A Bloody good Doom map

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

A Bloody good Doom map

Post by scar3crow »

Well, it is Blood related...

The City of the Damned

Its a single player ZDoom map for Doom2, using Blood textures to wonderful effect. No Blood monsters or music, but the textures are very well done, and the music is new and very fitting. I thought this might appeal to some of you partially cause Tormentor is known for rather difficult maps. He also makes good use of ZDoom so amidst all the beautiful texturing and detail work, you will find altered forms of Doom monsters along with ambient sounds.

Very very fun. I think the 2 games match well together sometimes.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

well, well, well! that's some great stuff!
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Hey Scar! welcome back,

I thought zDoom had better collor support than that. The Doom pallet isnt very kind to Blood textures.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

I can't believe how people are still occupied with a game like Doom when games like Blood and Quake have been around for years. I mean, you can't even jump in Doom. :S
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Yeah well, people still play Wolfenstien 3D even though that's older and more primitive than Doom. What's wrong with that anyway???And let's not forget some people are STILL PLAYING PAC MAN AND ASTEROIDS TO THIS VERY DAY!!!! Including me. Even though I wasn't around when they were born.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

They put jump in some of the new Doom builds. They actualy have a farily good 3D look up/down view space, ie. solid 3D rendering vs. Build's bendy view. It's fun to just "blast'em!"

We actualy thought about using the Doom engine for Transfusion for a little bit. But at the time the Doom builds didn't have underwater options or adequate room-over-room featuers.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Drakan wrote:some people are STILL PLAYING PAC MAN
Pac-Man - it's an awesome game!
I remember playing it on my Atari 65XE back in the eighties.
Those were great times.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I played lots of Pac-man. I played all Pac-man, Ms. Pac-man, Pac-man Jr., Super Pac-man, and those Pac-man worlds games all the time. If we went to any place that had a Pac-man game I'd play it. Fun fact time: They were originally going to call the game "Puck-man," but then they considered what the graffiti would be. *hopes he isn't repeating common knowledge*
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

I can't believe how people are still occupied with a game like Doom when games like Blood and Quake have been around for years. I mean, you can't even jump in Doom. :S
Doom has possibly the most vibrant of communities right now, what with the wide variety of unique source ports, and now a truely online multiplayer scene, as well as a whole new set of tools for mappers and true scripting engines coming to maturation - the Doom scene should logically be even bigger now then it was ever before.

At this point I would daresay, ZDoom is a more powerful engine then Build, short of maybe say, Voxel support. But it is just as capable, while its mouselook is actually a true one, not just stretching the view. Im not saying Doom is better then Blood (when you get to that point theres no way to compare) but it offers its own unique monster set and pacing and mood along with a suddenly robust smorgasbord of features (such as individually specifically scripted monsters - there is something frightening about stalking a store room, only then realising that it is actually filled with imps in the shadows, whos only attack is a more devastating claw attack, and they only become semi-visible during that state... its like fighting ghosts).

Im not saying Doom is better then Blood or vice versa, both of them offer awesome core gameplay with the 2 best monster sets ever seen in FPSs. BTW the jumping thing is a moot issue, you can enable it, or mod the source to make it more potent of a jump if you want, but most Doomers dont feel that it... feels right, in the game. Kinda like crouching in Quake.

Hi Cruaich, thanks. Ive been feeling to be in a particularly Bloody mood as of late... Need to sate that!
Drakan

Necv Xouhkot

Post by Drakan »

Holy f***! You mean they still play Doom online these days!? i mean... I knew Doom was still popular (f*** love it to death!), but I didn't realize people still duke it out online! Hell yeah! Where's this all happening online man? You HAVE to tell me!

For god knows how long, I've wanted to play Doom online for a f*** long time! I nearly did once too. But hey... got to try it with bots. Fun stuff, even with the original vanilla mode, :D

scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

I wouldnt know where nowadays cause I havent played any of the TCP/IP ports in forever... the original was CSDoom aka ClientServer Doom

Im pretty sure ZDoom supports some actual internet gameplay now as well, as it does have the team based game Skulltag.

But I made this thread to alert people to City of the Damned, which though it is not Blood, it still has a wonderful atmosphere very close to it (and being as how its a ZDoom map, you get bullet/blood decals and scorch marks).
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Drakan wrote:Holy f***! You mean they still play Doom online these days!? i mean... I knew Doom was still popular (f*** love it to death!), but I didn't realize people still duke it out online! Hell yeah! Where's this all happening online man? You HAVE to tell me!

For god knows how long, I've wanted to play Doom online for a f*** long time! I nearly did once too. But hey... got to try it with bots. Fun stuff, even with the original vanilla mode, :D

Venture out of your cave and check out ZDaemon!
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Ah, ZDaemon. I remember having that a little while back. Got deleted. But I suppose I shall start playing, if Necrosis is taken, I'll let you all know of my username.

Added: Nope, Necrosis was available. Expect much fragging.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Hah. Odd that you should pick on Doom while defending Blood, da_Weezle. I mean, Doom may have a fanbase too. It's a great game, even though Blood has better characters/sound quality/sounds/atmosphere/textures/'physics'/weaponary/visual appearance/monsters ... yeah, Blood only has that up on Doom.

Doom has a very 'dark' nature to it that Blood doesn't carry. Doom rocks. :twisted:
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Ðædalu§ Ðeathmask wrote:Doom rocks. :twisted:
Of course! Doom was great.