blood2 revelations!

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Re: blood2 Revelations!

Post by N0t_mINe »

@ Blaze_Ventura:

I don't think you handled models for Revelations, yet our current plight demands that I ask.

How do you save changes to abcV6 models? There's a copy of 3dsMax2 availibile along with the plugins, yet we can't even remove nodes. Minor tweaks to some of these models would be a huge game changer.

We know this was all 14 years ago and you weren't the 3d modeler, but any insights at all could be of help.
Last edited by N0t_mINe on Thu Jan 15, 2015 06:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaze_Ventura
Rat

Re: blood2 revelations!

Post by Blaze_Ventura »

although I didn't handle the modelling of the models, I did work with the various abc tools as well as the 3DSMax tools as well.

I'd need to run through the process again here before I can describe the process to you (just to refresh), I also have a feeling that Monolith providing us with an updated importer/exporter/3DS plugin - let me check through my asset drive and I'll get back to you. EDIT: I've checked through my mails, I've got a couple of files for exporting (looks like from softimage, but my mail/response from Lith doesn't give context around the .dll and .cus file. and I can't remember the reasoning behind it, I'll take a further look in to this.

Also BTW - WRT missing textures, if you extract all of the retail .rez files and put the extracted files under \blood2 sub-folder in the main blood 2 folder. So you should have something like c:\blood2\blood2 - extracted rez files go in the 2nd blood 2 folder (including:cres.dll, cshell.dll, object.lto, sres.dll and blood2.dep) as well as all of the additional sub-folders/files extracted from the main rez files. Then move the .rez files out of the \blood2 (the first sub-folder) - don't delete them, just move them out of the Blood2 project - I.e. stick 'em on your desktop for now

Next download the PikaCommando shared out and extract the files, the folders/files stored in the \Revelations sub-folder (which has folders such as \Interface, \Models, \Skins, etc.) should be directly copied in to the second Blood2 folder (created in the first step), which contains the extracted .rez files. Windows will ask to replace existing folders, agree to this procedure.

Finally take all of the Revelations maps in .dat form (from the dropbox share I gave) and put them in the \WORLDS sub-folder in the second Blood2 folder (again created in the 1st step, containing the extracted .rez files).

In summary the textures are referenced assets in the compiled map files, so you'll need to place the new textures/sprites/animatedtextures etc. in the existing blood2 project for them to show up.

Run the Blood2.exe and on the windows launcher go to advanced and add in the following command to the Command-Line field (without quotations) "+enableretaillevels 1"

Then launch the game, go to Single Player > Custom - you should see all of the retail blood 2 levels here now as well as the Revelations ones.

Launch a revelations level and if the above steps worked you'll be cooking with gas.
Blaze_Ventura
Rat

Post by Blaze_Ventura »

N0t_mINe wrote:@Blaze_Ventura:

Welcome to tfn! That tech2 map looks a little Black Mesa-ish If you don't mind me saying so.

@N0t_mINe - correct answer - now investigate the other maps while thinking about the original question I proposed, answers on a postcard (or listed in the forum) and I'll reveal information.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Did u have any part in the programming aspect of this expansion? Or do u still have contact with the guys who had a part in the programming?
Blaze_Ventura
Rat

Post by Blaze_Ventura »

I'm afraid the code was destroyed in a power cut incident years ago, actually after TS disbanded and we all lost contact with each other. HDD and raid/networked devices all got fried/corrupted data due to incident.

I did contact one of the coders several years back (post event) but no joy with recovery.

names are as follows, with no forward details of recent, happy hunting:

Alan Dennis
Chris Hilton

BTW - we never really got that far in to the code - we'd pretty much planned out the project/story/direction/structure then began work on levels/code - shortly after GT pulled the plug due to initial sales figures.

things which made it in to code:

intensity tweaks to gibbing/gore
Throwable knives
flame thrower
some dual handed weapons
basic placeholder weapon code (equip new weapon and fire new weapon) but not balanced at all) - literally just static model and fire sound/projectile/hit detect/decal
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

That's funny. My mod increases gib and gore amounts, has a working flamethrower which spreads actual fire that burns as long as its visible, and all guns except for the sniper can be dual wielded. Seems like we shared the same ideas. I like that knife throwing idea. Would be good if I had models and animations to work with. Sadly no way to animate or model has been found yet.
Blaze_Ventura
Rat

Post by Blaze_Ventura »

don't want to sound super ignorant, assuming you are one of the key members of transfusion - sorry I'm super out of touch with the blood community these days, was enticed back through a youtube video of unseen, which happened to have a comment from PikaCommando (under different alias), randomly responded - then check profile - which connected to someone who tried to add me to their steam friends list... the rest is history and now you have the archives
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Blaze_Ventura wrote:
N0t_mINe wrote:@Blaze_Ventura:

Welcome to tfn! That tech2 map looks a little Black Mesa-ish If you don't mind me saying so.

@N0t_mINe - correct answer - now investigate the other maps while thinking about the original question I proposed, answers on a postcard (or listed in the forum) and I'll reveal information.
Hmm, I meant to say abandonedbase was a lot like Black Mesa. tech2 probably fits too though. Lets see, streets has a definate kingpin vibe. Cathedralsection is a little heretic/kpc- ish in as much as those games had cathedrals with large outdoor areas.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Blaze_Ventura wrote:
BTW - we never really got that far in to the code - we'd pretty much planned out the project/story/direction/structure then began work on levels/code - shortly after GT pulled the plug due to initial sales figures.
So Revelations was never supposed to be a vehicle for the lithtech 1.5 patch- at least in the early stages?
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

I hope everyone knows that there isn't any point to revisiting past hard feelings or disappointment towards decisions that were made at a time of great stress on Monolith. Anyone who's read Gamasutra's post mortem on NOLF is aware that aforementioned game was built on parts recycled from blood2 using a team that was originally assembled to start a Shogo sequel. Monolith had to prove it could make money with their titles, otherwise the company with creative rights to blood would cease to exist. Throw Columbine (1999, not a good year for the shooter) on top of that decision making process and I'm sure we can see Jace did what he felt necessary.

Im greatful that Blaze took the time to make this release and even popped in to say "hi". I hope he sees fit to return, but if not, that's okay too.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Nothing disappoints me any more when it comes to this game. When i heard that this content had been released I already knew that their would be strings attached. I'm glad we got new maps to work with at least. And I hope Blaze does drop by every now and then. Now in order to make these resources not so bitter sweet, somebody needs to get on finishing these maps. ILA, I'm talking to you.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I've looked through some of them and I'm glad to see something new (different). I am interested in making some of these functioning maps. I read Peter Hopkins released this but has anyone actually asked him if its ok to modify what is in there?

Ahh, never mind. I see that he did after the original post.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

This more formal version was taken from the gog blood community forums:
re: copyright - please feel free to use the levels for non-profit creations including mods/inspirational works. Any other form of use is strictly prohibited. They are to serve as a nostalgic reminder for the modding community and if the community wish to continue with any of the editable levels they are free to do so for non-profit/non-financed projects.
Also:
Just looking through the assets, spotted a couple that don't belong to Revelations:

BB_SpaceDock level - which is designed/created by Michael Gehri - its in the project listing as he asked me to take a look at his level.Post edited 4 days ago by Blaze_Ventura

http://www.gog.com/forum/blood_series/b ... pack/page1
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I'll have some time to mess around this weekend. (After real life stuff of course) Looking forward to geeking out :D
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

For what it is worth I have his copyright statement preserved for posterity on the Blood Wiki:
http://www.blood-wiki.org/index.php/Blo ... ons#Legacy