The Blood Wiki - Change Hosts?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

The Blood Wiki - Change Hosts?

Post by Tchernobog »

I mentioned a little while ago that we may have some news soon. Well, we now have the moving vans beckoning, and it is up to our readers and contributors to decide whether or not we invite them in or send them away.
A little over a month ago we at the Blood Wiki received an invitation from a recently setup Wiki farm to move our service away from our current Wiki host, namely Wiki-Site.com, to their own infrastructure. We have spent the time since then evaluating their service and discussing our needs and requirements with the administrators over at Tropical Wikis, and they have been more than happy to answer all of the questions we posed.
You can read the full move proposal and the reasons for it here: http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Bl ... e_Proposal
As you can see, there is much that is in Tropical Wikis favour, and what is not are only minor concerns that do not weigh them down by much. But, even though we as administrators have the final say when it comes to the operation of the Wiki, we like to think that we alone do not make the Blood Wiki's policies, and a vote will be opened up to decide on whether or not this move should take place. It will be open for one week, with the poll opening today (March 5, 2011) and ending next Saturday (March 12, 2011). You must be a registered user to vote, although anyone is welcome to make comments, which can be made on the vote page itself or on a thread I wil l be starting on the Transfusion Forums. During this time I will also be contacting all affected parties in an attempt to make the potential move as smooth as possible. We would also be keeping the old page up as a redirect for as long as possible.
You can vote on the issue here: http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Bl ... hange_Host

You can decide the future of the Wiki. Choose wisely.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Re: The Blood Wiki - Change Hosts?

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I voted yes.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Yeah, I noticed. The problem is you are not a registered user (or at least you did not vote as one) on the Wiki, and I am afraid we can not take votes from non-members. I have instead moved your vote to the comments section. We still take it as an endorsement, thank you for that. :)
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I am registered, I registered before I voted.....
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Well, I threw a wrench in there and voted no with a condition. I will donate to any hosting needs the project needs. I left a quick note about my offering, which would include the donation of a domain to the project, and of course, backups are no issue. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about my offering.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I Live...AGAIN wrote:I am registered, I registered before I voted.....
Okay, sorry about that Joe, but you did not link to your user page so I was unaware. Fixed it now.
Willis wrote:Well, I threw a wrench in there and voted no with a condition. I will donate to any hosting needs the project needs. I left a quick note about my offering, which would include the donation of a domain to the project, and of course, backups are no issue. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about my offering.
Whoa, suddenly we have friends everywhere. :)

We will get back to you as soon as I can on this, right now I have a lot taking up my time and it seems everyone is trying to ask me questions.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

After having a few discussions with Willis I have added DeathMask as a third option to the ongoing vote:
About two days after the polls opened we received yet another offer for hosting. This time it is courtesy of William Weilep, known to the community as Wills. He is most famous for his DeathMask website, his work on the Transfusion project, and of course his awe inspiring collection of Blood products and memorabilia. He also has generously provided hosting to other Blood fan projects, including Bloody Pulp Fiction and the Transfusion project itself. He has promised to offer weekly flat-file backups, daily database backups, as well as on-demand backups whenever we request them. But most importantly, he has even gone as far as to offer us our own domain name, with blood-wiki.com or bloodwiki.org seeming to be the leading available candidates. His servers are running CentOS 5.5 x64, Apache 2.2.17, PHP 5.3.5, MySql 5.1.41, with major updates done at least quarterly.
http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Bl ... e_Proposal

I have also extended the polls until March 16, 2011 and will do my best to inform everyone affected about the current situation. If you have already voted, you can still choose to change your vote at any time while the polls are open. All the administrators are likely to change our votes to support the new option.

http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Bl ... rent_Votes
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I changed my vote to Deathmask, I dont do anything html besides cut and paste so I didnt link to my user page.

You can fix it if you like.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

I'd love to vote but the main wiki keeps crashing on me. Butchering those html tags in the b2 section a few years ago made me weary of all wiki editing. I'll go with deathmask if you'll take my vote here. (dr. zalost is my handle btw)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I added your vote manually. Hopefully your crashes will be disappear after the move.

I would also not get too terribly worried about screwing up page formatting, as I can easily fix honest mistakes. What irritates me is the damn formatting errors the stupid WYSIWYG editor does, such as double linking everything. Even after we kill the damn thing it will take a little while to repair the damage caused by that.

And I also linked your vote to your user page Joe.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Put me down for voting +1 for deathmask. I've always thought the server was unstable - as I edit my page semi-frequently, it was only able to load it up less than half the time. Often I'd make edits and publish, to have the page crash, and the new data lost.

I would do it but I can't access it because of the same issue.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

All right, I will add your vote as well then.

I guess I never specifically diagnosed that problem because my internet connection is so crappy all pages act like that. :P

But as I said, hopefully such issues will disappear after the move.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

The vote on whether or not we should change hosts passed unanimously in favour of DeathMask. If you desire, you can still see the results from the Vote Archives article. We shall now continue to be in disscusions with William Weilep on how to best proceed with the move.
http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Bl ... e/Archives
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

As we are in the process of changing hosts, please refrain from making any edits to the Blood Wiki at this time. We will most likely announce the new website at the end of the week.
Work is going well, we are now up on the new server and all that is basically left is to smooth out any remaining wrinkles. :)
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Great news!