Jace Hall's Blood project at posty.

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Jace Hall's Blood project at posty.

Post by N0t_mINe »

Over at posty it looks like Jace Hall has proposed a Blood project that would involve a release of the Blood source code.

http://www.the-postmortem.com/forum/vie ... 571#p47571

If you're not on DD's "insane heretics who've damaged Blood forever " list you should probably mosey on over there and post a polite thought or two. For those of us who have made said list *waves hand* you have this thread to make comments in.

Here's a copy of the original:

Hello,

My name is Jason (Jace) Hall and some of you may know of me.

I have been contemplating the idea bringing Blood back and was wondering how people might feel about it or if they were interested in helping me to do it.

To be clear, I am thinking of bringing the ORIGINAL Blood game back as it was, with functionality alterations/enhancements that are similar but superior to ZDAEMON's. I would also make it work on all platforms, and not just PC. There are other things as well...

I have a very specific vision in mind for what I'd like to do, but before I go off and do it - I wanted to speak directly with the Blood community and see what the thoughts are.

My goal of course is for this all to be free, and all about gameplay and fun. You can rest assured that I have the resources to bring BLOOD back properly but like I said, I'm hoping to have the community participate in all this if it wants to so we can all do it together. This site is great and it would be great to see the Blood community grow!

What do you all think?

Jace
Please note that they're more than likely still making sure the IP addy is not that of an imposter. They haven't removed the thread though, that's a good sign.

EDIT: )08-04-2012 all edits above and below are for clarity. The bold was burning out my retinas.
Last edited by N0t_mINe on Sat Aug 04, 2012 09:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: Jace Hall's Blood project at posty.

Post by Tchernobog »

Until more comes out of this I remain dubious.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Fair enough, let's see what they come up with first.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Not sure how valid this is..
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

It looks like BON's email got a response.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Just an update, Jace has posted more over at the Postmortem thread. I figure this is a momentous enough occasion to keep people minimally informed as this is truly Blood history being made before our eyes. This is not a substitute thread, if you have comments or thoughts that you feel should be expressed, you should post those thoughts in the proper thread at posty, obeying the rules as required.

First jace:
Re: Greetings to the Blood Community

Postby JaceHall » Aug 3rd, 2012, 11:04
Have some things to do tonight so my message will have to be brief for the moment.

First, thanks for the kind welcome. I had no expectations when coming to this webstie, but its great to see that people here are really cool.

Ok - Please know that you can rest assured that I know everything that needs to be known in regard to the blood rights/legal issues.

If I indeed decide to move forward with my ideas for Blood, I certainly will be able to and will get all the support I need from all/any parties that may have legal interest in the game. You guys don't have to worry about that. There is no problem there. Handled.

One thing to also know is that if I go ahead and attempt to bring Blood back, I will be the one actually paying the bill. It is certainly going to cost money to do this, and I will not likely be getting my money back. It will be all for the fun of it. Just something to know.

I think it would good for the community to beging to create a "dream list" of all the things that they would hope for with Blood. In regard to the source code, I have reservations about releasing it due to it making it that much easier for people to cheat/hack whatever new system I put in place - and part of what I'm hoping to achieve with this potential project is a game that really allows people to build measurable value in their cummulative game accomplishments.

Anyway, I have to go now but hello everyone!
Jace
Now Dimebog, who is a moderator over at The Postmortem:
Just a reminder to everyone looking to post in this thread: please do not make off-topic posts in this thread to simply express your awe. If you just joined the forums, it would be nice if you introduced yourself first.

Also, there are other threads in the Spare Parts section where you can discuss Jace's presence and whatnot, but let this thread remain strictly on topic so that useful information is easy to find.

The "BLOOD" section of the forums is strictly about BLOOD and other topics will be moved or deleted.
A lot of people are trying to register to the forums and just flood this thread to say "hi" without reading the rules
or introducing themselves to the forum. Not everything can make it in here, please use appropriate threads and
sections.

... posts about fan created content that wants to make it's way in will be moved to the "Modifications" section or deleted from now on, since that is very far from the topic discussed. Jace properly placed this thread in the "BLOOD" section and the intention is to gather information about what kind of functionality people would like to see added to the game, especially when it comes to multiplayer and community.

This is a project that, as far as I understand, is attempting to not only port the game to other platforms but also provide a platform itself and a competitive environment for players who want to revisit one of the best designed deathmatch experiences. Something like QuakeLive, perhaps.

Speaking of which, I bet Jace is pretty good at Bloodbath... Would be cool if he actually allows top ranked players
to challenge him officially (like once suggested in the blood readme file:)).

Come on guys! Keep the thread on topic!

Use the link at the top of the thread to check out a growing conversation over at Posty.
Last edited by N0t_mINe on Sat Aug 04, 2012 09:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I fired him off an email last night with a few questions of my own as well:
Hey there.

Yes it's me. For realz. :)

If I decide to go forward with my ideas for Blood, it will be all legal and legit so don't worry.. no problems there!

Currently, I wasn't thinking of including Linux on the client side of supported platforms, but that's one of those things that I would look closely at when the time comes and see what makes sense.

Hope that answers your questions!

Stay great!
Jace
Caleb88
Cultist

Post by Caleb88 »

These are news I really like to hear....or lets say....
BRUTALLY AWESOME!!! Finally a big move in the blood-franchise. If it's done good maybe this also inspirates some people from...hrrm...MONOLITH :guns: ....to make a new Blood-game. I would love to see this day coming.
No seriously... Jace Hall, you made some people very very very happy today =)
Daedolon
Cultist

Post by Daedolon »

N0t_mINe wrote:If you're not on DD's "insane heretics who've damaged Blood forever " list you should probably mosey on over there and post a polite thought or two.
:lol: I can assure you that even if he had such a list it would not prevent people from joining our forums.
Corbin wrote:Not sure how valid this is..
It is him, he used one of his official emails to register.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Daedolon wrote:
:lol: I can assure you that even if he had such a list it would not prevent people from joining our forums.
Thank you for the kind invitation Daedolon. Unfortunately my presence would be provocative even if tolerated. This situation is way too important to risk derailment or misunderstandings of any kind in my view, and I can't bare the thought of such a situation becoming the least bit parochial just because I showed up. Not now, not when you have company over :) . It should be mentioned that everything I could say has been said by others, stated in a way far more elegantly than anything I could come up with.
If I stumble upon anything earth shattering I'll certainly create an account and post it in the Jace thread at Postmortem. For now however, everything is going swimmingly. Watching history unfold while making others aware of it is good enough for me.

I just wish the Tfn quit-claim was more than a mere resource license at this point. It's not being used right now by anyone over here, and if expanding an existing license rather than creating a new one changed the dynamics of ongoing negotiations, above mentioned license would finally have paid off for the community. I understand going for the gold, but a silver or even a bronze is nothing to sneeze at, not after almost 15 years of immobility on this issue.

Even a limited source release is starting to look good.

-zZaRDoZz
Last edited by N0t_mINe on Thu Aug 09, 2012 04:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

A qualification from Jace:
I'm getting a lot of direct e-mails from the Blood community about all this and unfortunately I dont have time to have 8 different conversations about this at the same time, so I would kindly ask that we keep the Blood discussion here and out of my e-mail box for the time being!

I'm glad to see some excitement about the idea, and as I said previously, I am thinking about this seriously - but I need everyone to understand that releasing the source is not my call and I do not think it is likely due to the fact that the entities that would have to agree to do it have no concept of why they would ever allow such a thing.
With that being said, I know that I can personally ge/already havet all the necessary rights/support to follow through on my ideas for bringing BLOOD back, and making everything I do available forthe community to play - so that is not a problem.

I hope that made sense.
Please use the link in the original post above to make a reply directly to Jace on this issue. Please abide by posty's rules of conduct and regulations regarding the Jace thread specifically (hint: stay on topic).
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Well, we will see what happens. I am getting a tad excited, but I am still trying to stay measured about this. The day I can actually write an article about this new project for the Wiki will be the day I will be shouting hallelujah. :)

EDIT: I have done some tweaking though:
http://www.blood-wiki.org/index.php/Jason_Hall
http://www.blood-wiki.org/index.php/Main_Page
hund_
Axe Zombie

Post by hund_ »

at least we know who to bitch slap to get the code now if he does'nt follow through on his words ;)
Daedolon
Cultist

Post by Daedolon »

I don't think it's a good idea to start harassing both Jace and Saettler now for the source since it's not up to them to release it. The main thing here is to concentrate on the possibility of a proper re-release of our beloved game.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

I just posted on that thread a couple of minutes ago. I hope it went through as I didn't see my post there afterwards. I'm used to the Transfusion and perhaps it takes a while to update (maybe a lot of users at once?)