WinBlood updated

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Thanks for pointing that out.

And yes, we are civilized enough to not use the word. At least not in any serious way.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Yes. We're civilised here.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I only use that word on the truly deserving. Like how when I'll be playing ZDaemon with my clanmates and so that the ones that aren't there already can simply jump in we don't put a password on it and some peoples decide it'll be fun to go in there, slaughter us all mercilessly and not leave. Gah... The temptation to use that word then is too great.
sirlemonhead
Cultist

Post by sirlemonhead »

Darkest Star wrote:
Rebooter wrote:I haven't been able to get to the WinBlood site for a long time, does anyone know for sure if the project is dead or not?
Looks like the project is dead. :(
We'll let you know if it's dead or not :wink:
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

god damn right
scirmast
Cultist

Post by scirmast »

Necrosis wrote:I only use that word on the truly deserving. Like how when I'll be playing ZDaemon with my clanmates and so that the ones that aren't there already can simply jump in we don't put a password on it and some peoples decide it'll be fun to go in there, slaughter us all mercilessly and not leave. Gah... The temptation to use that word then is too great.
Ahh, ZDaemon :) Great game.
Rebooter
Rat

Post by Rebooter »

sirlemonhead wrote:
Darkest Star wrote:
Rebooter wrote:I haven't been able to get to the WinBlood site for a long time, does anyone know for sure if the project is dead or not?
Looks like the project is dead. :(
We'll let you know if it's dead or not :wink:
Just wondering if we are thinking about the same project. There used to be a forum for it here:

http://blood32.sourceforge.net/phpbb2/

This was a project to recreate blood using the Build Engine source for Win32. There were a couple of very rough pre-alpha test releases, then it seems to have disappeared.
Devon_Rex

f*** atari !!

Post by Devon_Rex »

can they just release the f*** source !!!

its almost like its lost or something....

Atari sucks big time !!
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

Plus, Atari is dying. I wouldnt be surprised if it goes out of business the next year. Atari never recovered from the financial crash in 1982. Most of it is Atari's fault, releasing horrible games. Seriously, Atari became a legend of all the wrong reasons. The management was clumsy and hyped, and the entire generation of americans started nostalgicly fantasizing that Atari sold not just the games, but dreams made out of electrons and s***. Wearing an Atari shirt doesn't make you cool. Infogrames bought them in 2001., and started publishing games under the name Atari - and the very next year, Atari fell into more financial problems. What a surprise: s*** games like Deer Hunter 2004, Driv3r, Boiling Point and a huuuge list of upcoming games (Dragon Ball??), I mean, what's to expect? Adios Atari!

Which is probably very bad for us, cos with the problems they're having, I don't think they give a f*** about Blood. The only good game they have the rights for!
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Boiling Point sucked? I heard it was actually pretty good. But while we can always hope I don't think the Blood source will ever be released. Although on the upside the copyrights do need to be renewed right? If they don't renew them, Blood becomes no one's property, and hopefully a competent company can pick it up from there.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

i hope atari dies and would have to sell all the game property off with low low prices.

monolith could buy the rights back, release source and make blood 3, why not.

/yea dream on/
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Actually that seems possible if not likely. :D
frightfan
Caleb's Bootlicker

Post by frightfan »

Gila wrote:i hope atari dies and would have to sell all the game property off with low low prices.

monolith could buy the rights back, release source and make blood 3, why not.

/yea dream on/
Blood 3 can be made without Atari's permission actually. While the distribution agreement with GT/Infogrames/Atari forbids public release of the (Blood-specific) source code, this does not affect Monolith Productions' ownership of Blood as an intellectual property.

In other words: Monolith can revive the Blood franchise anytime they choose.
But would they?

A Brief History of BLOOD! 8)

Unleashed to mucho fanfare in 1997, Monolith Productions' "Blood" was quick to gain cult status. Sales though, however respectable, were most certainly hurt by the infinite superiority of the already released (and truly 3D!!) Quake.

Jason Hall and the gang tried again with "Blood II: The Chosen", but the game was a miserable half-done failure thanks to an iron-clad deadline agreement with notoriously difficult (and now defunct) publisher GT Interactive. Instead of releasing it "when it's done", the developer was basically forced into handing over an incomplete product. One could argue that Monolith should have trimmed their lofty ambitions for the sequel, or even just worked harder to meet the deadline with a quality product. It doesn't really matter though, because "Blood II: The Chosen" is what it is: a disappointment. The semi-obligatory expansion pack "Blood II: The Nightmare Levels" received an equally cool response from gamers, so another sequel is a little unlikely.

But... In an interview with HomeLanFed.com (no longer operating) Jason Hall did in fact give indication that HE would like to go back to "Blood" and do it over again with a modern graphics/physics engine, much like id Software has successfully done with their "DooM" franchise. His comments are quoted here.
Last edited by frightfan on Tue Sep 20, 2005 04:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

yeah, i'm well aware of all that.

they should get back the rights though.

just because it's THEIRS.
frightfan
Caleb's Bootlicker

Post by frightfan »

Gila wrote:yeah, i'm well aware of all that. They should get back the rights though.
You mean the rights to release the Blood-specific source code?