About BLOOD with Jace Hall: "Blood - Should It Live Again?"

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

BEAST
Zealot

Re: About BLOOD with Jace Hall: "Blood - Should It Live Agai

Post by BEAST »

N0t_mINe wrote:That's a nice bit of artwork BEAST. I have to ask though, what were those monsters doing before Caleb walked in on them?
Thanks, N0t_mINe! I'd like to think that those monsters were waiting for Caleb before he arrived. Before he came, they probably were just hanging, joking, talking about the stock market, having weird competitions and bets.
N0t_mINe wrote:A better question brought up by that art, how scary should blood3 be?
That's a good question. For some time, I've envisioned Blood 3 as being a little bit nightmare inducing scary, and yet at the same time being hilarious, fast-paced, action-packed, and bloody. This pic manifests a little bit how I visualize Blood 3. I wanted to see Caleb being put into a situation out of a really creepy 70s-80s horror film, where he's alone in a dark house, and is forced to fight off the critters of the night.
neznam
Rat

Post by neznam »

N0t_mINe wrote:So nobody wants to take a crack at the message being telegraphed?
There are 3 faces in the room, one is darh vader, the 'father' of luke skywalker
To the left is Nick N, the 'father' of Blood. On the screen is aclassic Blood logo/load screen, which in turn is being
run off an atari console. So they're talking up Blood3.
Perhaps the Atari 2600 in front of the Blood screen implies that some sort of deal is being discussed or worked out with Atari (the owners of the Blood IP)? "Discussing secrets" certainly implies something's up. "You do the math" definitely feels like it's teasing something, especially in the wake of Hall's recent talk about rebooting Blood with the help of a fundraiser.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

It's pretty obvious that they're hard at work to get a new Blood up and going. They need to come here and talk to us about what it needs to have in it. We'll steer them in the right direction. :gargoyle:

I'd love a new story that takes place after Blood 2. Something new but still grounded in the Blood mythos. And something that involves all 4 Chosen. Rebooting the game would be good but I think a reboot would never be as well received even if it's just as good or better then the old one. For example Doom 2016.

So a new story that reintroduces each character through the use of background story maps that let you see how they got involved with all this fun would be enough. Basically skip over part 2 since nobody likes it anyways and move on while still giving the old school fans a glimpse at what old Blood would look like with modern day graphics but not basing the entire game in that setting because of the old school fans. This would help newcomers learn something about the crew and not bore them with pitchforks. Seriously the weapons in Blood were the most balanced weapons ever but they were pretty stale to me.

Blood needs a both grounded and way out there arsenal like Blood 2. If it was set in the olden times then have more dark magic infused weapons to liven it up a bit.

And coop would be awesome. 4 players playing all 4 chosen with their own set of capabilities would be epic. Not something mandatory like L4D but something that would be possible and fun if wanted.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

It's great to see people getting into the spirit although it's true that most of us here are repeating things we've said and even forgotten about. Several robust Blood3 threads can be found scattered about the internet, all of them replete with good ideas. Still it benefits the hypothetical 'designers' to see the passion of others as they slug away at what can only be called drudge work. So if you've got any soliloquys, artworks, rants, notions, music, fanfic, musings or other bloodnerd minutae you've been holding back for fear of being labeled, nows the time to let loose. :D
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

Don't forget, BLOOD is creepy but i think, BLOOD (1) is very funny too ! Death animations, voices and a lot of stuff are hilarous, when a cultist burn, when a zombie lost his head, when a dead body (after an explosion) jump into the air, fall horizontaly and then "explode" with no reason, it's so cool and fun !

BLOOD is very creepy but i like how it's mixed with a comical way (even if it's a little!), maybe, it's me who is weird but i think, a lot of things are different and are well mixed in BLOOD :D
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Yes Manhs...

Humor

is critical to blood. Think about that for a moment. Is humor harder to pull off in strict 3d games? How did DF compare to DN3d as far as one liners? And Team Fortress 2, was stylized to the point of being cartoonish. Does anyone think that worked for tf2? So much more pacing to do.

Here's a new map from thechosenone, No permssion was given to me to post this, I'm hoping the level designer won't mind.

EDIT: Gramma drama.
Last edited by N0t_mINe on Mon Jul 25, 2016 02:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

Ah yes, humor! (thx)
I mean, if they keep the same humor type than BLOOD 1 (even if it's not a big thing in the game), it could be cool.
I think, it's because i have played some fan expansions where the humor was more important than in the original game!
Like one when a train crush a lot of cultists because they run at you ^^

What about the reference to some movies? Like Shining with the frozen guy?
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

Is humor harder to pull off in strict 3d games? How did DF compare to DN3d as far as one liners?
DNF seemed just plain stupid and bad. Because it's no longer 1996 and people and times have changed.
People who played DN3D grew up. Also DN3D had better balance without going over the top and being too cheesy.
Not to mention that other games did "oldschool" way better than DNF.

The map in the video looks great.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Gila wrote:
Is humor harder to pull off in strict 3d games? How did DF compare to DN3d as far as one liners?
DNF seemed just plain stupid and bad. Because it's no longer 1996 and people and times have changed.
People who played DN3D grew up. Also DN3D had better balance without going over the top and being too cheesy.
Not to mention that other games did "oldschool" way better than DNF."
And here in lies my greatest concern; that a few ham-handed jokes might destroy a budding funkiness and lead to all out hookiness. The Blood2 nightmares scenario must be avoided at all cost. "Out, out, damned spot!"
Is funny if you get it, a bit mysterious if you don't. The worst thing that can be done is to add a rim shot to it. It's okay if player doesn't get every joke. What's bad is going through, adding laughter as a cue (Caleb laughs after his jokes in b2). A rim shot in any form is a cue not to laugh. But that's just me.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I don't know if any of you are watching the "Preacher" series on AMC but they capture almost exactly what I envision Caleb and Blood 3 to be with the character "Saint of Killers". If you've seen the show the town of Ratwater is the perfect Blood 3 setting. You can check out the show or the comic (the show is a better comparison IMO) as the Saint of Killers seems to fit Caleb perfectly.

(YouTube links don't seem to work so just click)

This shows his story in the show thus far, This is EXACTLY what Blood 3 should look like NSFW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WupCfstOdNU

In the comic he looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omIgF2nlpZU
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Damn timeout blew up a 30 min. post.

@ILA That looks incredibly interesting, wish to hell there was more youtubes to preview.

@Manhs is a -The Shining- reference manditory?

Blood Feast - Face Fate(1987): http://youtu.be/74IyM-NQGxg

Sorry for not enbedding, I don't want to risk another timeout.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Here is his backstory on the show in full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi3swdemQAM

Again, some of it is NSFW.

Still cant get YouTube to embed.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Looking at purchasing the first season ILA, That second link was the clincher.

:D
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

N0t_mINe wrote:Looking at purchasing the first season ILA, That second link was the clincher.

:D
Good Deal! Just remember that his story is a sub plot. The main story is about the Preacher. But it is a great show.
neznam
Rat

Post by neznam »

If Blood's to ever see a sequel, there's no way it's going to be a triple-A game. Doom and Duke got their triple-A reboots/sequels because they were popular enough in the day to remain at least somewhat recognizable up til now. Blood doesn't have that fortune. I can't really say I see any big publisher picking up the rights to Blood, the nostalgia factor is just too small. If you want to know what a commercial Blood reboot/sequel would look like, think ROTT 2013, or at best the new Shadow Warrior. Personally I'd like to see Blood's sequel done in the Build engine ala Bombshell prequel, digitised clay-figures and all. I'd like to see a bit more of the Hexen-type vibe Blood Alpha had, I enjoyed the whole ivy-covered medieval fortress/castle motif. The music was a bit more to my liking too. I'd really hope that they'd abandon any sort of uninspired and stale Blood II-ish futuristic theme. I think a conventional rustic countryside/rural atmosphere would really be the way to go. I don't think Blood stylistically works in Duke 3D-type urban levels like The Ghost Town or Welcome to Your Life. It just looks odd to me, I feel like the visual and artistic style of the weapons and enemies just don't go well with the checker-tiled floors and modern light switches.