Question for people who use GOG

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Edmond Dantes
Axe Zombie

Question for people who use GOG

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Hey guys, I asked on another forum but I figure it would be more pertinent here.

Here's the thing. I built a PC for classic gaming--I call it "Mazinkaiser"--and recently I played a Shareware version of Blood and my immediate reaction was "Want. Very Badly Want." But it's so expensive online that it seems like the best deal is to pay $35 for One Unit Whole Blood with just the game CD, no box or strategy guide.

Then I saw its on GOG for $5.99

But GOG changes the games to make them work with modern operating systems, don't they? If so, does that mean the GOG version wouldn't work on an actual DOS PC? Or will it?

If it'll work, I'll go that route.

Thanks in advance.
Caleb88
Cultist

Re: Question for people who use GOG

Post by Caleb88 »

YOu can use the GOG-version on your old PC:
It's the original blood with Blood.exe and the Cryptic-Passage.exe-file. The only ting for newer PCs is an included DosBox, a programm that emulates older PCs on new PCs to make them play dos games. But...you need not use dosbox.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

First off, welcome to the forum Edmond Dantes. And it is great to see you pop your head back here again Caleb88. :)

At any rate, I personally would really like it if GoG would also allow you the option of downloading a straight unmodified version of of their older game titles alongside their new patched up downloads, for people who still want to play the games on their old MS DOS rigs or for people who are going to be playing the game on operating systems other than Windows.

I know nothing is actually stopping us from working around their default setup, but it seems like an unnecessary layer of cruft for those of us who just want access to the original game binaries anyway. Hell, I would even appreciate it if they would give an option to just download the straight game data required for running some of their games through a separate source port; it would save a whole lot of awkward messing around involving the actual installing of the game and then copying out the pertinent data files by hand.

GoG relies heavily on tools provided by the same community that this would attract - I do think it is a more than fair request. Obviously this is not the best place to voice it, but what the hell, it is relevant.
Edmond Dantes
Axe Zombie

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Well, I decided to just download some of their freeware DOS games and test.

So far, every game has worked on Mazinkaiser, so I can assume that Blood and Shadow Warrior will as well.