I'm now the proud owner of One Unit Whole Blood! ^__^

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Edmond Dantes
Axe Zombie

I'm now the proud owner of One Unit Whole Blood! ^__^

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Here's what happened: the eBay seller incorrectly listed it as simply being the Plasma Pak, but the picture showed the OUWB CD, so I took a chance, and wound up having to only pay $18.99, not the exhorbitant prices that physical copies usually cost.

However, I do have a question:

How do I run Cryptic Passage? When I run cryptic.exe I get an error message.
(EDIT: Nevermind, apparently this is a known problem and I may have discovered a fix)

(Speaking of Cryptic Passage, there's an ebay listing that has it at $3, plus about $7 shipping and handling, for a big box copy. It's listed as JUST "Cryptic Passage" tho, so search for that and you should find it. I thought of grabbing it myself, but in the spirit of generosity I felt it would be better to let one of you guys have it).
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: I'm now the proud owner of One Unit Whole Blood! ^__^

Post by Tchernobog »

You are progressing well Edmond. ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

:wink:
Edmond Dantes
Axe Zombie

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Just trying to live up to my name ^__^. Though the literary Edmond Dantes was more about subtle revenge, but I don't think he would fault Caleb's methods either.

If this keeps up, I'll probably end up playing Blood II while singing Shogo's opening theme. Incidentally Blood II and its expansion seem to be really cheap, even if you don't get it from GOG. Too bad I just placed an order for a collection of Id Software games (I really wanted Spear of Destiny) or I'd just grab it... and Rise of the Triad... and Blake Stone: Planet Strike... and Shadow Warrior...

(Yeah, I love old-school FPSes)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

GEROPAYATI RUDSCELERATUS! GEROPAYATI RUDSCELERATUS!

8)
Edmond Dantes
Axe Zombie

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Is there a rough translation around for Cult-speak?

Finished Episode 1.... five(?) more to go...

Loved how Caleb reacted to seeing Ophelia.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

You can learn and translate Cultist by consulting these tables:
http://www.blood-wiki.org/index.php/Cultist_Language
Edmond Dantes
Axe Zombie

Post by Edmond Dantes »

By the way, remember when I mentioned someone on eBay is selling a boxed copy of Cryptic Passage for like $10 (shipping included)?

It's still there.

Seriously, if you guys know any Blood fans who have been wanting it, tell them! If it gets to the final day and nobody else buys it, I'll buy it just out of sheer pity.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

Edmond Dantes wrote:Is there a rough translation around for Cult-speak?

Finished Episode 1.... five(?) more to go...

Loved how Caleb reacted to seeing Ophelia.
First, welcome to the Transfusion fellow Blood fan! :D

Yeah, the scene where he discovers her corpse is a good one indeed, one of the few times you see Caleb actually care for another person.
Edmond Dantes
Axe Zombie

Post by Edmond Dantes »

And I'm getting my ass kicked on Episode 2...

Still, Caleb returned from the dead once.

I'm going slow because I'm playing Blood alongside Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and various other oldschool PC games (I have sixteen arms). Oldschool FPS forever!
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Edmond Dantes wrote: I'm going slow because I'm playing Blood alongside Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and various other oldschool PC games (I have sixteen arms). Oldschool FPS forever!
You might benefit from setting those other shooters aside for a few days; not that they aren't great, it just that timing is so much more critical to Blood1 combat. Blood doesn't reward defensive gaming styles as much as some of the other shooters you've listed, i.e. baddies are less likely to pursue you relentlessly, so you can't lure them into traps, at least not dependably like Doom.

Just a sight-seeing note.

That mansion level you're playing/ about to play/ have played is a favorite amongst fans of the game.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

N0t_mINe wrote:Blood doesn't reward defensive gaming styles as much as some of the other shooters you've listed, i.e. baddies are less likely to pursue you relentlessly, so you can't lure them into traps, at least not dependably like Doom.
Blood does reward a certain amount of cunning however. Find creative uses for your weapons, and the best vantage for using them.
N0t_mINe wrote:That mansion level you're playing/ about to play/ have played is a favorite amongst fans of the game.
Alongside most of the first episode, I think it is fair to say. :)
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

Speaking of Wolfenstein 3D, that is probably the most unforgiving shooter of all time. The way that game calculates damage is insane and on any difficulty beside the absolute easiest one, you will usually die with 2-5 shots from pretty much any enemy. Mutants and SS are 1 or 2 hit kills up-close from near 100% health and are the higher difficulties, that game jumps from run and gun action to survival horror. Perhaps I just suck but I can't play comfortable when my character has the endurance of paper. Thank God Doom got the balance perfectly with just greater enemy count/tougher foes than upping the damage. Incidentally, I can play Doom on ultra-violence and fair decently on Well Done difficulty in Blood but Wolf3D...oh the nightmares...
Edmond Dantes
Axe Zombie

Post by Edmond Dantes »

To be honest dude, you just described Wolfenstein's entire appeal.

I remember once playing some fan-made attempt to port Wolf3D over to Doom, and feeling like it was kinda lame. Apparently there's a better conversion out now tho--the one I played didn't have patrolling guards, had a damage system just like Doom's, and basically was no fun at all and was just too easy.

Then I played the real Wolfenstein, and oh god... just, oh god. As you said, one or two shots equals deadsville. And its that exact feeling of tension that keeps me coming back. I freaking love Wolfenstein, and that feeling when you're running around, looking for a pushwall that hides a health pick-up because you're down to 38% and don't know what's coming, and strategic elements like luring an enemy away so the guys in the next room won't hear your shots...
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Edmond Dantes wrote: As you said, one or two shots equals deadsville ... you're down to 38% and don't know what's coming
Incidentally, you just described Shogo on-foot mode - only difference is that the enemies in Shogo don't respond to stealth because they are thick as two bricks, which is why they were granted perfect aim in the first place. :P

At least Shogo has quicksave though.
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

When I got older, and replayed the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D, I gained a greater appreciation for that game when I tried it on I Am Death Incarnate Skill. I loved the technical limitations, the ability to kill enemies with one-shot kills (depending on which angle you were standing and aiming from), the fact that enemies could be alerted to your presence if you happen to shoot your weapons a few rooms from where they are, and the suggestion of WWII horrors in th blood-bone floor splatters and the skeletons in the cages sprites throughout the levels. It's stylized maze interpretation of German castle interiors and the campy comic book colors and graphics certainly still make this game a unique experience even nowadays for me. If id had implemented the feature to do stealth kills and move bodies, that would've been really awesome.

When I finally learned how to get the stealth right in Return to Castle Wolfenstein, I really fell in love with that game. The addition of WWII authentic grittiness, and the way they expanded on aspects of the original game still make it awesome for me. I do wish that someone would do a mod for RotW based upon the episodes of the original Wolfenstein 3D. I'd want someone to replicate the comic book look of the original game, generally keep the main level design but with enhancements, and add the stealth gameplay that was originally intended for Wolf3D. The Uber Soldat prototype would be perfect for Hans Gross (he and his siblings are pretty much Uber Soldats from their retro-futuristic armor).