Blood2 extra-crispy, new mod

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

dosgamer000
Acolyte

Re: Blood2 extra-crispy, new mod

Post by dosgamer000 »

I honestly am dealing with plenty of personal problems with my family right now. I am completely aware of the new release of Extra Crispy but I can never get myself to try it because things keep bumping in the way. I love this series to death like everyone else here but sometimes I simply have to put Blood to the side. Picking and choosing how to spend my free-time (which sadly is increasingly fleeting) is something I find myself doing alot now. So if you feel ignored that is not the case at all and I guess I apologize if I haven't been on this site as much as I could.
N0t_mINe wrote:Hello VGames, allow me to start by saying you have every right to feel let down by this community. On the surface it looks as if Blood is off to a good start this year, we have the Revelations release, followed by your own fairly extensive mod. And yet I can't escape the sense that lithtech has burned us one more time- perhaps for the last time. The Revelations release was bare of any code or those plugins that were mentioned. Windows 10 is going to increase the amount of emulation required for lithtech games, The technical problems faced by blood2 seem as if they are getting worse faster than we can generate work-arounds to fix them. My feeble attempts to contact an actual license holder of one version of lithtech feel as if they were brushed away.

To make matters graver still, there is a whole community of mappers for Blood that we have only the weakest of ties to. They churn out 20, maybe 30 maps a year for classic blood, and if one of them were to say hi to me on facebook, I wouldn't even recognize him/her.

So no- it isn't your fault nor does it reflect on the quality of your hard work and dedication VGames. It's a p*** poor environment we find ourselves in, and I'm pretty sure that if there's a way out, it will come from agknowledging the issues we face and facing them together or this sense of drifting will only become our 'new normal'. I don't know about you, but I'm sick to death of new normals.
It frustrates me so much how the hand this game series was dealt is so lackluster. It deserves so many more things but it is simply not the case. Rarely do I see a new map on bloodfreeminded.de and Death Wish is probably going to be the greatest fan endevour for Blood 1 in a long time. The Blood community here has a certain sense of solidarity in my honest opinion. I am apart of another poorly treated game fandom and it has even less members than Blood. There is hardly a place where they can come together and really start to try to bring their series to life again. But I think we are capable of doing SOMETHING to jump-charge popularity. I've seen quite a few people on the Transfusion of late so surely Extra Crispy and other Blood things are making people interested. I hope this continues.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

I'm not let down. I understand u all got lives to live. I just thought that after a week somebody would have something to say. I was more upset with the lack of support from ModDB. The mod was just headlined today and I finally got a respond from them after a week. Bad support IMHO. I'm sure if I had been needing support for my Doom 3 mod I would have gotten word much faster. I know I have in the past. Play it when u can and be sure to rate my mod at ModDB. I've noticed a small drop in the mods rating when I expected an increase. I think its from a rating of 2 that was given by this one guy. I've contacted him to ask why he rated so low. I haven't got a rating like that since version 1 and those were from Kurt and his buddies.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Ah, so it was released on March 2nd. No wonder I missed it. Having a cow calve at 2:00 in the morning only to be greeted by an arctic storm with a windchill of -25 ºC tends to keep you occupied.

So I am downloading it now and have updated the Extra Crispy article on the Blood Wiki, as well as giving you a News post on our main page. I also bumped my Mod DB rating up from 9 to 10 as a reward for your efforts and interaction with the community, which has now returned you to an average rating of 8. I will share some more of my thoughts when I get the chance to play it.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Wow thanks a lot. Im blushing. Can't wait to hear more from you.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Here are my thoughts after playing the first five levels of the game.
If the true promise of Extra Crispy was to give us a completely new experience then it is with the release of version five that the modification delivers, so much so that for people such as myself who are both very fond of and very familiar with the original game some of the changes can actually be rather jarring. Unlike the previous releases this one can not be seen as an extended game patch, even if you do decide to turn off most of the additional sound and visual effects as I previously did. If you really want to get the most out of this modification now you do need to jump into it feet first, but if you do you will not be disappointed.

While it is very much different from the original game that first grabbed me it does offer up enough of its own compelling elements to warrant your attention, and might even possibly convince some of the unconverted over to Blood II. I must admit to getting much more invested in the gun fights, using cover and environmental objects far more frequently than I would back when I was playing the original game. The run and gun nature of the original has been more fully refined and exploited, creating encounters that are both more subtle and more frantic at the same time. Everything has been taken up to the eleven, and while I may still keep version four around for more traditional playthroughs, version five certainly brings enough of its own to the table to breath plenty of new life into this sixteen year old shooter.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/blood-2-the-c ... py/reviews
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

About MODDB;

It's one vote per project or one vote per release? I voted a 10 years ago, while the score remains 31 votes total.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

N0t_mINe wrote:It's one vote per project or one vote per release? I voted a 10 years ago, while the score remains 31 votes total.
One vote per project.

I am experiencing something of a strange bug on C1L6: Center for Disease Management wherein some of the Cultists get stuck in the floor and are no longer susceptible to bullets. Sometimes they get back up again, otherwise I need to clear them with explosives.

The fact that I keep finding myself actively using Remote Bombs in Extra Crispy is definitely an accomplishment though, considering that the bombs were always one of the weaker parts of Blood II's arsenal, even though they were the best thing in Blood.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Yeah its one vote per project. Thanks for all the support. I was hoping the requirement for the enhancer packs in version 5 wouldn't upset you to much Tchernobog. I know how u prefered not to use the enhancer pack before. But your review summed up your opinion completely. Thanks.

More then likely that glitch has to do with the map design. I feel like I've seen that somewhere else but in a specific part of the map. I so wish we could edit the original maps. I'd love to stitch up dumb flaws like these and add more map objects to them.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I see you now have a rating of 8.2 on Mod DB.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Yeah I saw that. That guy that gave me a 2 apologized for that. He said it was a mistake. So that helped the rating. Yesterday the mod hit a very surprising rank 25 out of 23,309 mods. Very happy with that.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

VGames wrote: More then likely that glitch has to do with the map design. I feel like I've seen that somewhere else but in a specific part of the map. I so wish we could edit the original maps. I'd love to stitch up dumb flaws like these and add more map objects to them.
There is a way to replicate something very similar to that error. Save a game in a mod, say darkact, then shut b2 down. Restart the game and load another mod, say fx enhancer. Reload the game saved earlier while using the different rez, notice how often enemies will spawn in the floor while remaining frozen. I do agree with Vgames that there is something about the cdm level that's prone to this problem.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

So I have now won the first Chapter of Blood II with Extra Crispy Version 5 turned on, sort of.

I got through the CDC level by running past a few Cultists embedded in the floor and leaving them there after I ran out of explosives. After that the Airship levels might well have been a little too overpopulated, but I still managed to make my way through them with great difficulty. The later levels were significantly easier to traverse, and the Naga is definitely far more simple to defeat with two Juggernaut Grenade Launchers, something that left me only with sitting through the final cutscene.

...and then Gabby shoots me dead with her minigun in the middle of it.

I managed to get through this by defeating the Naga from the top of the ledge, safely out of the way of Gabby's fire. She was still gunning for me though.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

She shot u??

I've never seen her do that. My beta testers never said anything about it either. Why do u think she shot u?
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

VGames wrote:I've never seen her do that. My beta testers never said anything about it either. Why do u think she shot u?
I have encountered it in Blood II straight before, but not as often as this. The cutscene starts, and then it returns to gameplay before it is completely finished, resulting in a very angry Gabby. It might have something to do with my using grenades, as the splash damage might affect her model hiding out behind the wall.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

That's what I was thinking before u said it. I have increased blast radiuses for most of the explosions so that's probably why you're seeing it more. Maybe setting her to be invincible would help. Not sure if she would respond to the damage anyways though. Definitely something I'll look into in the next release. Great find.