About BLOOD with Jace Hall: "Blood - Should It Live Again?"

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

VGames
Acolyte

Re: About BLOOD with Jace Hall: "Blood - Should It Live Agai

Post by VGames »

I think if there was a third Blood I'd want it to look very realistic. I think that would suit the horror aspect of the game. Both of the previous installments looked very good for their time so I would expect the next one to look amazing in whatever time period it's made.
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

N0t_mINe : Sorry, it's because i waited so much new games for old series, in the past, i was always disappointed and sad... it's why i say that :s

VGames, what do you mean by realistic ? This word scares me in FPS, we need some realistic stuff but nowadays, they use "realistic stuff to limit the physic of the game, but if you mean stuff like awesome cutscene, story or graphism nextgen, it could be awesome.....beside a release of the sourcecode.

Also, Peter Freese (who posted the pic) have liked a message from a guy who said "THERE WILL BE BLOOD", hehe :D

Too much "teasing" , i will stop there for now :banghead: :lol:
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

realistic means less fun, at least for my taste.

in old 90s shooters you can run fast, switch weapons fast, jump around, and do all sorts of neat stuff.

in most of the modern shooters you are on set path from cutscene to cutscene, you barely run, carry only 2 weapons that takes too long to switch around, you can barely jump over 20 cm ledges, weaaaaaaak

realistic looks, i mean *too* realistic is also harmful to this types of games in my opinion.

what it definitely *should* have is style.
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

VGames wrote:I think if there was a third Blood I'd want it to look very realistic. I think that would suit the horror aspect of the game. Both of the previous installments looked very good for their time so I would expect the next one to look amazing in whatever time period it's made.
Gila wrote:realistic means less fun, at least for my taste.

in old 90s shooters you can run fast, switch weapons fast, jump around, and do all sorts of neat stuff.

in most of the modern shooters you are on set path from cutscene to cutscene, you barely run, carry only 2 weapons that takes too long to switch around, you can barely jump over 20 cm ledges, weaaaaaaak

realistic looks, i mean *too* realistic is also harmful to this types of games in my opinion.

what it definitely *should* have is style.
It depends on what you mean by realistic. In my mind, games which attempt to feel realistic are really just applying verisimilitude to a game, rather than making the game completely accurate to life. The only claim to realism which modern FPS games you've described have, Gila, is the slower player movement speed. limitations in weapons, and photorealistic graphics. However, I don't think that those games were really aiming to be realistic, but I do think they were aiming be fixed interactive action movies with the appearance of realism. As a result, they have a lot of problems with narrative and gameplay pacing. I still think that Half-Life 1 serves as a good example of a game which attributed the feeling of realism upon the sensibilities of late 90s games, and no developer since has succeeded in replicating the experience that game gave.

I don't think VGames meant realism in terms of the games you describe, Gila. I think he meant that he wanted to see a Blood game which gave the appearance of being realistic, in graphics and atmosphere, while still retaining what made Blood great. I myself want to see a Blood game where it makes you feel like you are actually in a haunted house or a graveyard, and that the creatures you fight against feel like they're actually there in front of you. I'm not sure that this century has the kind of hardware to pull off the kind of realism I envision. Or maybe we do, but how does one find the right developer would can take what the graphical and programming leaps of todays games, and apply it to Blood in such a way without resorting to unskippable cutscenes and ill-advised design?
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

Realistic games and their limits ruined so much the world of fps....look at the mp of DOOM 2016, the solo is cool (even if the waves style is boring because real level design with traps is better I think) but the mp is horrible, you have weapons starter with 2 weaps, 1 grenade, and can grab any weapons except item on the map, better to not talk about something like that for BLOOD.

Real fps have:
Fast move
A lot of weapons who can carry
Complex and mazed level design
Deathmatch (with others mod like CTF)
A lot of things like blood has, also: originality :!:

Games are never totaly realistic anyway, it's fake, they can make it like if it was a simulation of war game or hunting but you can never be totaly realistic and anyway, it's not fun in FPS, i think it ruined the world of fps, when you see all the awesome fps we get in the 90's (and beginning of the 2000 - early) :(

I like ROTT and ROTT 2016 but it's different, you can have a lot of bazooka type (the game is based on that), it's why you use only slot 3 (machinegun) and the bazooka of the slot 4 (homing missile, bazooka, atomic bazooka ect....) because the bazooka are very strong. The concept is not like the mp of doom 2016.

But for BLOOD, we need...BLOOD ! If they want make it for E-sport (like the post of Jace Hall, said), better to not have realistic stuff, like forced crouching when you jump from high place or run without the possibility of using your gun (like in Wolfenstein TNO). :roll:

Classic FPS forever :phantasm:
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

It's funny how often Blood becomes platform for denouncing modern shooters. If we could get away from talking about what a new installment of Blood shouldn't be instead of what it should be we'll keep the thread from getting stale.

Pain/death animation:

Rag doll physics has been around for over a decade now and has somewhat replaced the older method of animating every death separately. Is rag doll being used as creatively as it could be? Does Deeday jack spin around without falling if I shoot him in the shoulder with my BAR, but not when I shoot him with the pistol? Excuse me for not having up to date knowledge on the latest usage, but do modern models actually deform when hit? do faces change in accordance to locational damage?

Just trying to see if this transmission can still shift gears-

-Z

EDIT: should and shouldn't deparately needed to change places in the first paragraph.
Last edited by N0t_mINe on Sun Jul 17, 2016 08:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

Yeah sorry ! Since DOOM and SW2013 are not really like the classic games (level design and stuff), i still wait for a classic game to show the power of classic style and with BLOOD, it could be wonderful because it's my favorite too but yes, better to talk about the possibilities ?

For the pain/death animation, i havent thought to that.... need to be still crazy, funny and creepy for me, im sure they can make it well. (i haven't understand well i think, sorry for my english) :s

I feel like they could add monsters/demons if they prepare a remake or something.....i think, creepy demons from real legends could be awesome but no too much, with Kevil Kilstrom, im sure It can awesome....when i see how he made the enemies !

I can imagine the style of the Death Wish expansion in a remake, i loved death wish for his "Nightmare" style sometimes or the ghost black house of the Bloody Pulp Fiction expansion, when Caleb open a door, is sucked by the door like if there was a powerful wind behind him, and in the room, the door close with a violent sound and then, like he said in the game :" Show yourself!" ; )
This kind of stuff could be so creepy..... ! Reference from nightmares could be a good thing but it depends....

I liked how the maps were modified when you used a key, you go back, everything changed, it was so weird and cool ^^
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

@Manhs: No apologies please, certainly not for something everyone's posted about. :)

Doom2016 and SW are good remakes to bring up though, not to mention those Blood add ons.

Brutal Doom is the unsung hero of Doom16, perhaps it will be the same for B3?

:guns:
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

VGames wrote:I think if there was a third Blood I'd want it to look very realistic. I think that would suit the horror aspect of the game. Both of the previous installments looked very good for their time so I would expect the next one to look amazing in whatever time period it's made.
Of course I'm talking about graphics. What's wrong with you guys?
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

Oh sorry.... and for sure !

I think, im still traumatized by nextgen fps .... xD

For the musics, i will say "remix" and maybe some new ones but need to feel the same atmosphere....basically, i prefer melody in the OST of games, but i like how i feel really the atmosphere of BLOOD even with the theme who are more atmospheric than melodic...those theme are still really creepy too! Like "Fate of the Damned"... but the others too :gargoyle:
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

VGames wrote:
Of course I'm talking about graphics. What's wrong with you guys?
I'm guessing that we're not making a strong enough distinction between looking realistic and playing in a 'super realism' type setting? I took it for granted that your realism merely means up to date, which I have no issues with.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Duster or trenchcoat?
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

Although I'm not good at doing illustrations which look realistic, I can illustrate the general idea for how I want a game to look like. Imagine this here visual enhanced with better graphics. This pic illustrates an idea for level for my own vision of Blood 3. It takes place in an abandoned wooden farm shack in Texas under the moonlight, with no electricity and infested by walking gargoyles and undead yokels. Caleb's only got a knife to fight them all.

The slogan I wrote in lead pencil underneath the blue Blood III title says: "Old wounds are bound to be reopened..."
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

That's a nice bit of artwork BEAST. I have to ask though, what were those monsters doing before Caleb walked in on them?
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

A better question brought up by that art, how scary should blood3 be?