How to extract stuff from Blood alpha`s RFF archive?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Vortex Lord
Rat

How to extract stuff from Blood alpha`s RFF archive?

Post by Vortex Lord »

Hi guys. I`m new here!
I was wondering how to extract stuff from Blood.rff of unofficial alpha release of Blood?
I liked the music.

Thanks and nice site!
Elric
Cabal member

Re: How to extract stuff from Blood alpha`s RFF archive?

Post by Elric »

Hi Vortex Lord, welcome to the forums. :)

I think the "RFF" command line tool from the ReBUILD project can handle the archive files from the alpha version (and if it doesn't, it should, so let me know about it in this case). You can get "RFF.exe" in the Win32 snapshots here. Copy the RFF file you want to open (for the example, let's say it's BLOOD.RFF) in the same directory than the executable, and then run "rff l BLOOD.RFF" to list its content and/or "rff x -a BLOOD.RFF" to extract all its files into the current directory (I recommend doing that in a newly created directory to not mix up files).
Vortex Lord
Rat

Post by Vortex Lord »

There`s a problem. I cannot run the program.
DOS Box says it cannot be run in DOS mode. Windows just closes it after I start it.
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

Vortex Lord wrote:Windows just closes it after I start it.
It's because you need to give the program a series of arguments when you run it. Since you don't seem to be familiar with command line programs, let me be more precise. Sorry if the following explanations are actually too simple for you (better safe than sorry) ;)

- First, create a new directory somewhere on your hard drive. Make it short and simple, it's temporary, so let's say you've created a "Temp" directory at the root of your HD -> "C:\Temp\"
- Then copy the RFF.EXE file into it, and the RFF file you want to open (BLOOD.RFF in this example)
- Now open the Windows command prompt: go to Start Button -> "All Programs" (on Win7) -> "Accessories" -> "Command Prompt" (the icon is a kind of black square).
- In this command window, type "cd C:\Temp" [ENTER] to change directory (hence the "cd" command) to the temp directory you've just created
- Finally, type "rff -a BLOOD.RFF" to extract the whole archive contents.
- And voila! The extracted files are in your temp directory, you can move them where you want and delete the temp folder now.

I hope I made myself clear. :)
NoOne
Axe Zombie

Post by NoOne »

Elric wrote:
Vortex Lord wrote:Windows just closes it after I start it.
It's because you need to give the program a series of arguments when you run it. Since you don't seem to be familiar with command line programs, let me be more precise. Sorry if the following explanations are actually too simple for you (better safe than sorry) ;)

- First, create a new directory somewhere on your hard drive. Make it short and simple, it's temporary, so let's say you've created a "Temp" directory at the root of your HD -> "C:\Temp\"
- Then copy the RFF.EXE file into it, and the RFF file you want to open (BLOOD.RFF in this example)
- Now open the Windows command prompt: go to Start Button -> "All Programs" (on Win7) -> "Accessories" -> "Command Prompt" (the icon is a kind of black square).
- In this command window, type "cd C:\Temp" [ENTER] to change directory (hence the "cd" command) to the temp directory you've just created
- Finally, type "rff -a BLOOD.RFF" to extract the whole archive contents.
- And voila! The extracted files are in your temp directory, you can move them where you want and delete the temp folder now.

I hope I made myself clear. :)

RFF.EXE supports formats version 2.0,3.0 and 3.1. Format in Blood Alpha is 1.48.

You can't extract resources by this program.
NoOne
Axe Zombie

Post by NoOne »

But you can use HyperRipper from DragonUnpacker
Im found in RFF some MID files, you can get it here:
http://baitd.bloodgame.ru/files/other/alpha_midi.zip

PS: Alpha uses Doom MIDI's, so you just can hear Doom soundtracks :)
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

NoOne wrote:RFF.EXE supports formats version 2.0,3.0 and 3.1. Format in Blood Alpha is 1.48.

You can't extract resources by this program.
Ah, my mistake, I thought it uses format version 2.0. I'll take a closer look at that and will hopefully add support for version 1.48 in the next few days then.
NoOne
Axe Zombie

Post by NoOne »

Elric wrote:Ah, my mistake, I thought it uses format version 2.0. I'll take a closer look at that and will hopefully add support for version 1.48 in the next few days then.

Im too want to see resources from Alpha. It can be very useful for mods like NAITD.
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

I've uploaded new ReBUILD snapshots (timestamp: 120822) including RFF 0.3-beta which supports RFF format 1.48. Let me know how it works for you.
NoOne
Axe Zombie

Post by NoOne »

Elric wrote:I've uploaded new ReBUILD snapshots (timestamp: 120822) including RFF 0.3-beta which supports RFF format 1.48. Let me know how it works for you.
You godlike! :D

Works fine, but it too late if Jace release source blahblahblah...
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

Heh thanks. :) I'm glad it's working for you.

What about you Vortex Lord? Were you able to extract what you wanted?
Vortex Lord
Rat

Post by Vortex Lord »

Elric wrote:Heh thanks. :) I'm glad it's working for you.

What about you Vortex Lord? Were you able to extract what you wanted?
I forgot about my post here. I got the music I liked a lot, don't plan to use it (until I try to make a Blood TC for HeXen) but to listen to it when in the right mood.

Off topic:
Judging by your avatar you are a WC3 fan, are you on The Hive Workshop? I'm known there as DEAD FiSH. I used to make my scenarios for WC3, till I started modding Doom, then eventually I focused on HeXen only. Favorite game! I enjoy Blood too a lot, more than Duke Nukem 3D.
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

Vortex Lord wrote:Off topic:
Judging by your avatar you are a WC3 fan, are you on The Hive Workshop? I'm known there as DEAD FiSH. I used to make my scenarios for WC3, till I started modding Doom, then eventually I focused on HeXen only. Favorite game! I enjoy Blood too a lot, more than Duke Nukem 3D.
I don't think I can be considered a proper "WC3 fan", although I really liked playing this game. I was still playing it at the time I had to pick an avatar for these forums, and so the Demon Hunter appeared like a natural choice to me. :)
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

This is way off topic but...
Vortex Lord:
I got the music I liked a lot, don't plan to use it (until I try to make a Blood TC for HeXen)
The most recent ports of Doom might, just might make a decent episode for Blood. Generally speaking however, Doom is too weak of an engine (even in Hexen format) to pull of a good Blood tribute. I hope you'll reconsider.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

N0t_mINe wrote:The most recent ports of Doom might, just might make a decent episode for Blood. Generally speaking however, Doom is too weak of an engine (even in Hexen format) to pull of a good Blood tribute. I hope you'll reconsider.
I never really understood why this was an issue. If someone wants to put Blood assets on another engine for fun, and assuming nobody comes up with a legal complaint, what the hell is the harm? How does it tarnish anything?