Blood: The Lost Episode

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

kingmaz
Rat

Blood: The Lost Episode

Post by kingmaz »

Hi everyone,

I have recently put together an 8 level blood episode using maps from the alpha. I have implemented sounds, fixed level issues, and made minor decorative changes to some levels.

Here is a link to the first level of the episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HjZWT1ALSQ

Over the next few days I will post the rest of the levels and hopefully get the episode out for people to play.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Re: Blood: The Lost Episode

Post by N0t_mINe »

Excellent work here man. Were you able to edit the alpha maps or are they compiled?
kingmaz
Rat

Post by kingmaz »

Sorry I am not sure what you mean by compiled. I have edited all maps so that they include sound, have working doors, elevators and can be beaten. I have made minor structural changes to maps so they could be progressed through properly (not having entire sections skipped). The only newly added sectors by me are a path to the secret level in e3m4 and underwater portions of map e3m3. Aside from sounds, decorations and some enemy positions most of these maps are largely unchanged from their alpha counter parts.

The Episode readme file covers a few of the most memorable changes made to the original alpha maps.

You can download the Episode here:

http://blood.freeminded.de/index.php?section=maps

Thanks, I spent so much time on these maps so my fellow cultists could play and enjoy a whole episode of what could have been.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Thank you again for your hard work. I'm vaguely aware of blood having a different map format than that of blood alpha. Glad you were able to implement the changes required to get the maps fully playable.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Sorry for not responding to this earlier, but we have been subject to the privilege of a fairly massive snow dump here for the past few days, meaning that I have either had to spend most of my free time in getting the snow cleared or recovering from getting the snow cleared. To make matters worse we also had the power cut out here at 4:00 in the morning when the temperature was approaching -30 °C, meaning that we had to rush into town to get some more gas for our generator so that we could power our heater to ensure our well did not freeze...

At any rate, this is certainly an interesting project, but the main thing that struck me about the level included in the video was how much of the architecture present actually had more in common with Doom than any of the other Build engine games or even the finished product of Blood itself.
kingmaz
Rat

Post by kingmaz »

Wish it snowed where i live.

Yea many people have been saying that it reminds them of doom. Also comparing it to heretic as the inner dock of that level seems to be heavily inspired by heretic.

The definite difference between the alpha levels and retail are ultimately what drove me to put time into fixing these maps. However it is pretty surprising to me that so many alpha maps did actually make it into retail and plasma. Aside from the first 3 maps all the plasma levels were from alpha. Fire and brimstone, the dam level and the second to the last level of the first episode are some examples of alpha maps in retail. It is pretty cool to see such unique and varied map styles within the alpha.