would have had time to regroup)

In the third map, the little underwater grotto (near the cabins) looks like it still needs work. It’s just that patch of untextured ceiling at the top of the stairs, I think you had something planned there but never finished it up.

All in all, among “finished” episodes, I’d rate “How it began” a good B; I’ll reserve final review when I finish the other two episodes.
Plus points: Game mechanics/weapons mods.
Negative points: Over all ganormous/vague level design & technical issues with the cut scenes.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Well...
I got home and did a fresh install of Blood 1.0 and patched that to 1.20.
I downloaded carnage.zip agian just to be sure I had all the files.
I copied the saved games over from 1.21 but found that they are incompatable with 1.20 so I started a new game.

There was no cutseen at the start, so I just clipped through the maps untill I got to the end of level 4 where you come up behind the blue cultist. After ending the level I was greeted with the Blood end credits.

Am I missing anything? I'm still not getting any cut scenes.

Post by Guest »

I tried cutscenes on several machines and they worked. It would be good to get feedback from others using the Win-98/v1.20 combo.

Do Gods cutscenes etc work as well? Have you tried nocuts.bat on your new copy of Blood?

Let me try on some more machines and see if I can fix this..
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Yes, I tried the nocuts.bat file, no luck there. I am highly suspecious of the carnage.zip fila itself. Perhaps it has become corupt somewhere along the way and when carnage.com unpacks the game files it unpacks bad .smk files. They wont play with the RAD video tools.

Edit: and yes, the Gods cut scenes worked when I played that addon, though it's not been with the current windows/blood instalation.
Last edited by DustyStyx on Wed Jan 18, 2006 04:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Cruaich wrote:Alright,

The Carnage continues
Episode I:
How it began
Impressions: How it Began Drops Caleb into a more modern setting, where he no longer caries his pitchfork, but can deal one hell of a punch.
When I play it I get the normal pitchfork, is it supposed to be different?

The cutscenes only played the first time for me and when they did the screen was split up in four places, its hard to explain, but I have experenced this problem before in Blood but I can't remeber when or why.

I like the ladders in this map pack I didn't know that was possible with Blood.