My project: BuildSharp

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

dosgamer000
Acolyte

Re: My project: BuildSharp

Post by dosgamer000 »

Very interesting video. I'll be frank; pretty much everyone else here has more computing know-how than me but you have my support and I wish you well.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Any updates?
Cosmo
Axe Zombie

Post by Cosmo »

Sure,

Working during the summer has been tricky, having kids is very exhausting! So development took a little hiatus for six/seven weeks. Still did a few teeny tiny bits here and there but nothing to write home about.

I've recently restarted working and begun looking seriously at actors/sprites. Seeing how i need to implement them and what is needed in "billboarding" them... (turns out it's a post-processing technique). Been working in actual Blood to see how enemies/creatures behave in various circumstances so as to determine behaviour "states" and effects.
Cosmo
Axe Zombie

Post by Cosmo »

Apologies on the lack of updates... other than generally busy there is no real reason for not updating.

Things have gone a little backwards for the moment, as things have developed and grown I've decided to convert to MonoGame now and have begun to re-write the code so as to improve things for multi-threading and allow for proper caching of textures (hopefully).

Anyway, I'm planning to do a Twitch stream of BuildSharp development next Weds the 10th of December at around 8pm GMT for about an hour or two (depending on how things go). All are welcome to watch, chat, ask questions, hurl abuse, etc. The URL will be http://www.twitch.tv/cosmothecoder which is where I mainly do my gaming streams so this will be a new thing for me.

I'll post again on the day to confirm that the stream is going ahead or if I have to cancel.

Edit: forgot to say, I'll upload it to the BuildSharp YouTube channel afterwards so those that cannot watch live can see it afterwards (and ask questions/comment).
Cosmo
Axe Zombie

Post by Cosmo »

Everything is set for the stream tonight... I've got a general plan for what I'm going to do but we'll see how it goes!
icecoldduke
Axe Zombie

Post by icecoldduke »

The way he is doing things in his project is just awful. He couldn't figure out how to make a pixel shader that can sample a texture and a palette and get the resulting correct color. Instead he creates a system, that loads each diffuse texture and creates corresponding copies of that diffuse texture for each item in the palette. He found out his implementation took a big on the load times, so instead of going back and figuring out how to make the right pixel shader, he made his awful system multithreaded.

The levels are not rendering correctly either(he can't handle room over room yet for example), so instead of fixing the remainder of his rendering issues, he started focusing on his "scripting system." This scripting system is dynamically compiled CLR(C# to clr using codedom). He is doing this because he doesn't plan on releasing the source code to his project. Instead he thinks everyone here will use his scripting system. His scripting system, aside it from using C#, will not able to leverage intellisense/visual assist because of the way he has it setup. He doesn't think intellisense is important, he thinks weak programmers use it.

To top all that off, he thinks he can make a magical converter to convert the game logic over to his scripting system. He posted that multiple times, but later backed off from that statement and says he will do it all by hand, for all the different build games, starting with Blood. BloomCM is a great project, but this guy doesn't have enough talent to knock out a codebase that is anywere close that project in terms of quality and substance. He isn't even leveraging a existing engine, instead he is using his own custom built engine.

I don't have high hopes for this guy's project.
Cosmo
Axe Zombie

Post by Cosmo »

icecoldduke wrote:The way he is doing things in his project is just awful. He couldn't figure out how to make a pixel shader that can sample a texture and a palette and get the resulting correct color. Instead he creates a system, that loads each diffuse texture and creates corresponding copies of that diffuse texture for each item in the palette. He found out his implementation took a big on the load times, so instead of going back and figuring out how to make the right pixel shader, he made his awful system multithreaded.

The levels are not rendering correctly either(he can't handle room over room yet for example), so instead of fixing the remainder of his rendering issues, he started focusing on his "scripting system." This scripting system is dynamically compiled CLR(C# to clr using codedom). He is doing this because he doesn't plan on releasing the source code to his project. Instead he thinks everyone here will use his scripting system. His scripting system, aside it from using C#, will not able to leverage intellisense/visual assist because of the way he has it setup. He doesn't think intellisense is important, he thinks weak programmers use it.

To top all that off, he thinks he can make a magical converter to convert the game logic over to his scripting system. He posted that multiple times, but later backed off from that statement and says he will do it all by hand, for all the different build games, starting with Blood. BloomCM is a great project, but this guy doesn't have enough talent to knock out a codebase that is anywere close that project in terms of quality and substance. He isn't even leveraging a existing engine, instead he is using his own custom built engine.

I don't have high hopes for this guy's project.
Seriously, what have you got against me and my project? You come on to my YouTube channel and start criticising everything I've done so far, telling me that I'm doing it all wrong, and then start commenting on my answers to peoples questions about how I won't be able to do things when you haven't the first clue how the code works (This is why you are banned by the way) and now you post on multiple forums bad-mouthing the project without a shred of evidence other than "I haven't used a pixel shader"...

Really, what is your problem?
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Kurt Fuhr lives on. LOL

@ Cosmo
This guy seems like he's got it out for u. Does he do any kind of game design? Even light modding?
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Icecolduke was fairly prominent back in the early days of eduke32, although my knowledge of mods for the port are rudimentary. The first alpha release for winblood eduke was his. Also, he put together an attempted port of blood sprites onto quake 3 over at posty about 5 years ago.
Cosmo
Axe Zombie

Post by Cosmo »

Yeah, I know some of his history... Just don't understand what the problem he seems to have with BuildSharp... Still nevermind. In other news, an update is coming... can't guarantee it'll be very visual, but hopefully interesting to some.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

I don't care who he is what he's doing is rude. You don't troll somebody and there work across multiple sites. Let it go.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

@VGames: I doubt anyone is trying to excuse behavior, especially of the negative sort. As to the trolling, I'll admit to having been overly preoccupied to have looked into the matter.

@cosmo: Seeing the success of kaiser's powerslave EX has renewed my hope in the exe. wrapper approach. Good luck with your endeavors! BD
Cosmo
Axe Zombie

Post by Cosmo »

N0t_mINe wrote:@VGames: I doubt anyone is trying to excuse behavior, especially of the negative sort. As to the trolling, I'll admit to having been overly preoccupied to have looked into the matter.

@cosmo: Seeing the success of kaiser's powerslave EX has renewed my hope in the exe. wrapper approach. Good luck with your endeavors! BD
Don't worry too much about the trolling, I've dealt with that and I'm just more interested why someone like him is doing this.

Thanks for the encouragement!
icecoldduke
Axe Zombie

Post by icecoldduke »

I have shipped AAA titles, and my opinion about him and his project is posted above. I wish my opinion of him was better, but its not. The Blood work I did on here was awful, it was during my very very junior years and deserves to be drenched in gas and burned. :) I will take this all to private pm.

On topic, what is kaiser powerslave exe wrapper?
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

hmmm, kaiser got a cease and desist notice, but the wordpress page is still up. Ill link you to the forum thread.

https://forums.duke4.net/topic/8090-pow ... -lol-nope/