Night Dive Studios' CEO: "Blood is on our remake wishlist"

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Re: Night Dive Studios' CEO: "Blood is on our remake wishlis

Post by Gila »

but for me BLOOD 1 in well done or extra crispy is really one of the hardest fps i have played, if not the hardest
these difficulty settings were made for cooperative play, though i agree, extra crispy is interesting in its own way.
i myself completed only first episode and cryptic passage on extra crispy. knowing all secrets sure helps alot.
(with some others like Redneck Rampage with those sheriffs, female aliens and Bikers who hurt a lot, shot directly on you and huge damage).
those were really just bad game design moments, they start shooting instantly and always almost 100% accuracy, and they have alot of HP.
I started BLOOD 2 in normal mod, but again, i have no feeling when i play it
i thought the station level and the following museum and cabal tenement house were nicely creepy in their own way, sewage tunnels and cathedral were also good. but the atmosphere goes downhill from that point.
when i have remember, playing Caleb on futurist airship, i don't understand.
well they decided it would be interesting to put it all in the future, where cabal is not a cult but a huge corporation now.
people told me "Nightmares" level are cool, but seeing Cultists with a mecha mask, just no....!
they just look like that, it's supposed to be a face. the nightmare levels add-on is very weak in itself, just a waste of development time. and to be honest it seems they made it quickly.
If i continue the game, it could change
Blood II initially had alot of great ideas, most of them were abandoned. it was also couple years ago confirmed by a developer interview, that it was very very rushed.
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

Yeah, the 100% accuracy of those enemy is really dangerous....

I have read the game was very rushed yes...

Ah, so, the cabal is not a cult but corporation, then...well, it's like an other story in a way, i noticed but it seemed they tried to make a "next" blood 1 atmosphere but with changing everything...but true, like you say, it's a total new story.

I don't think the game is bad in the gameplay, i really love deep atmosphere in game (like exhumed, heretic and others), and the gameplay looks ok, there is a lot of weapons and alt.

Ah, the face of the cultists is like a demonic face? http://blood-wiki.org/images/5/53/B2_robed_cultist.jpg
Or maybe because the full 3D engine was squared....

I must say Im not very fan of the "full 3D design FPS" of this time, i like a lot the games like Quake or Dark Forces 2, but the squared/cubic design can be really weird sometimes x)

Nightmares level try to be like the first one then ?

Interesting for the difficulty settings of the BLOOD 1, like some people, i have finished the first BLOOD (+ officials expansions and Banzai-addon expansion) in Extra Cripsy/1life per map but i saved at the beginning of the maps, i don't like if i lose my weapon and it can become too hard for me with pitchfork start :s ...
But im still very bad in Deathmatch... x)
The cool thing with the first BLOOD, when i finish a map in well done or extra cripsy, i feel so proud and happy, it's epic. But no ego there, it's more because i like the smart gameplay of BLOOD (not just run&gun i mean), in a way :)

Im fan of BLOOD since 1 year and some months, only...but even after played it a lot (and some expansions like Death Wish, French Meat, RATM and others), neeeed more ! The atmosphere is so spiritual, with blood, it fits perfectly :phantasm:
At least, there is users maps, i hope a new port could be possible then, could help the mappers to make new stuff (or mods!).

I hope Night Dive Studios could do something, or Devolver... I feel like after 2020, if nothing happen, Classic FPS could be down, kind of?
But there is still DOOM, SW2 and others but again, i would really want a classic fps in nextgen....it could show how it's awesome ! *enthousiastic* : 3
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

The thing I like about Blood II is how it was a sequel that realized it could not rest on its laurels or try to surpass the original. Instead, it attempted to build its own thing on top of the original game's lore and fundamentals. The last part of that sentence is crucial though, as it did not try to override the original game as many many modern remakes do, right down to pinching their titles.

The dark urban aesthetic in Blood II is indeed more common than the old gothic locales found in the original, but I still think Monolith pulled it off well and the lighting and texturing in the original LithTech is still one of my favourite styles of any game engine. Blood II simply looks gorgeous, at least as far as I am concerned, and the soundtrack really does feed into the core theme of the game, which is of an undead archaic force left to ravage a near future it does not really belong in.

And you just need to look at some of the fan fiction to see how much Blood II brought to the overall cannon. Much of the storyline and lore we take for granted was added by Blood II. It is just a shame a lot of it could not be told inside the game itself due to its chaotic development.
Manhs
Cultist

Post by Manhs »

You mean, BLOOD 1 and BLOOD 2 can be like Heretic & Hexen ? I mean, different story and gameplay type ? (kind of)
Interesting ! Well, not the best comparaison, but i suppose its something like that....variation ^^