Night Dive Studios' CEO: "Blood is on our remake wishlist"

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

frightfan
Caleb's Bootlicker

Night Dive Studios' CEO: "Blood is on our remake wishlist"

Post by frightfan »

Nice to see people still want to keep Caleb alive in 2016. Given their oeuvre thus far, this is kind of exciting to think about. :D
http://thegg.net/interviews/night-dive- ... phen-kick/
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: Night Dive Studios' CEO: "Blood is on our remake wishlis

Post by Tchernobog »

The interest is nice, but the rights situation does still hang over things like a dark cloud.

I do not really see them having any better luck than Jason Hall or Devolver Digital did.
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

Devolver have made an awesome reedition (3D and stuff) of Serious Sam HD, a friend showed me, it was impressive, like a real remake.
I could be very happy if Devolver can make a BLOOD remake like that! :D
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I too have a lot of good will towards Devolver Digital, but for the moment Atari does not, otherwise they would not have priced the Blood rights out of the market when they asked. The buck does still unfortunately stop with them.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Atari are complete morons and at this point are plain jerks. People want a new Blood and they won't let anybody make one. They're not gonna do it so why not let somebody else do it? Completely stupid.
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

Atari doesnt exist anymore since 2013 (I think): http://news.sky.com/story/1040846/game- ... bankruptcy

They have bankrupt and are dead, now Monolith is with Warner Bros Games Entertainment: http://www.lith.com/games/
"Monolith is a member of the
WB Games Family."

Atari asked a high price, maybe because they needed a lot of money, but anyways, RIP. :phantasm:

Devolver could re-ask maybe to Monolith if Warner Bros Games Entertainment can sell them the licence not too expensive...i asked them about that :)
or Night Dives Studio, but they make more "hd render stuff" than real remake I think, but if they can make a good stuff, it's still good to have! :)

For a HD render/stuff , we will have XLengine anyway (who will be able to use opengl with better render and others stuff).

The original version of Serious Sam and Serious Sam HD are very differents, the HD version seem to use more 3D stuff and details and it looks really well made....who know'
Let's keep a bit more hopes? :gargoyle:
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Just because Atari filed for bankruptcy does not mean it no longer exists. In fact, all three subsidiaries of Atari emerged from bankruptcy one year later. Nor would it follow that Monolith/Warner Brothers would receive the rights to Blood back in any case even if Atari did shutdown.

You can even still buy both Blood games directly from Atari's website:
https://www.atari.com/buy-games/action- ... hole-blood
https://www.atari.com/buy-games/action- ... -ii-chosen

It may help explain why Jason Hall's efforts fell apart the way they did though.
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

oh damn, you are right! :s
I have a bad feeling now about a remake..
Who really have the copyright then, it's still Atari ?....
Well, i hope something is still possible !

I had a lot of fun with the solo of DOOM (4) but i need really a deep fps classic in nextgen style or even with a engine like Devolver did for Serious Sam HD..it could be awesome and we could get more fans then! (because people like high graphism, kind of haha) :)
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

Well, Stephan Weyte is still interested in voice acting if FPS Movie is anything to go by. I think, that if by some stroke of luck, Blood 3 becomes a reality he would go back to voicing Caleb no problem. He developed that character voice on his own so it should come natural, even after such a long time since The Nightmare Levels. The main character in FPS Movie sounds very much like Caleb anyway so... :guns:
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Speaking of Night Dive, look what just showed up on GOG.com at long last:
https://www.gog.com/game/strife_veteran_edition

I have been waiting on this one. :guns:
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

Stephan Weyte
great voice of Caleb. in Blood 1.

in Blood II it seems just way too deranged, crossing the line to sillyness or something, just becomes corny and annoying.
"balbalbalbaalbla phrase some taunt blabalbalbal" would Blood II Caleb say and then add 'sinister' nasal laugh "nyaaahhahaha" all the time. why? much more presence and "class" to Caleb in original game.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

I love Blood 2 Caleb.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Here is the thing about Blood II bashers; they can not decide if they find Blood II to be too realistic or too campy.

I am not going to dispute the idea that Caleb had more reserved class in the original, but if anything playing as him is so much more fun in Blood II because he is so deranged. That is not a slight towards the original Blood; its strengths were in other areas and it is on balance the stronger of the two games, but Blood II does win in terms of pure visceral satisfaction and whimsy. That being said, the main thread that holds both performances together is the fact that Stephan Weyte always manages to stay cool even when bordering on being over the top. He always has class, it just sometimes finds different expressions.

It is hard not to have fun with a main character that is enjoying himself so much.
Last edited by Tchernobog on Wed Jun 08, 2016 05:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

wasn't bashing on Weyte, he's the man. i guess he was directed to act in that way in Blood II and i think he did exactly that, which is a sign of high professionalism.

(too) campy, yes, that's the word i was looking for to describe Blood II Caleb.
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

I don't know about BLOOD 2 caleb , i have played like 1/3 of the game but i had really no feeling with playing it, there was so much games who were like BLOOD 2, it reminds me a lot Half Life with a horror touch (story too), the style, the humans..... Not only campy, but the gameplay with those enemies is more generic, or at least, like a lot of fps of thise time (full 3D)....like a friend said, it reminds him a lot Goldeneye, especially for the "cultists" of BLOOD 2.

BLOOD 1 strengh was his unique and beautiful weird atmosphere of the 1900's, each monsters go well with the others, it has his own style, even for the gameplay, it can be fast paced/run&gun but you must take care a lot with the cultists/fanatics who can pixelshot/cornershot you, so you need to be brutal with the run&gun style and use some tactic to beat some others, it was very complete.
Some people said Blood is not run&gun, but if you use the easiest mods, i suppose it can be run&gun, but for me BLOOD 1 in well done or extra crispy is really one of the hardest fps i have played, if not the hardest (with some others like Redneck Rampage with those sheriffs, female aliens and Bikers who hurt a lot, shot directly on you and huge damage).

I started BLOOD 2 in normal mod, but again, i have no feeling when i play it, i like a lot when a game/fps have his own atmosphere and originality..... Putting Caleb is the future is huge off-topic' , when i have remember, playing Caleb on futurist airship, i don't understand.
Like if you use Corvus from Heretic and put him in the world of BLOOD or Redneck Rampage (i exagerate but you see', i feel like that).

No more gargoyles, cultists who look like crazy monks and others made me sad.... and people told me "Nightmares" level are cool, but seeing Cultists with a mecha mask, just no....! I want just see their awesome ugly face when they are killed by bullets of the mafia tommy gun style or old dynamite! The Flare gun with a maroon design was awesome too, seeing them burn and fall apart !

If i continue the game, it could change, idk but for now it's not like BLOOD 1 who catched me at 100% at the Dark Carnival <3, also the ost of BLOOD 1 is wonderful, infuscomus, lair of shial, unholy voices and some atmosphere type themes, is so special and deep (Exhumed/Powerslave was very good for that too).

It's why i hope, if BLOOD is rebooted or something, it will be with the unique atmosphere of the first one. :phantasm:

(sorry for my english, im french x)