Implementing Difficulty Settings

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

DwayneA
Zealot

Implementing Difficulty Settings

Post by DwayneA »

After playtesting the LOI1 remake, I've decided that in order to improve replayability, to implement difficulty settings just as Bloatoid did in Death Wish.

I need to decide exactly how many enemies and items should be on each level for each difficulty. I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on how to improve replayability for the game. Exactly how do you determine how many enemies and items you need for each difficulty and where to put them?
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Re: Implementing Difficulty Settings

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

It's all a matter of taste actually. Many think of higher difficulty as just more enemies, but I disagree with this in some cases. Sometimes more isn't better but like I said, it depends on the situation.

Example:Maybe you have a spawn trigger in a map, when the player triggers it, 2 zombies spawn. In higher difficulties maybe 2 gargoyles spawn? In even higher 2 zombies and 2 gargoyles? Maybe the enemies spawn 20 feet away from you in normal mode but in harder modes they spawn right on top of you?

Another thing to think about that you mentioned would be weapons, ammo and powerups. If you have a level with 10 mobs attacking at once it might be easy to cut through them with the tesla cannon but in harder modes you cant get that weapon at that point. Health powerups and ammo should also be reduced in harder modes. Not to the point where it makes the map annoying but makes it challenging.

You could also close some parts of your larger maps off if they are not necessary in easier modes, or secret rooms. Make them only available in harder modes.

Example:You have a normal level with a door at some point and you need to pass through this door to continue on with the level. On normal modes you fight and kill enemies to get to the door and pass through. On harder modes the door is locked and requires a key which is located in a room full of enemies that is not available in easier modes.

Just some quick ideas.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I totally agree with ILA. That was one of the things that made me fall in love with Blood- as difficulty goes up, the damage recieved does too, and damage you deal goes down. Not only those individual tweaks, but as ILA was saying, maps are incredibly customizable for each difficulty. As a mapper, you can make a monster spawn in difficulties 1, 3, and 5 but not 2 or 4 (or any combination you want). I don't think Monolith took it so far as to customize levels to only trigger certain sectors events on certain difficulty levels, though the game engine had that capacity built in. However, they did build in some additional features which would only trigger certain events for map geometry for a given level on certain play modes, e.g. multiplayer, etc. These were actually used. For example, on level E1M3, you might notice missing crates in bloodbath mode, if you search in the cargo room. <3
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

How about you make it so on higher difficulty levels you can not escape Stone Gargoles by crouching? :P :wink:
DwayneA
Zealot

Post by DwayneA »

is that even possible?
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

DwayneA wrote:is that even possible?
Not in mapedit, at least i doubt it.

It's very difficult for people without access to your maps to make comments on how things should be Dwayne. Now if you are talking guidelines instead of actual figures, say, at the hardest difficulty there is always less damage points for available ammo than there are life points for enemies as an example, then maybe the community could come up with some ideas.
DwayneA
Zealot

Post by DwayneA »

here's what I got so far other than more monsters on higher difficulties:

-locations of most keys differs. On higher difficulties you will need to solve a puzzle or kill a tough monster to get the key.
-some items and ammo are changed or removed on higher difficulties, including in secret areas.
-The path you take through some levels can change.
-Tougher monsters replace some less powerful monsters in higher difficulties.
-Some spawnable enemies will not spawn in easier difficulties.
-Certain traps will not function in easier difficulties.
-Some special effects are disabled in easier difficulties.
-Some switches will not require keys in easier modes.
-Combination lock puzzle solutions depend on difficulty.
-Some items have their locations changed in harder difficulty settings.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I second that motion.